More government stupidity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2014, 08:25 AM
More government stupidity
I'm working on an IT project part of which requires validating Social Security numbers in data sets. So I was looking around for validation rules and landed on this page which discusses some randomization changes from 2011:
http://www.ssa.gov/employer/randomization.html

Among them:
Quote: Previously unassigned area numbers were introduced for assignment excluding area numbers 000, 666 and 900-999.

I wonder why area number 666 was chosen for elimination. Consider
What, residents of hell need not apply for Social Security benefits?

This is just stupid. Even aside from the fact that the whole "666 = mark of the beast" belief is stupid, Social Security numbers are 9 digits long of which only the first three digits are the area number. Using an area number of 666 would just mean the first 3 of 9 digits would be 666 - i.e., the number would not be 666 itself. Rolleyes 666123456 would be no better or worse than 166623456, but the latter wasn't eliminated. Consider Typical senseless reactionary government decision lacking thorough consideration.

It's as bad as eliminating the 13th floor in tall buildings where, of course, there really is a 13th floor that just happens to be numbered 14. Just as long as everyone feels better. Rolleyes

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
04-06-2014, 08:30 AM
RE: More government stupidity
(04-06-2014 08:25 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I'm working on an IT project part of which requires validating Social Security numbers in data sets. So I was looking around for validation rules and landed on this page which discusses some randomization changes from 2011:

Among them:
Quote: Previously unassigned area numbers were introduced for assignment excluding area numbers 000, 666 and 900-999.

This is just stupid. Even aside from the fact that the whole "666 = mark of the beast" belief is stupid, Social Security numbers are 9 digits long of which only the first three digits are the area number. Using an area number of 666 would just mean the first 3 of 9 digits would be 666 - i.e., the number would not be 666 itself. Rolleyes 666123456 would be no better or worse than 166623456, but the latter wasn't eliminated. Consider Typical senseless reactionary government decision lacking thorough consideration.

It's as bad as eliminating the 13th floor in tall buildings where, of course, there really is a 13th floor that just happens to be numbered 14. Just as long as everyone feels better. Rolleyes

Won't it get to the point where they'll need those numbers? I'm sure some of us would like the 666 at the beginning lol
[+] 1 user Likes DawkinsFan420's post
04-06-2014, 08:32 AM
LOL, one would think so. I'd take one with 666. Smile

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
04-06-2014, 08:35 AM
The real question, you going to write a "666" check into your code Consider
04-06-2014, 08:36 AM
I agree it's stupid, but I wouldn't be surprised if they've had people freak when they saw their new SS# start with 666.
Next they'll be taking all the expansion joints out of the sidewalks because someone might complain about stepping on a crack and breaking their mother's back. No
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
04-06-2014, 08:44 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2014 09:37 AM by Impulse.)
(04-06-2014 08:35 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  The real question, you going to write a "666" check into your code Consider
Code?

I would (and already have) written a check numbered 666.

Edit:
Oh duh! Facepalm I'm not sure why I didn't get your meaning before because it's so obvious now that I came back to this thread.

You weren't talking about a monetary check, but a programming code check. And yeah, I'm going to have to include it because the program involves sending data to another company who will be rejecting records that don't pass the check on their end - thus, the reason I have to check on our end first.

[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
04-06-2014, 09:21 AM
(04-06-2014 08:25 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I'm working on an IT project part of which requires validating Social Security numbers in data sets. So I was looking around for validation rules and landed on this page which discusses some randomization changes from 2011:

Among them:

This one seem cool.
[+] 1 user Likes Snowflake's post
04-06-2014, 09:22 AM
(04-06-2014 08:36 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  I agree it's stupid, but I wouldn't be surprised if they've had people freak when they saw their new SS# start with 666.
Next they'll be taking all the expansion joints out of the sidewalks because someone might complain about stepping on a crack and breaking their mother's back. No

Oh, they would. My parents used to have a phone number ending in 666. We joked around about it a bit, but at least one relative was genuinely concerned. Now, I have no fucking clue what they were concerned about. Were our souls in peril? If so, why? Was Satan going to get to listen in on our calls? Does this prove the phone company is lead by Satan worshipers? If the rapture started, would our phone number be confused with us actually bearing the mark of the beast? Were their jimmies rustled?

So many people have an adverse reaction to the number, and even if they understand that it's a random assignment, they'll still get upset. I just honestly don't know what they're upset about?
[+] 5 users Like RobbyPants's post
04-06-2014, 09:39 AM
(04-06-2014 09:21 AM)Snowflake Wrote:  

Among them:

This one seem cool.
Yep, it would work for me. Thumbsup

04-06-2014, 09:42 AM
(04-06-2014 09:22 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(04-06-2014 08:36 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  I agree it's stupid, but I wouldn't be surprised if they've had people freak when they saw their new SS# start with 666.

Oh, they would. My parents used to have a phone number ending in 666. We joked around about it a bit, but at least one relative was genuinely concerned. Now, I have no fucking clue what they were concerned about. Were our souls in peril? If so, why? Was Satan going to get to listen in on our calls? Does this prove the phone company is lead by Satan worshipers? If the rapture started, would our phone number be confused with us actually bearing the mark of the beast? Were their jimmies rustled?
Yeah, that's another similar situation. Even if there was really something bad about the number 666, a phone number ending in 666 is not 666 itself. People don't even make sense with their own nonsense. Sad