More US Police Shootings...

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
08-10-2016, 08:19 PM
More US Police Shootings...
I was truly disgusted to read this item on my local (Aussie) news feed a few minutes ago...

House surrounded after two police shot dead, one wounded, in Palm Springs, California

And despite this, the average (?) American still hold their gun freedoms dear. Unbelievable.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2016, 11:25 AM
RE: More US Police Shootings...
A young mother and an officer on the eve of his retirement. That's pretty much Hollywood standards for sad and tragic. I don't believe any form of gun control could have prevented this particular tragedy (beside a total ban on private storing of guns and/or ammunitions), but it does raise the attention on the severe deficiency of the healthcare system and the taboo surrounding men and psychological issues. Cases of domestic violence could be mitigated by better services in those two areas.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
09-10-2016, 11:45 AM
(09-10-2016 11:25 AM)epronovost Wrote:  A young mother and an officer on the eve of his retirement. That's pretty much Hollywood standards for sad and tragic. I don't believe any form of gun control could have prevented this particular tragedy (beside a total ban on private storing of guns and/or ammunitions), but it does raise the attention on the severe deficiency of the healthcare system and the taboo surrounding men and psychological issues. Cases of domestic violence could be mitigated by better services in those two areas.

That's the problem, too many people don't believe any form of gun control could have prevented this particular tragedy. Facepalm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
09-10-2016, 12:34 PM
(09-10-2016 11:45 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(09-10-2016 11:25 AM)epronovost Wrote:  A young mother and an officer on the eve of his retirement. That's pretty much Hollywood standards for sad and tragic. I don't believe any form of gun control could have prevented this particular tragedy (beside a total ban on private storing of guns and/or ammunitions), but it does raise the attention on the severe deficiency of the healthcare system and the taboo surrounding men and psychological issues. Cases of domestic violence could be mitigated by better services in those two areas.

That's the problem, too many people don't believe any form of gun control could have prevented this particular tragedy. Facepalm

What form of gun control do you think could have averted this particular tragedy (beside total ban on private storing of guns and/or ammunition, or downright ban on private ownership of guns)?

09-10-2016, 12:36 PM
(09-10-2016 12:34 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(09-10-2016 11:45 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  That's the problem, too many people don't believe any form of gun control could have prevented this particular tragedy. Facepalm

What form of gun control do you think could have averted this particular tragedy (beside total ban on private storing of guns and/or ammunition, or downright ban on private ownership of guns)?

Evidently none. Confused
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
09-10-2016, 02:31 PM
Quote:(beside total ban on private storing of guns and/or ammunition, or downright ban on private ownership of guns)?

That might help.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
09-10-2016, 02:37 PM
(09-10-2016 11:45 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  

Without knowing whose gun it was and how he got it, it's hard to formulate a solution.

Was it his?
Was it legally owned/possessed?
Did he have a history of mental health problems or violent behavior?
And so on.

I'm all for gun control that addresses actual problems with actual solutions.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
11-10-2016, 03:20 PM
I know this is a bit frivolous, but why isn't the white population of Palm Springs rioting in the streets like when an African-American criminal is shot by a cop? No looting of storefronts, no firebombings, no vandalism of public buildings, no assaults.

Apparently the Californian BLM movement (Ms Patrisse Cullors, I mean you) doesn't give a toss when a couple of innocent LEOs are murdered in cold blood. Where's their voice publicly condemning this?

Apparently a couple of police officers (one a 35-year vet) are dispensable, but a low-life black gang-banger's life is sacrosanct according to the BLM. Anybody see a double standard here? Dodgy

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
11-10-2016, 05:03 PM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2016 05:08 PM by epronovost.)
(11-10-2016 03:20 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I know this is a bit frivolous, but why isn't the white population of Palm Springs rioting in the streets like when an African-American criminal is shot by a cop? No looting of storefronts, no firebombings, no vandalism of public buildings, no assaults.

Apparently the Californian BLM movement (Ms Patrisse Cullors, I mean you) doesn't give a toss when a couple of innocent LEOs are murdered in cold blood. Where's their voice publicly condemning this?

Apparently a couple of police officers (one a 35-year vet) are dispensable, but a low-life black gang-banger's life is sacrosanct according to the BLM. Anybody see a double standard here? Dodgy

Have you forgotten that BLM is an activist mouvement with a precise set of concerns that doesn't include police being killed in the line of duty by a mentally unstable person? Activist groups have a narrow focus because that's their reason of existence: solve one issue. BLM is concerned with police officer killing people on the line of duty because they consider many of those deaths either avoidable or downright criminal. The fact that police officers sometimes get injured or killed is tragic, but in no way makes the deaths of people killed by the police less (or more) tragic in many circomstances. The fact that an activist group against police violence doesn't speak against violence commited against the police is also irrelevent. That's not why the group exist and is relevent in the first place, much like the UNICEF doesn't care about the lack of healthcare and social isolation of elderly persons. BLM objective are in no way opposite to those of an activist group who would try to fight violence against the police.

As for your comment as to why is there no rioting following the death of those two police officers, it might be have to do with the fact that this sort of event is rare. There are more taxi drivers or cashiers killed each year (in proportion) than police officers in the US and those who are killed are usually considered as good people who died a noble death for which they are frequently medalled posthumously. They have paid funerals and insurrence to compensate their familly. Comparing the treatment of victims of police shooting vs police officers being shot is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. Police officers dying on the line of duty have a much better press no matter the circomstances surrounding their death. Its completly normal considering that when police officers are killed its usually when they are trying to help someone in extremely dangerous situation. Considering their job description, polce officers are expected to put themselves in harms way. Its even surprising that so few of them are killed each year considering the risks. When it does, its normal it doesn't shock us as much.

http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-d...atercooler