More evidence that atheists come from "the future"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2012, 09:27 PM
More evidence that atheists come from "the future"
I found this page on the ebook version of David Niose's new book, Nonbeliever Nation: The Rise of Secular Americans

http://www.amazon.com/Nonbeliever-Nation...23033895X/

[Image: 90e5dde22dfbd2007044.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like advancedatheist's post
17-07-2012, 11:09 PM
RE: More evidence that atheists come from "the future"
So you are saying that Asimov, Sagan and Roddenberry are time travellers?

18-07-2012, 09:38 AM
(17-07-2012 11:09 PM)DLJ Wrote:  So you are saying that Asimov, Sagan and Roddenberry are time travellers?
No, I say that atheists look rather like time travelers from "the future." People in our culture know on some level that obsessive religiosity seems out of place in certain kinds of futures. Now, that could have just resulted from the accidents of the last century's science fiction publishing, science popularization and TV series like Star Trek. (The Enterprise could have had a chaplain as a crew member, for example, like the Catholic Army chaplain in the M*A*S*H TV series.)

But I suspect it really derives from the influence of the radical school of the Enlightenment in the 18th Century. Some daring thinkers back then, notably the Baron d'Holbach and Denis Diderot, speculated about the possibility of a religion-free society and how the abolition of religion would improve people's lives. (Refer to Philip Blom's book, A Wicked Company: The Forgotten Radicalism of the European Enlightenment.) They didn't expect it to happen in their lifetimes; Diderot lamented that the kind of Enlightenment he promoted stopped at Paris's suburbs. But history seems to validate their intuitions about the feasibility of a godless society, along with their conjectures based on nearly zero evidence at the time about the mechanisms: prosperity, education and democratic government.

So I suspect the notion about the incompatibility of Jesus and the Jetsons has existed for quite a while as a splinter in our minds, to coin a phrase.
18-07-2012, 06:44 PM
I don't know... this strikes me as sketchy.

I think atheism will persist in its influence in the future, but I hardly see an end to religion. Religions are still being invented today many times over, and there's no reason that people won't take advantage of the gullible human mind that wants to believe in "a higher power". Unless human biases disappear entirely (ha!), there's no reason to expect that rationality itself will become common.

Right now, in this day and age, we have all the knowledge we need to remove irrationality from ourselves... and yet, how many of us are taking advantage of it?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-07-2012, 07:00 PM
The part of not finding many great science fiction stories with plot lines portraying their protagonists journeying to a distant galaxy to attend Christian prayer services...

...BABYLON 5 came pretty fucking close. Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
18-07-2012, 08:08 PM
I think religion will shrink. It won't ever disappear, but religious people will increasingly become a group like the Amish, people who decided to remain in an earlier point in time.

I doubt it will happen here in the US in my life time, but progress is clearly being made. Europe leads in this and rational people the world over will eventually go the same way.

I have great hopes for today's youth. They have so much information at their disposal that they have to make a conscious decision to reject rationality. When I was young my info came from the catholic library. A world of difference!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
18-07-2012, 10:00 PM
The youth of today are growing up with the internet and pages like youtube, where people can see the views of people from all over the world. It's no secret that Atheists and free thinkers are the majority on youtube, just check out any like bar on just about any Religious/Atheistic video; the like will almost always be well in the favor of the Atheistic view. Is it a coincidence that the internet, a information super store is full of non-believers and people willing to ask the question why? Instead of blindly following the words of the bible. I think not.

Justin
19-07-2012, 08:45 PM
Agree that the information revolution will kill religion if anything can.
IT is making the world a very small place.
We are global, all speaking english, all needing to get along for everyone's sake.
ALL religion will be seen as based on ignorance.
Peer pressure will be criticle. No one want to be thought of as "stupid" by their peer group, which will be the entire globe.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.