More evidence for Jesus than Caesar?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2017, 01:59 PM
RE: More evidence for Jesus than Caesar?
(26-02-2017 01:53 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  What I observe is a community of atheists who acquired their very own fringe position, performing a series of mental gymnastics to keep it together. I'm just an observer following along in their performance, trying to put some order into their nonsense, deciphering a sort of pathological condition.

For your reading and comprehending pleasure. Here's again how historians deal with ancient texts.

Quote:Gilbert J Garraghan divides source criticism into six inquiries:[1]

When was the source, written or unwritten, produced (date)?
Where was it produced (localization)?
By whom was it produced (authorship)?
From what pre-existing material was it produced (analysis)?
In what original form was it produced (integrity)?
What is the evidential value of its contents (credibility)?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
26-02-2017, 02:01 PM
(26-02-2017 01:59 PM)abaris Wrote:  For your reading and comprehending pleasure. Here's again how historians deal with ancient texts.

Is there something in there that I'm suppose to be disagreeing with? Or you just trying to find some way to squeeze in a strawman?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
26-02-2017, 02:06 PM
(26-02-2017 02:01 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Is there something in there that I'm suppose to be disagreeing with? Or you just trying to find some way to squeeze in a strawman?

No, you're just required to comprehend. Which you don't. Obviously. And I didn't expect you to.
26-02-2017, 02:09 PM
(26-02-2017 01:22 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I would watch Caesar have gay sex with Jesus for $0.02 but since only one of them existed, ain't gonna happen.

Oops.
Derailed the derail. Back to off the rails.

Which one of them existed? Tongue

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
26-02-2017, 02:11 PM
(26-02-2017 02:09 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Which one of them existed? Tongue

The gay sex at least existed. Romans weren't homophobes.
[+] 2 users Like abaris's post
26-02-2017, 02:22 PM
(26-02-2017 02:06 PM)abaris Wrote:  No, you're just required to comprehend. Which you don't. Obviously. And I didn't expect you to.

What point have I argued here, that's reveal a lack of comprehension regarding the criteria you cited? I've only argued for a small handful of points, points that are secular in nature, such as Jesus having a brother named James. And asked some follow up questions, of individuals holding a fringe view you're unlikely to hear in any university course on the topic in question, or college textbooks on NT history.

You're the guy, who jumped into this thread, without reading any of the earlier points I raised, and erected a series of strawmen, projecting fundie evangelicals views on to me.

So if someone is not comprehending, it appears to be you.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
26-02-2017, 02:24 PM
(26-02-2017 02:22 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  So if someone is not comprehending, it appears to be you.

Really, so you agree with all that list and still maintain the NT to be a reliable source. As I said, you're the one in need of comprehending what they are talking about.
26-02-2017, 02:49 PM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2017 02:56 PM by Tomasia.)
(26-02-2017 02:24 PM)abaris Wrote:  Really, so you agree with all that list and still maintain the NT to be a reliable source. As I said, you're the one in need of comprehending what they are talking about.

Fail.

I've pretty much have stuck to one point of argument, involving the James/Jesus connection, citing Paul's first hand account of meeting him and his disciples, the NT writings collaborating that relationship, and Josephus writing of James death, indicating that relationship as well.

I've made no real arguments regarding the reliability of the NT as whole, so you pretending as if have, shows your lack of reading comprehension not mine. You're just making up arguments and ascribing them to me, hoping one of them will stick, to compensate for your failures.

I challenge you to go through the thread, read the numerous points I've raised, and find and cite the ones, that show a lack of comprehension regarding the criteria you cited. If you can't do that, then it's pretty clear whose reading comprehension could use a little work.

26-02-2017, 02:51 PM
You haven't applied one single check in the list. Which is all that matters.
26-02-2017, 03:13 PM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2017 03:16 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(26-02-2017 02:01 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(26-02-2017 01:59 PM)abaris Wrote:  For your reading and comprehending pleasure. Here's again how historians deal with ancient texts.

Is there something in there that I'm suppose to be disagreeing with? Or you just trying to find some way to squeeze in a strawman?

It was YOU that attempted to erect a strawman.
YOU asked if texts ONLY supported by Archaeology are accepted.
No one said that.
Abaris told you how History deals with written sources.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post