More evidence for Jesus than Caesar?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2017, 10:51 AM
RE: More evidence for Jesus than Caesar?
(20-02-2017 10:45 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(20-02-2017 10:28 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Are we talking about Julius Caesar here ? Because if we are then I'm confused as there seems to me to be a shit load of evidence about him, how on earth can anyone seriously say there are more sources for jebus, unless I am missing something here, I await enlightenment.

There isn't any evidence that Julius Caesar existed. There's coins with his picture on it, that's not evidence he existed. There's writings about him, and a book purportedly written by someone claiming to be Julius Caeser and written in third person, still not evidence, etc.. Ceaser is likely a amalgamation of variety of historical, and mythical figures, it was a common name at the time.
Ok then by that same standard there's even less evidence for jebus ?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
20-02-2017, 10:56 AM
(20-02-2017 10:48 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(20-02-2017 10:47 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Sorry but this isn't making sense to me what kind of evidence would be acceptable to you ?

Actual evidence. I.E scientific evidence.

You mean like the tons and tons of scientific evidence for Jesus then ? Rolleyes
20-02-2017, 11:11 AM
At work.

(20-02-2017 10:47 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(20-02-2017 10:04 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

Damn, so it was aliens that built the earth work fortifications around Alesia.

*Sigh* Drinking Beverage

Yes and Romulus and Remus built Rome.

No Tomasia, we're discussing Caesar. Some one who was around long after the founding of what eventually became Rome.

Unless.... you really think aliens were responsible for the earth works around the ancient site of Alasea?

Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
20-02-2017, 11:15 AM
Fuck that ---

Have you ever ordered a Jesus salad with your dinner??

No???

CHECKMATE Theists!!!!

Tongue

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
20-02-2017, 11:17 AM
(20-02-2017 08:42 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(20-02-2017 08:27 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Also, are you saying Caesar is fictional?

No i'm just saying there's no evidence that Caesar existed. That I have no choice, but to except the default position, and that is to lack a belief.

What a dolt.
Multiple sources WHO HATED HIM, recorded his destructive path in Gaul, AND there are multiple Roman records of him.
You have nothing similar for your Jebus.
http://www.richardcarrier.info/archives/7862

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
20-02-2017, 11:19 AM
(20-02-2017 10:48 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(20-02-2017 10:47 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Sorry but this isn't making sense to me what kind of evidence would be acceptable to you ?

Actual evidence. I.E scientific evidence.

Historical methodology and the scientific method are two different things.
Some day, when you actually *do* get a real education you may learn something. No one will hold their breath.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
20-02-2017, 11:39 AM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2017 11:55 AM by TheBeardedDude.)
It's such a desperate comparison (comparing evidence for Jesus vs evidence for Caesar) that it is clearly devoid of any rational thought.

You could go through the thought experiments with your dad by imagining the two possibilities and what they mean:
1) Jesus was a real historical figure.

If this scenario is true, does that add any additional credibility to the biblical stories attributed to him? How? Why? What would being a real person matter with respect to the miraculous claims made of him? There are many characters in popular culture who existed or were based off of real people, but that doesn't mean the specific stories attributed to them are true. Take essentially any biopic film out there, like "The Imitation Game" that deals with Alan Turing's life. While the film is good, it is a heavy dramatization of his life and does not accurately reflect much of his life. Does this mean it isn't a good film with good lessons to be taught? No, but it does mean that one shouldn't simply take everything at face value because it sounds nice or fits their preconceived narrative. The reality is that the individual claims made of Jesus, would also need to be verified instead of taken at face value. It doesn't matter that Jesus was real (if we make that assumption) when it comes to the story of his resurrection. Without evidence that surviving your own death is possible, it is inconceivable and baseless to assert Jesus did. Etc, etc.

2) Jesus was not a real historical figure.

If this is the case, then what would that mean about your dad's beliefs? If his answer would be that he'd stop believing everything about the bible if Jesus weren't real, then his beliefs are already on pretty shaky ground. If he believes Jesus' teachings are valuable regardless of whether or not he is real, then it should be possible to point out that the "Jesus vs Caesar" comparison is a stupid one. Because in this latter scenario, the theist would basically be saying that it doesn't matter that there is no evidence of Jesus, because they believe there is value in the teachings and stories attributed to Jesus anyways. So why take a dishonest approach to Jesus' existence? What is the point of making that claim?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
20-02-2017, 11:58 AM
(20-02-2017 11:17 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  What a dolt.
Multiple sources WHO HATED HIM, recorded his destructive path in Gaul, AND there are multiple Roman records of him.

Still not scientific evidence.

They were likely writing about the beliefs of the Ceaser cult.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
20-02-2017, 12:08 PM
(20-02-2017 11:58 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Typical dishonest tactic from a theist Drinking Beverage

"If I just keep saying that the evidence of Caesar isn't 'scientific' then they will accept that Jesus was a real historical person because....reasons."

-Rick
20-02-2017, 12:10 PM
(20-02-2017 11:58 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Carrier notes at least 7 reliable contemporary sources for Julius Caesar. Can you name even one for Jesus? Drinking Beverage

-Rick