More evidence for Jesus than Caesar?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2017, 03:17 PM
RE: More evidence for Jesus than Caesar?
(26-02-2017 02:51 PM)abaris Wrote:  You haven't applied one single check in the list. Which is all that matters.

So nada? SO basically I don't comprehend the list, because I didn't say anything that really involves the list in question.

You've become a guy claiming that I didn't comprehend the weather, based on the fact that I did say anything about the weather today, or mention that it was sunny today.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2017, 03:26 PM
(26-02-2017 03:13 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It was YOU that attempted to erect a strawman.
YOU asked if texts ONLY supported by Archaeology are accepted.
No one said that.
Abaris told you how History deals with written sources.

Don't change my question. I didn't say anything about acceptance.

But rather your terms, "claims and beliefs", "someone wrote something"

I wanted to know whether we should treat all ancient historical accounts, eye-witness or not, that lack archaeological evidence, as "claims and beliefs", as"someone wrote something".

Or is it just some accounts, absent of archaeological evidence, that we should treat this way?

You seem to keep dodging that question, that used your own terms.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
26-02-2017, 03:27 PM
(26-02-2017 03:17 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  So nada? SO basically I don't comprehend the list, because I didn't say anything that really involves the list in question.

Read what's written.

Quote:Gilbert J Garraghan divides source criticism into six inquiries:[1]

When was the source, written or unwritten, produced (date)?
Where was it produced (localization)?
By whom was it produced (authorship)?
From what pre-existing material was it produced (analysis)?
In what original form was it produced (integrity)?
What is the evidential value of its contents (credibility)?
[/quote]

Date, localization, autorhship, analysis, integrity, credibility.

Did you apply any of that? Let alone all of that, checked against what others have to say on the same text applying the same methodology?

No, come again when you have.
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
26-02-2017, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2017 03:35 PM by Tomasia.)
(26-02-2017 03:27 PM)abaris Wrote:  Date, localization, autorhship, analysis, integrity, credibility.

Did you apply any of that? Let alone all of that, checked against what others have to say on the same text applying the same methodology?

No, come again when you have.

Yep, if you don't think I have, then show me which of any of the points I've raised, reveal that I didn't take them into account.

In reality what we have, is you operating on the basis of your own prejudices than anything I've actually said..

26-02-2017, 04:37 PM
(26-02-2017 03:17 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(26-02-2017 02:51 PM)abaris Wrote:  You haven't applied one single check in the list. Which is all that matters.

So nada? SO basically I don't comprehend the list, because I didn't say anything that really involves the list in question.

You've become a guy claiming that I didn't comprehend the weather, based on the fact that I did say anything about the weather today, or mention that it was sunny today.

Strawman. Lie. He didn't say you didn't understand the list.
You're not doing well here, Tomato. Why are you here again ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
26-02-2017, 04:39 PM
(26-02-2017 03:26 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(26-02-2017 03:13 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It was YOU that attempted to erect a strawman.
YOU asked if texts ONLY supported by Archaeology are accepted.
No one said that.
Abaris told you how History deals with written sources.

Don't change my question. I didn't say anything about acceptance.

But rather your terms, "claims and beliefs", "someone wrote something"

I wanted to know whether we should treat all ancient historical accounts, eye-witness or not, that lack archaeological evidence, as "claims and beliefs", as"someone wrote something".

Or is it just some accounts, absent of archaeological evidence, that we should treat this way?

You seem to keep dodging that question, that used your own terms.

Nope. On the contrary, YOU were given your answer in how (real) historical texts are evaluated.

YOU dodged the question, per you usual.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
26-02-2017, 04:41 PM
(26-02-2017 04:37 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Strawman. Lie. He didn't say you didn't understand the list.

Abaris: "No, you're just required to comprehend. Which you don't. Obviously. "

Quote:You're not doing well here, Tomato.

Depends on how you define well.

Quote:Why are you here again ?

Curiosity.

26-02-2017, 04:57 PM
(19-02-2017 07:24 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  This apologetic has been bandied about in various forms for decades; most notably the '10/42' style present in many apologetic books (small list and answer to the apologetic here: https://adversusapologetica.wordpress.co...-slogan/).

The fact of the matter is that many of the historical figured Jesus is oft compared to are far more well attested in history than Jesus himself.
How do we know of Julius Caeser? A good number of ways. Least of all being that he left works behind him, most notably his Commentaries on The Gallic Wars. Other sources including the surviving speeches by the Roman politician Cicero, the works by the Roman historians Sallust, Suetonius, and Plutarch, the coins baring his name and face, busts of him which survived, etc.

The best source we have for Jesus outside the New Testament is probably Josephus' Antiquities of the Jews, where he chronicles the expansion of the early Christian cult, but concerns exist that Christians may have edited the text later in time.
Well said. I like your handle. Short version=bitches be crazy

The second mouse gets the cheese.
26-02-2017, 07:05 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2017 03:32 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(26-02-2017 04:41 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Curiosity.

LMAO. Changed yet again. Facepalm

01-03-2017, 03:27 PM
The hell....did I miss something? Is there some major religion devoted to the worship of Caesar that prompts people to believe they'll live with Caesar in some perfect world after they die, and in the meantime they need to live their lives telling everyone how shitty they are and if they're gay they are going to burn/