Poll: Which do you buy parts from?
Business A
Business B
[Show Results]

More morality? What would you choose?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2012, 04:44 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2012 05:05 PM by Logisch.)
More morality? What would you choose?
I thought of this from a real life scenario. I figured I'd see how others see it. I changed it up a little but wanted to make it interesting.

You have 2 businesses. You've done plenty of business with both. You have to buy some parts for your car for maintenance (this is regular maintenance, not the first time or the last time you'll buy these parts from either business again).

Business A is well known. Generally parts are cheaper, but sometimes they aren't. Overall let's say they are cheaper. But the customer service isn't quite as good. They are a bigger business. They are very close, and parts come fast and the shipping is cheap. The parts are not always the same brand, but of good quality.

Business B is a little guy. They are known among the community, stock the highest quality parts, but their prices are always a little higher. The customer service is out of this world. Business B is across the united states from you, shipping is more, and parts take much longer to get here.

Scenario:

Business B has recently sent you a gift out of sheer kindness that was worth a good bit because you've done business with them over the years. You've had quotes from both businesses and you could save 15% by going with Business A. However, you know Business B is hurting for money.

The parts are usually a couple hundred bucks, assuming you can afford either purchase and it won't affect you monetarily.... Who do you make the purchase from, and why?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2012, 05:23 PM
RE: More morality? What would you choose?
(03-02-2012 04:44 PM)Logisch Wrote:  The parts are usually a couple hundred bucks, assuming you can afford either purchase and it won't affect you monetarily.... Who do you make the purchase from, and why?

I'm a Business B kind of guy. Even more, I'm a local business kind of guy who will not enter a WalMart.
What's a few bucks compared to better service and a healthy local economy?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
03-02-2012, 05:38 PM
Business B for sure. Just going for the cheapest stuff out there will come back to bite you, either in quality of service or quality of the parts.
[+] 1 user Likes Ben's post
03-02-2012, 05:38 PM
I'm a business B person so long as I can afford to be. Primarily because the shopping experience is generally better. In this case, knowing it won't affect me monetarily, business B is the clear choice for me.

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
03-02-2012, 06:15 PM
I am always willing to pay a little more for quality. In the long run, it usually works out better for me. If an inferior product from Business A was to break or be defective, would they go out of their way to help me? I am guessing No. The smaller company with more to lose is more likely to ensure I am satisfied because free advertising by word of mouth is a huge benefit to any business. I guess that explains the economics and good business sense of my decision. Truthfully, I feel better supporting the little guy, like my local hardware/ grocery/ butcher/ bakery than say...WalMart.

Atheism is a non-prophet organisation. Cool
03-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Business B definitely.
I try to keep away from supporting large, unscrupulous corporations! Sleepy

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
06-02-2012, 12:20 PM
I'd go for business B for the purely prudential reason that good customer service is important when dealing with auto parts. Unfortunately I don't think morality enters into this situation. As much as my intuition would like to say that we morally ought to buy from business B, I can't think of a good ethical argument as to why one shouldn't buy from A unless one subscribes to a very crude form of classical utilitarianism.

"There is no such thing as philosophy-free science; there is only science whose philosophical baggage is taken on board without examination."
-Daniel Dennett
06-02-2012, 01:26 PM
I'll be the contrarian. I don't usually have enough cash to hold to my morals about working with the more expensive little guy. I'll take my chances on the cheaper business.

FYI--I hate what Walmart stands for, but I don't hate that I spend about $100 less a month on groceries there over the local grocery stores.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My