More evidence that American education is fucked

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2014, 05:45 PM
RE: More evidence that American education is fucked
(07-05-2014 05:15 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 04:56 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  *people I have talked to about why I am leaving america

"Americas not bad. Americas education is actually good."

After seeing this my point about leaving is now proven.(at the moment but it could change.)

One data point does not a statistical analysis make.

Or did they not teach you that in your American school?

Also: did anybody follow this trainwreck? Now that involved some real statistics. Well; on my behalf, at least.

This is true. And no they never taught me that, remember this is america(Lol JK JK)

[Image: hyena_icon_large_by_griffsnuff-d3juy9l.gif] All request for metazoa info and my larger projects should be sent PM
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2014, 06:43 AM
(07-05-2014 04:09 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 03:20 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  You know, I could have sworn that the US was built off of and essentially around immigration....

I know right, I'm sure it was something like all white people in America are immigrants who came there looking for work within the last few centuries. Drinking Beverage

Well some of us are here because our ancestors were forceably evicted from their homeland and no where else would take them.
08-05-2014, 09:48 AM
There are a few points I'd like to point out.

1) We don't pay teachers enough since all our money goes to the military.
This is a COLLEGE paper, not a high school one. Colleges for the most part aren't taxpayer funded. They get their funding from a variety of sources including tuition (I pay 25k+ per year at a state school), donors and alumni, sports licencing (admittedly this only makes money for schools with large programs), and research grants from private companies and government contractors. Professors aren't paid extravagant salaries, but they're certainly better off than a high school teacher. And if you are a VERY good researcher at a university you can get even more money.

2) Teachers are pressured by parents to put this out.
See above, this is a COLLEGE paper. And Universities are not shy about putting people on academic suspension normally. The parents complain? Well, explain the paper and the syllabus. This didn't happen because they were afraid of parents, or because they were underfunded, this paper was this way because the school put pressure on the teacher to pass a student who made them money by playing football. Period.

3) affirmative action hurting academics by allowing foreigners in
Wtf? Foreign students are a boon to our universities. I have four grad students in the lab who are on student visas, and two undergrads. These are good researchers and good engineers. This statement is INCREDIBLY bigoted. The foreign national students' performance seems fairly uniformly distributed, there are good students and there are bad students, in about the same proportion as the rest of the student body.
09-05-2014, 06:19 PM
And at my school I received an F on a physics essay because my vocabulary was "too high" and the teacher could not understand what I wrote because of my use of chosen vocabulary.

I had to rewrite the entire essay whilst dumbing and numbing the language processing centers of my brain in hopes that my teacher would understand my thought process.

She still hasn't graded the updated paper...
[+] 2 users Like UndercoverAtheist's post
14-05-2014, 03:03 PM
(07-05-2014 03:14 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Your analysis is wrong - the United States economy is the envy of the world. What you are noticing is the Affirmative Action policy that has created a racial double-standard in education. Our education system is over-filled with foreign born students seeking the most recent knowledge developments. Our welfare system is overwhelmed by foreign born immigrants. Our defense budget provides jobs for those foreigners who refuse to go back to their wonderful countries.
...says the guy who admits to proudly sucking off the welfare system and stealing from others. Maybe if you got off your lazy ass and actually tried to learn something, you might actually get your facts straight. Dodgy

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post