More evidence for Jesus than Caesar?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2017, 02:15 PM
RE: More evidence for Jesus than Caesar?
(26-02-2017 02:22 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  What point have I argued here, that's reveal a lack of comprehension regarding the criteria you cited? I've only argued for a small handful of points, points that are secular in nature, such as Jesus having a brother named James. And asked some follow up questions, of individuals holding a fringe view you're unlikely to hear in any university course on the topic in question, or college textbooks on NT history.

By the way, Tommy,

I keep forgetting to point out to you something I noticed doing my daily scripture reading (Facepalm ) ... your claim that Jesus had a brother, and is the person named by Josephus is directly refuted by the Gospel of Matthew.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James,_son_of_Zebedee
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James,_brother_of_Jesus

If James "the brother of the Lord" was the Apostle James, then Alphaeus is named as his father, not Joseph, and Mary was not his mother.

Matthew 10:12
"Jesus called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority to drive out impure spirits and to heal every disease and sickness.These are the names of the twelve apostles: first, Simon (who is called Peter) and his brother Andrew; James son of Zebedee, and his brother John; 3 Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus; 4 Simon the Zealot and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him."

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
22-12-2017, 04:03 PM
(22-12-2017 02:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(26-02-2017 02:22 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  What point have I argued here, that's reveal a lack of comprehension regarding the criteria you cited? I've only argued for a small handful of points, points that are secular in nature, such as Jesus having a brother named James. And asked some follow up questions, of individuals holding a fringe view you're unlikely to hear in any university course on the topic in question, or college textbooks on NT history.

By the way, Tommy,

I keep forgetting to point out to you something I noticed doing my daily scripture reading (Facepalm ) ... your claim that Jesus had a brother, and is the person named by Josephus is directly refuted by the Gospel of Matthew.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James,_son_of_Zebedee
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James,_brother_of_Jesus

If James "the brother of the Lord" was the Apostle James, then Alphaeus is named as his father, not Joseph, and Mary was not his mother.

Matthew 10:12
"Jesus called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority to drive out impure spirits and to heal every disease and sickness.These are the names of the twelve apostles: first, Simon (who is called Peter) and his brother Andrew; James son of Zebedee, and his brother John; 3 Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus; 4 Simon the Zealot and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him."

Well, of course! Idea Facepalm I remember reading "James the son of Zebedee" in Matthew but it kinda went past me and I didn't connect the dots....or lack there of. I just remember thinking what a silly name Zebedee was.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
23-12-2017, 06:01 AM
(19-02-2017 06:45 PM)of the gray Wrote:  So I was talking to my super Christian dad, and he said there is more evidence that Jesus existed than Caesar. I really do not believe this is true at all, but I realized I actually haven't done much close research on this exact topic, so I was wondering if anyone could point me to any good places to research or if anyone has any comments on this. Thank you.

Have the definition for "evidence" engraved on a 500 block of steel. Chain him to it, drop it in a benthic trench. When he's had time to consider the issue his opinion will have changed. Drinking Beverage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-12-2017, 02:28 PM
(19-02-2017 07:58 PM)yakherder Wrote:  For Caesar salad to exist, there has to have been Caesar. I've never had a Jesus salad.

Next.

There's no proof of of the existence of Caesar Salads. There are no peer reviewed articles, therefore they don't exist.
31-12-2017, 03:01 PM
(31-12-2017 02:28 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  
(19-02-2017 07:58 PM)yakherder Wrote:  For Caesar salad to exist, there has to have been Caesar. I've never had a Jesus salad.

Next.

There's no proof of of the existence of Caesar Salads. There are no peer reviewed articles, therefore they don't exist.

Josephus wrote that he ate Caesar's salad, and gave one also to Caesar's brother.
Facepalm
You people just don't want to believe in salads as you hate vegans.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein It is objectively immoral to kill innocent babies. Please stick to the guilty babies.
31-12-2017, 03:19 PM
Archaeologists found the first evidence of J C's invasion of Britian. Um, that would be Julius Caesar not Jesus Christ.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/...n-britain/

They also may have found the spot that J. C. was murdered. Again, we're talking Julius Caesar not Jesus Christ.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/49380552/ns/te...klPitWnHrc

"Now, archaeologists have unearthed a concrete structure nearly 10 feet wide and 6.5 feet tall that may have been erected by Augustus, Julius Caesar's successor, to condemn the assassination. The structure is at the base of the Curia, or Theater, of Pompey, the spot where classical writers reported the stabbing took place. Classical texts also say that years after the assassination, the Curia was closed and turned into a memorial chapel for Caesar."

Theists probably won't accept this as evidence of Julius Caesar either, but remember that Caesar wasn't claiming he was the son of a god. If you're going to claim godhood you'd damned well better have incontrovertible evidence of this assertion. If this memorial was errected by Augustus it would have been pretty close after the death of Julius Caesar, unlike the memorials for Jesus which were a century or more later.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
31-12-2017, 05:36 PM
(31-12-2017 03:01 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(31-12-2017 02:28 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  There's no proof of of the existence of Caesar Salads. There are no peer reviewed articles, therefore they don't exist.

Josephus wrote that he ate Caesar's salad, and gave one also to Caesar's brother.
Facepalm
You people just don't want to believe in salads as you hate vegans.

That part of Josephus is a third century addition made by Romans who wanted to impose Romanized salads on Europe.
31-12-2017, 06:47 PM
Jesus mentioned Caesar but Caesar never mentioned Jesus.
Caesar 1, Jesus 0
QED

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 5 users Like unfogged's post
20-06-2018, 07:45 AM

Next.

Fun fact: Caesar salad was not named after Julius Caesar, it was named after the Mexican chef Caesar Cardini who invented the salad on New Years Eve

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”
― Christopher Hitchens
Knights who say NI!
[+] 4 users Like Injustice223's post
25-06-2018, 10:55 PM
I would've replied, what evidence for Jesus is there?

As far as I've seen, there's none. Nothing concrete, anyway.