More "something from nothing" talk

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2012, 09:40 PM
RE: More "something from nothing" talk
(05-03-2012 11:46 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(05-03-2012 07:31 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  We're tool using monkeys and zero is a useful tool. To disregard utility would be unscientific.

As has been mentioned, time is the demon at the dinner table. When we speak of thingness, we automatically include our perception of thingness without acknowledging that perception is change over time. To speak of nothing is to embrace the eternal - timelessness - and love is void. God need not apply.

Not for the first time.... lost me!

Shit DLJ, HoC tossed that softball up about as slow and easy as he is capable. Only thing left is tee ball, or maybe cricket. Wink ... I'm gonna have to go back and see how long it took before Erxomai had his HoC road to Tarsus/Eureka! moment. ... Help me out here, Hellbound Preacher, think it was something like "I think I finally understood something HoC said!" but I can't find it.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2012, 10:14 PM
(05-03-2012 04:20 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  And initially, I want to say, "Yes, because at one point I didn't exist and now here I am" but then I think... "Existence is a state that was already here... it always exists because that's the whole idea behind the state of existence. I just entered into that realm." And then all of that is discarded when I realize that I was already here. I didn't materialize out of non-existence, all the parts of my body and self were already here in the construct of stars and matter and atoms coming together and breaking apart.

This is the main problem with people who bring up arguments from Creation such as that particular caller did. They equivocate "come into existence"... there's the definition that they want you to hear --- "came from nothing" --- but they describe it as things that we've experienced like birth --- "came from existent materials". When a carpenter creates a chair, the chair doesn't come from nothing but rather from non-chair materials that get re-assembled into a chair. We've never witnessed something come from "nothing" because our experience has always had "something" in it.

When I'm arguing with a theist, if they want to make an Argument from Ignorance and assume that something had to come from nothing, I just state that my theory is that the universe always was. They can't ridicule or debate the idea, because it is their same theory on God's existence... he didn't "come from nothing" but rather he "always was", so it's just as rational a theory as their own theory.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
06-03-2012, 04:34 AM
(05-03-2012 09:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-03-2012 11:46 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(05-03-2012 07:31 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  We're tool using monkeys and zero is a useful tool. To disregard utility would be unscientific.

As has been mentioned, time is the demon at the dinner table. When we speak of thingness, we automatically include our perception of thingness without acknowledging that perception is change over time. To speak of nothing is to embrace the eternal - timelessness - and love is void. God need not apply.

Not for the first time.... lost me!

Shit DLJ, HoC tossed that softball up about as slow and easy as he is capable. Only thing left is tee ball, or maybe cricket. Wink ... I'm gonna have to go back and see how long it took before Erxomai had his HoC road to Tarsus/Eureka! moment. ... Help me out here, Hellbound Preacher, think it was something like "I think I finally understood something HoC said!" but I can't find it.

I understood all of the words but the order of them stumped me. I suspect we are playing on different wickets.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
06-03-2012, 10:36 AM
It literally took me a month of HOC posts to understand him. I still get hung up once in a while, but I usually get it now. He speaks in a different language that can be learned.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
06-03-2012, 10:37 AM
when it relates to god, it is very provable that this god they believe in doesnt exist. If god did come form nothing or if he always existed, why would he care about all the dumb rules every religion has. those rules prove that god doesnt exist. i just dont see why he cares about sex so much. it seems like it's all he thinks about. he doesnt like homos, prostitutes, against pre marital sex. i dont believe a god can come from nothing and then have all these opinions on the most retarded things.
06-03-2012, 11:18 AM
(06-03-2012 10:36 AM)lucradis Wrote:  It literally took me a month of HOC posts to understand him. I still get hung up once in a while, but I usually get it now. He speaks in a different language that can be learned.

I still only get his posts once in a while.
07-03-2012, 07:07 AM
(06-03-2012 10:37 AM)satan69 Wrote:  i just dont see why he cares about sex so much. it seems like it's all he thinks about.

That's the problem with a male god. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post