More conversations with theists who are dicks (UPDATE)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2015, 02:16 PM
RE: More conversations with theists who are dicks
TC,

Nice job. I had the same sort of experience with my SIL a couple of years ago. She challenged me to a debate, then when I was too educated and prepared for her, she emailed her deacon all of my responses so she could use his words to fight me. Then, when I made him look foolish he ran as well.

This guy's response was so typical, trying to make himself seem superior while running from a fight. It's the product of the truly uneducated and in the poker world we call this a tell. When amateur poker players have a weak hand but they don't want to lose they act strong, displaying intimidating behavior and staring at you to intimidate you. It's classic. If this person had the winning hand,why would they be trying to discourage you from calling their bet? Same with this assmaggot. If he truly had answers for you and could speak intelligently from his side, why would he try to make you feel ignorant and flee?

So transparent.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like WillHopp's post
02-09-2015, 03:29 PM
(02-09-2015 01:10 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  TC,
You write well. You were polite, respectful and thorough. This guy's answer shows that he knew he was up against a real foe and not a sheep like the ones who usually bleat when he pontificates. So, he cut and ran. You definitely deserved a better answer than the one you got. But, like you said, at least you tried.

Doc

That was my thought exactly. He's not a very good defender of his faith. He just gave up. That usually means in my experience that they know they are not dealing with someone who will be easy to put one over on.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
Find all posts by this user
02-09-2015, 03:46 PM
(02-09-2015 12:52 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(02-09-2015 12:38 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Well, it's a degree in theism, so you really can't expect that they learned much useful.

It also showcases how people behave when their beliefs are threatened. Deep down, I think all have questions/doubts but are taught by the church to suppress those. And when the doubts rise up, people react like this out of fear they might start to question as well. I had a pastor that behaved the same way whenever I would ask him questions that he did not like.

I just read an excellent article which said the same thing. I'll have to find it. I think you are right on the money. They don't see us as as someone who needs their help but rather as a threat to their own beliefs. They need our help to keep up the facade and when we don't help them it scares them. They don't actually need us to believe, all they want is us to give them the benefit of the doubt. What they can't stand is confidence and certainty.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
02-09-2015, 04:18 PM
(02-09-2015 11:54 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  You have to ask yourself one main question..... WHAT IF YOURE WRONG???? You're denying God!!!! Jesus!!!!! Look, your soul WILL go somewhere Smile

A smiley face after a hell threat? Really? Dodgy

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 4 users Like cactus's post
02-09-2015, 04:26 PM
(02-09-2015 04:18 PM)cactus Wrote:  
(02-09-2015 11:54 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  You have to ask yourself one main question..... WHAT IF YOURE WRONG???? You're denying God!!!! Jesus!!!!! Look, your soul WILL go somewhere Smile

A smiley face after a hell threat? Really? Dodgy

Not surprising in the least. When my grandma died, the preacher who did her service looked directly at me and a few of my atheist cousins and said "Only those who serve God will ever see her again. The rest of you will be stuck in Hell." and then gave us a huge creepy grin and stared at us. I don't think I've ever come so close to punching someone at a funeral.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
02-09-2015, 04:28 PM
More conversations with theists who are dicks
(02-09-2015 04:26 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(02-09-2015 04:18 PM)cactus Wrote:  A smiley face after a hell threat? Really? Dodgy

Not surprising in the least. When my grandma died, the preacher who did her service looked directly at me and a few of my atheist cousins and said "Only those who serve God will ever see her again. The rest of you will be stuck in Hell." and then gave us a huge creepy grin and stared at us. I don't think I've ever come so close to punching someone at a funeral.

I would have stood up and ripped him to pieces intellectually in front of everyone!!

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
02-09-2015, 04:32 PM
(02-09-2015 04:28 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  
(02-09-2015 04:26 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  Not surprising in the least. When my grandma died, the preacher who did her service looked directly at me and a few of my atheist cousins and said "Only those who serve God will ever see her again. The rest of you will be stuck in Hell." and then gave us a huge creepy grin and stared at us. I don't think I've ever come so close to punching someone at a funeral.

I would have stood up and ripped him to pieces intellectually in front of everyone!!

Oh believe me, I wanted to. But, as we were at my grandmother's funeral, I just scowled at him. That particular preacher was fucking nutty. Even the theists in my family were uncomfortable about his sermon. He spent 2 minutes talking about grandma, and the next 28 talking about how everyone who doesn't go to HIS church is going to hell. Seriously, the dude is so deluded he thinks only his church is the TRUE church.

Of course, this is also the same asshat that repeatedly told that same grandma that her husband was in Hell because he had committed suicide. Dodgy

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
02-09-2015, 04:48 PM
More conversations with theists who are dicks
Check mate theists. It's a good thing I'm not god because that punk ass would have the longest reign of torment I could think of.

**Crickets** -- God
02-09-2015, 05:21 PM
If I may be critical...

(02-09-2015 11:54 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  One of my fundie friends
There's your whole problem.

...however - Hug

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
02-09-2015, 07:14 PM
Geezus, TC, you have my absolute respect (and sympathy). You deserve so much better than that kind of bullshit response to your well-written missives, especially given that she reached out to him, not you, and he was willing to badmouth you before he realized you were in the loop, so to speak. I'm having SOOOOOO many flashbacks to my own "post-deconversion years". *sigh*

I'm genuinely amazed by this guy, though. Truly. The size of the testicles it takes to read a list that says, "C.S. Lewis, WLC, Gary Habermas, Paul Tillich, Josh McDowell, Lee Strobel, Raymond Brown and the likes. [...] Gunkel, Noth, von Rad, Ingersoll, Barker, Smith, Guthrie, Mack, Jonas, Schmithals, Neusner, Wellhausen, Helms, Crossan, MacDonald and more recently Barker, Carrier, Ehrman, Price and so on" ...

[or, "basically every major apologist of a layperson's/popularist level and several top-name scholars"]

...and then forward this response: "yes I see that you lack basic scholarship in the area research and epistemology on various (not to mentioned your method of merely copying the works of others), which makes interaction on advanced or even basic textual criticism (lower or higher) unproductive. Further, It seems that you have a very limited scope of sources. That tells me clearly that you not equipped to engage on the topics you mentioned.

Holy shit, dude. You listed having read the works of 26 authors, not counting any contained in the "and so on", including some he should recognize as top theological writers active today, and he has the Dogdamned audacity to claim "that you have a very limited scope of sources".

Well why don't you tell us, Mr. Theologian, what does it take, then? Let us know! Laugh out load

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post