More fun with Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2015, 07:53 PM (This post was last modified: 28-06-2015 07:57 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
More fun with Facebook
This is another kind of crap which is a big part of why I no longer am a Believer.

Sorry for blotting out the names (I'm at the bottom, Robert) and, with apologies for formatting, this is from a Facebook discussion I've been "enjoying" off and on, this afternoon/evening:

Thomas J*** Jennifer AndIsaac P***
The prophecies of the bible have been coming true since they were written. That's what happens when you are vague in your writings. They can be interpreted in many different ways.
The second coming was scheduled for the year 130 or before. Didn't happen then, won't happen now. It really pays to learn the mythology you are going to defend on social media before posting magical beliefs.
Jesus doesn't love you, even though you think he is real.
Forgive? Why would one need forgiven from the person who gave humans desires and then commanded them not to act upon those desires? At the very least, he doesn't sound very intelligent.
You may rather stand with god to be judged but that won't happen. You will stand with the world and be judged on social media.
What's that yelling about? Do you think god can't hear you unless you shout? God isn't answering any prayers because he is deaf, he is not answering them because he is dead.
LOL, I'm just kidding. He's not dead. He's not real.
Like · 2 · 2 hours ago

Jennifer AndIsaac P*** Thomas J*** no man knows when the coming will be only God Himself. But all the signs are pointing to His coming! Everything from desensitized people to unnatural affection, unholy, unthankful, lovers of pleasure more then lovers of God, blasphemers, revilers, people who call evil good and good evil! The days are shorter, the earth is groaning from all the sin! Earthquakes becoming more frequent, pestilence, diseases, ect! When you see these things come to pass look up for our redemption draweth nigh! You don't believe in God but i sure do! I'm a born again, sanctified, Holy Ghost filled holiness pentecostal woman and i will stand for God until the day i die!
Like · 34 minutes ago

Michael A. N*** Thomas, just go into any room in your house and say, there is power in the name of the Lord with conviction. If you don't feel anything then I will apologize.
Like · 23 minutes ago

Brian T*** The whack-a-doodles are strong in these ones.
Like · 13 minutes ago

Robert **** Jesus is MAGIC!
Like · 1 · 12 minutes ago

Robert **** Thomas, just go into any room in your house and say, "Salagadoola mechicka boola bibbidi-bobbidi-boo" with conviction. If magic doesn't occur then I will apologize.
Like · 6 minutes ago

Laugh out load

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
28-06-2015, 07:54 PM
RE: More fun with Facebook
You might want to censor the names.
28-06-2015, 07:58 PM
Yeah, you're right. They might be nuts, but they don't deserved to get spammed or clobbered for it.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
28-06-2015, 10:04 PM
"With conviction"...that way when you say it didn't work he can just excuse it to lack of conviction.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
29-06-2015, 12:16 AM
Heh, I was just quoting the original "spellcasting" idiot. Apparently, part of the "say the name of the LORD" Jesus-is-Magic spell is to say it with conviction.

I wish I could say I didn't know why he talks like that, but I grew up sounding like those idiots in that ChristianTingle video, too.

*sigh* I am a Recovering Christoholic... 22 years sober and Jesus-free!

(Hiiii, Rocket.)

01-07-2015, 08:22 AM
This morning's posts. The best of the recent posts from my fundamentalist family:

Quote:Dear Lord, Enlarge our Territory. Open doors no man can close. I pray for increase in Their Lives.. That Every Need Will Be Filled Quickly! Thank you for all of our divine connections today. Thank you for a hedge of protection as we go forward. In JESUS Name, amen!

For those unfamiliar with D&D, the spells invoked by this Christian there are:

Enlarge our Territory = Consecrate

Open doors no man can close = Knock

Increase in their lives = Cure Critical Wounds ? or maybe, Heal ?

Every need filled = Heroes' Feast

Hedge of Protection = Magic Circle vs. Evil

02-07-2015, 11:51 AM
Quote:The prophecies of the bible have been coming true since they were written. That's what happens when you are vague in your writings.

A common argument made by Christians is that the Bible contains prophecies that it would be impossible for any ordinary human to know and must have come from God. These claimed fulfilled prophesies are supposedly undeniable proof that the Bible is the word of God.

Every religion, mystic, fortune teller and crank has made prophecies so it is necessary to sort the good from the bad.

1. It has to be a prophecy
This may sound a bit obvious, but the original line must have been intended as a prophecy and not merely a story. So if a line says “a house will fall in a storm” this is just a story and not a prophecy of the fall of an empire. The author must make it clear to his readers that he is making a prophecy and not just speaking in general.

2. It must be clear
The prophecy must be instantly clear as to what it is foretelling; it cannot simply be so vague that any event could fulfil it. For example “a house will fall in a storm” is not a prophecy as anything could be interpreted as fulfilling it and those who hear it would not know. If a prophecy is supposed to be about someone, then it should make this clear from the beginning and not be left for future generations to try and guess who it is.

3. It cannot be simply guesswork
If two armies are going to war, I could make a lucky guess and predict the winning army. This wouldn’t be much of a prophecy as any lay person could guess that. For a prophecy to count as evidence, it must be so specific that not even someone who studied the topic could have made an educated guess. The more unlikely the prophecy, the more impressive it is, so something that was completely unexpected would be the sign of a strong prophecy.

4. It must occur before the event happens
If I was to tell you about September 11th, this wouldn’t be a prophecy but rather history. We must be sure that all prophecies occurred before the events in order to be genuine. Likewise we have to make sure we are reading the original accounts and not seeing some that were changed later to give the impression of a prophecy.

5. There cannot be self-fulfillment
If it is prophesied that a great ruler will conquer a town, then people will conquer that town in order to claim that they are that ruler. Or if it predicted that Israel will become a country again, then people will try to rebuild Israel so as to fulfil the prophecy. Nor can later writers edit the text to give the impression that the prophecy was fulfilled.

6. The event must be unique
If I say “a king will be murdered by his son” this could apply to any monarchy anywhere. Loads of kings have been stabbed in the back by people they trust, including family. So a prophecy must refer to a specific event and specific people.

7. No cherry picking
You can’t simply take the prophecies that you like and ignore the others. The Bible is full of metaphorical language, so it is not good enough to take everything that sounds like it came true and ignore everything else. Likewise prophecies must be taken as whole, you can’t exclude the parts that didn’t come true and keep the rest. If you make a 100 prophecies and only one came true, then you cannot ignore the other 99 and call yourself a prophet.

8. The prophecy must be falsifiable
The prophecy must have the potential to fail or be proven wrong. If there is no time limit on the prophecy then we could have to wait thousands of years before it is “fulfilled” at which point it is not a prophecy but a matter of probability. A prophecy can only be evidence if it could have failed as well as succeeded.

Given all this information, most if not almost all of the biblical prophesies can be easily disproved.

Quote: no man knows when the coming will be only God Himself. But all the signs are pointing to His coming! Everything from desensitized people to unnatural affection, unholy, unthankful, lovers of pleasure more then lovers of God, blasphemers, revilers, people who call evil good and good evil! The days are shorter, the earth is groaning from all the sin! Earthquakes becoming more frequent, pestilence, diseases, ect! When you see these things come to pass look up for our redemption draweth nigh! You don't believe in God but i sure do! I'm a born again, sanctified, Holy Ghost filled holiness pentecostal woman and i will stand for God until the day i die!

None of those signs point to a god or jesus who is coming back.
The main prophecy of Jesus return, which is the pillar of eschatology, failed miserably. 2,000 years ago Jesus had said things indicating that he would return within their lifetime and set up his earthly kingdom (Matthew 16:27-28, Mark 9:1, Matthew 24:33-34). The apostles also taught this (James 5:7-8, 1 Peter 4:7, Revelation 22:12), with Paul even denigrating marriage because the end was so near (1 Corinthians 7:25-31). The trouble was that with each year that passed, Jesus was a no-show. As history has shown with apocalyptic cults and numerous failed Rapture predictions, most believers don’t lose faith when the return of Jesus fails to occur – they just find a way to rationalize, and push it into the nebulous future.

It's the equivalent to:
[Image: 5-minutes_zpssnkxwvn7.jpg]

Quote:Everything from desensitized people to unnatural affection, unholy, unthankful, lovers of pleasure more then lovers of God, blasphemers, revilers, people who call evil good and good evil! The days are shorter, the earth is groaning from all the sin! Earthquakes becoming more frequent, pestilence, diseases, ect! When you see these things come to pass look up for our redemption draweth nigh! You don't believe in God but i sure do! I'm a born again, sanctified, Holy Ghost filled holiness pentecostal woman and i will stand for God until the day i die!

Oh brother. This is simple confirmation bias. Where is the evidence that shows any of these issues are more prevalent than they were 2,000 years ago (other than global warming possibly). Christians are focused on these things so they are looking for them more. It's the same as if you purchase a new orange jeep and then suddenly start noticing all the other orange jeeps on the road. I would implore her to read Steven Pinker's book called "Better angels of our Nature" which provides hands-on evidence that violence etc in our world is at an all time low. This poor women is going to go to her grave waiting for this alleged return and then she will have wasted her life worrying.

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 2 users Like Tonechaser77's post
02-07-2015, 11:56 AM
(01-07-2015 08:22 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  This morning's posts. The best of the recent posts from my fundamentalist family:

Quote:Dear Lord, Enlarge our Territory. Open doors no man can close. I pray for increase in Their Lives.. That Every Need Will Be Filled Quickly! Thank you for all of our divine connections today. Thank you for a hedge of protection as we go forward. In JESUS Name, amen!

For those unfamiliar with D&D, the spells invoked by this Christian there are:

Enlarge our Territory = Consecrate

Open doors no man can close = Knock

Increase in their lives = Cure Critical Wounds ? or maybe, Heal ?

Every need filled = Heroes' Feast

Hedge of Protection = Magic Circle vs. Evil

So nothing particulary high level? But then Jesus most impressive spell was resurrection or raise dead, so no surprises here.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
05-07-2015, 04:07 AM
The Shit I Wake Up To In My Facebook Feed:
Christian Paranoia at its Finest (aka WTF is Wrong with These People?)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N**** B******
Yesterday at 12:04am ·

In a time that is ever changing you may find it hard to know who to trust. I have seen those committed to themselves, those committed to their family,and their faith. So much emotion is expressed around our country right now some which I am against and yet some we have waited for since the death of Christ. My question to you today is what are you willing to stand up for, and commit yourself to? If we look at those around just those we see in the first three hours of our day is there not a cause? In Deuteronomy it says to teach your children in the morning at noon and in the evening when they rise ...... At this moment we still have some religious freedoms I challenge you to be the voice, show the love, not judgement of God.

07-07-2015, 12:48 PM
(28-06-2015 10:04 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  "With conviction"...that way when you say it didn't work he can just excuse it to lack of conviction.

That's actually what they believe. You just build in non-qualifiable clauses so that you can't actually be proven wrong.

'Matthew 17:20 Wrote:He said to them, “Because of your little faith. For truly, I say to you, if you have faith as a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you.”