More evidence that American education is fucked

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2014, 07:33 AM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2014 07:36 AM by germanyt.)
RE: More evidence that American education is fucked
(08-04-2014 09:15 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Doesn't your country give tax dollars to creationist schools?

No. Schools that do have gone rogue and are taking it uoon themselves to changed the curriculum.

And this is just regarding a football player. This paper would be an F from any other student. Backdoor deals are always being done to keep dumbass athlete GPAs high enough to maintain the scholarship.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2014, 07:38 AM
(09-04-2014 07:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 09:42 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  That's not the education system. That's bowing to church of sport. Our own school district opened enrollment to other districts trying lure kids who want to play on our football team.

Sports got all the money, math and science books...not so much.

School sport ruins everything. Drinking Beverage

The flipside is that it brings in a shit-ton (larger than a metric ton) of money into the school coffers that is then used to pay for salaries, programs, buildings and scholarships not just for the athletic department.

So a bunch of athletes get a pass on shit work, some go on to make zillions. Most end up with a diploma but find out that they should have paid more attention in class when they can't get a decent paying job since they can't read or write beyond the level of a 6th grader. Oh well.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
09-04-2014, 07:39 AM
(08-04-2014 09:42 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 09:06 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  An A- grade paper.

I literally don't get how you people have managed to fuck up your education system so badly (in addition to your healthcare system, and your banking system, and your grossly over-funded defense budgets, and pretty much everything else you do).

That's not the education system. That's bowing to church of sport. Our own school district opened enrollment to other districts trying lure kids who want to play on our football team.

University athletic departments generate obscene amounts of money for their academic departments. They also boost morale and create a sense of community and good natured competition. They are nothing but good for the schools they represent.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
09-04-2014, 08:14 AM
(09-04-2014 07:39 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(08-04-2014 09:42 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  That's not the education system. That's bowing to church of sport. Our own school district opened enrollment to other districts trying lure kids who want to play on our football team.

University athletic departments generate obscene amounts of money for their academic departments. They also boost morale and create a sense of community and good natured competition. They are nothing but good for the schools they represent.

Top division sports programs are profitable. Most sports programs would be lucky to qualify as loss leaders.

Local pro and semi-pro sports teams boost morale and create a sense of community and good natured competition, too - where there's just as much connection to actual academia, and you don't have to pay for it with your tuition.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
09-04-2014, 09:04 AM
You may as well join my version of France. (I played democracy 3)
We have a utopia, technologically superior to all countries. We own all of the money in the world. It's an egalitarian state with not poverty, crime, or racial discrimination. We have an overwhelming force for our armies. We have 12,000,000,000,000 USD in the bank. The church is gone from my state, as of every other religion. Even when the economy fully collapses, we still have income. We have outstanding government paid healthcare, childcare, and welfare. We have the most prestigious universities, and subsides for robot, space, and stem cell research. No one uses oil. Everyone is in my party.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
11-04-2014, 08:26 AM
Dear god if I turned that in I would be flunked in a minute.

You do realize that's a football player, right? Most students cant get away with that shit. Standards are...bent because of rules that say if you don't pass you can't play.

Football generates a lot of money for schools. We're in the big 12 and out games are huge events. Tickets to the public go for several hundred dollars a pop. Merchandise generates a LOT of money. And it gives us a lot of positive feelings among those who vote us funds (public university, depends on public funds).

If it makes you feel better most of these guys won't get real degrees. They'll be here for a year or two before leaving or get a bogus "sports management" degree.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
11-04-2014, 12:27 PM
(08-04-2014 09:06 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  An A- grade paper.

I literally don't get how you people have managed to fuck up your education system so badly (in addition to your healthcare system, and your banking system, and your grossly over-funded defense budgets, and pretty much everything else you do).

Okay, my work is pretty fucking bad in general, but nothing, nothing I have ever written in all my years of education is as dumb as that. And I've written some really dumb things for school work. Which nobody but me will ever see ever again.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
24-04-2014, 11:55 PM
Wow, and I thought some of the stuff I wrote in Year 12 was bad.

Families are messy. Immortal families are eternally messy. Sometimes the best we can do is to remind each other that we're related for better or for worse...and try to keep the maiming and killing to a minimum.

--Hermes to Percy Jackson, Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters
07-05-2014, 03:14 PM
(08-04-2014 09:06 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I literally don't get how you people have managed to fuck up your education system so badly (in addition to your healthcare system, and your banking system, and your grossly over-funded defense budgets, and pretty much everything else you do).

Your analysis is wrong - the United States economy is the envy of the world. What you are noticing is the Affirmative Action policy that has created a racial double-standard in education. Our education system is over-filled with foreign born students seeking the most recent knowledge developments. Our welfare system is overwhelmed by foreign born immigrants. Our defense budget provides jobs for those foreigners who refuse to go back to their wonderful countries.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
07-05-2014, 03:16 PM
Racist too. Lovely.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.