More evidence for Jesus than Caesar?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2017, 12:12 PM
RE: More evidence for Jesus than Caesar?
(20-02-2017 12:10 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Carrier notes at least 7 reliable contemporary sources for Julius Caesar. Can you name even one for Jesus? Drinking Beverage

None of them are scientific sources, or particularly reliable. They're just writing what the Caeser cults at the time believed.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2017, 12:14 PM
(20-02-2017 12:12 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(20-02-2017 12:10 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Carrier notes at least 7 reliable contemporary sources for Julius Caesar. Can you name even one for Jesus? Drinking Beverage

None of them are scientific sources, or particularly reliable. They're just writing what the Caeser cults at the time believed.

So that is an admitted "No, I am full of shit and I'll just keep to this dishonest tactic because it is literally all I can do to try and argue for my mythology"?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
20-02-2017, 12:16 PM
What makes a historical source "scientific" and why are the sources for Julius Caesar not "scientific"?

Also, who made the claim that the historical sources for Julius Caesar were "scientific" because the only one I have seen throw that out is you, tomato. This wouldn't be YET ANOTHER straw man from you, would it?

-Rick
20-02-2017, 12:25 PM
I still don't understand how someone who believes in deities can demand scientific evidence for the existence of Caesar and not realise how unbelievably ironic it is to ask this whilst believing in jesus/god. I'd be willing to bet that Jesus face on an ancient coin would be considered ample evidence for his existence but apparently not for Julius Caesar. The hoops to jump through regarding this are absolutely gargantuan.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
20-02-2017, 12:26 PM
(20-02-2017 12:14 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  So that is an admitted "No, I am full of shit and I'll just keep to this dishonest tactic because it is literally all I can do to try and argue for my mythology"?

Ah, okay so it's dishonest to claim there's no scientific evidence for the existence of Caesar?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
20-02-2017, 12:27 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2017 12:38 PM by Tomasia.)
(20-02-2017 12:25 PM)adey67 Wrote:  I still don't understand how someone who believes in deities can demand scientific evidence for the existence of Caesar and not realise how unbelievably ironic it is to ask this whilst believing in jesus/god. I'd be willing to bet that Jesus face on an ancient coin would be considered ample evidence for his existence but apparently not for Julius Caesar. The hoops to jump through regarding this are absolutely gargantuan.

Ah okay, so one has to jump through hoops to claim that one existed but not the other?

20-02-2017, 12:33 PM
If you were arguing that both were non existent or existent fine but I suspect that's not the case I'm happy to be proven wrong though but that means either denying your mythical saviour or admitting parity for both.
20-02-2017, 12:33 PM
At work.

Am unsure as whether to Facepalm , Drinking Beverage or possibly Laugh out load at Tomasia's replies because, at one level, they are kind of funny/amusing.

If indeed a 'Turn the Theist's wild claims on their head' were the aim of Tomasia...... Consider
20-02-2017, 12:39 PM
(20-02-2017 12:26 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(20-02-2017 12:14 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  So that is an admitted "No, I am full of shit and I'll just keep to this dishonest tactic because it is literally all I can do to try and argue for my mythology"?

Ah, okay so it's dishonest to claim there's no scientific evidence for the existence of Caesar?

Your tactic is dishonest when you construct straw men.

"Ah okay, so one has to jump through hopes to claim that one existed but not the other."

No answers to any questions, just more straw men.

The dishonest tactics of theists only serve to reinforce the invalidity of their arguments. Lying and being dishonest for Jesus, makes it clear to me that one must be dishonest in order to push the historical narrative.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
20-02-2017, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2017 12:48 PM by Tomasia.)
More evidence for Jesus than Caesar?
(20-02-2017 12:33 PM)adey67 Wrote:  If you were arguing that both were non existent or existent fine but I suspect that's not the case I'm happy to be proven wrong though but that means either denying your mythical saviour or admitting parity for both.

I'm just curious about the jumping through hoops.

In order to avoid jumping through hoops one has to admit that neither likely existed. If one were to suggest one existed but not the other, they'd have to do pull some mental gymnastics to make it work. At least that seems to be the impression you're suggesting.