More Stupidity in Government

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2015, 06:16 AM
More Stupidity in Government
OK -- more dumb shit from our elected officials....

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business...53126.html

The gist -- Michigan legislators want to suspend the sales tax on the purchase of gun locks and safes to "lower crime" by "increasing lock sales" -- somehow making guns "safer".

The problem --- Michigan has for YEARS been REQUIRING the purchase of a gun lock -- or provide proof of the ownership of a locking device (the lock, plus the purchase receipt). Furthermore -- Michigan ALREADY makes firearm owners civilly and even criminally liable -- if their firearms are stolen and used in a crime. The only way you're exempt - is if they are stored in a locked gun safe.

So guess what? The RESPONSIBLE people already lock up their guns. I do. Everyone I know does.

So what is this legislation going to do???? Do they expect the irresponsible morons to rush out and buy a 3000 dollar safe, because they're going to save 6 percent?

That's likely, huh?

It's just a politician trying to look good for a photo op.....

Typical fuckstick politico shit.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
17-09-2015, 11:12 AM
RE: More Stupidity in Government
I think it's in the Constitution that nobody with an IQ above about 17 is allowed to hold elected office.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
[+] 1 user Likes daniel1948's post
17-09-2015, 03:37 PM
(17-09-2015 06:16 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  OK -- more dumb shit from our elected officials....

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business...53126.html

The gist -- Michigan legislators want to suspend the sales tax on the purchase of gun locks and safes to "lower crime" by "increasing lock sales" -- somehow making guns "safer".

The problem --- Michigan has for YEARS been REQUIRING the purchase of a gun lock -- or provide proof of the ownership of a locking device (the lock, plus the purchase receipt). Furthermore -- Michigan ALREADY makes firearm owners civilly and even criminally liable -- if their firearms are stolen and used in a crime. The only way you're exempt - is if they are stored in a locked gun safe.

So guess what? The RESPONSIBLE people already lock up their guns. I do. Everyone I know does.

So what is this legislation going to do???? Do they expect the irresponsible morons to rush out and buy a 3000 dollar safe, because they're going to save 6 percent?

That's likely, huh?

It's just a politician trying to look good for a photo op.....

Typical fuckstick politico shit.

If a tax break to an oil company is a subsidy, then this is also a subsidy. It is not that the law makers are necessarily stupid, but rather they are probably just returning a favor to some campaign donors who just happen to be in the business of making gun safes and such. Those donors/businesses could increase the price of their products by 6% and not worry about a negative impact on sales if this law passes. It is clearly a win for someone.
17-09-2015, 04:08 PM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2015 04:16 PM by epronovost.)
@Heywood Jahblome

I don't think so. According to onelinebiker, if you have a gun, you are pretty much forced by the law to buy a gun lock. This means that no matter the price, if you have a gun, you need to buy one. When it comes to taxes on product, it's generally accepted that if these products are essential to live they should not be taxed (at least, that's the case in my country). For that reason, products like bread, milk, fruits and vegetables that aren't imported, toilet paper, tooth paste and, very recently, tampon and pads aren't taxable product. If the law forced me to buy a certain product, it would also be non-taxable because it's considered a necessity. Removing the tax on gun lock might be an attempt to alleviate the potential issues raised by the fact that we force people with guns to buy one. Considering this comes from a Conservative politician, it would make sense. It allows him to claim that he reduced taxes on a symbolic product and help his fellow citizens to save a few dollars here and there (provided there is no price hike for those products). In truth it doesn't change anything to the lives of people, but it's better than a kick in the nuts. I don't think it's an evil ploy from a crooked politician. It's a small politician tackling a small issue with a small change. Real life at work, nothing much to see here. But, It's just my hypothesis. I don't know the guy or the local laws.