More talks with my father in law

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2015, 03:38 AM
More talks with my father in law
I've noticed something rather interesting every time I sit down with my father in law and he gets all preachy.

First off he brings up this accident he got in as a teenager and how he should be dead but God saved him. He says that he heard a voice that told him to put his seat belt. He swears it was God. Every time he says this all I can think is "oh it couldn't have been you subconscious telling you something you've been told thousands of times no it had to be God". Then he will go on to say that when the paramedics found him they found the "handprint of God" across his chest. This being his seat belt. Yeah never mind the engineers who designed the seat belt no you thank your God, but I digress.

So next I've notice that he has this no true scottsman thing going on with why I don't believe. He thinks that I had to strict of a christian upbringing and that's why I reject God. Then he proceeds to try and tell me that I do believe just because I say "Jesus" in a sentence. What the fuck is up with some people. Then he tries to push his bullshit non-denominational church on me proclaiming that it's "different" because they don't force anything on anyone. Which is the biggest fucking lie of these new age non denominational churches.

I think I hate those more that the fundie churches. At least those own up to the old testament. The new age churches try to act like the shit doesn't apply which puts a huge hole in the already shitty logic. Sorry for the tangent.

Anyway the most annoying thing about all of this is that I've explained that I only went against the faith when I tried to better my belief by reading the bible from start to finish. He either forgets it or does like most Christians and is just stuck on preaching and not actually listening because I'm the devil.

All this as of late has got me feeling less and less neutral on religion and more wanting to actively attack it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2015, 03:58 AM
RE: More talks with my father in law
Sounds to me like this guy is pushing. He knows what he is doing. I'd squash him like a bug.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
09-06-2015, 04:12 AM
Oh yeah banjo I know it. I'm waiting for that perfect moment. So far we have these talk when I'm out the door for work or something so I have no time to really get into it. The time is going to come and when it does...oh boy.
[+] 1 user Likes MrKrispy601's post
09-06-2015, 04:17 AM
"POW, right in the kisser!"

Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
09-06-2015, 06:04 AM
"God" saved him from an accident????

Geee.....

Don't you suppose a competent god could have prevented the fucking accident in the first place?????

I guess that's too much to expect out of an imaginary friend.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
09-06-2015, 06:55 AM
Makes me wonder how we'll treat others when non-belief becomes the majority and believers are viewed as irrational.

Will we deliver unto them the same arrogance and condescension?

Most of me feels like we should be better than that and should act accordingly...but another part hopes believers are mocked and ridiculed in a similar manner as they have treated others for so long.
09-06-2015, 07:00 AM
I might be best to dismiss everything he has to say with a sarcastic quip, something like - Show me an intelligent snake I can have a conversation with, then get back to me.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
09-06-2015, 08:40 AM
(09-06-2015 06:04 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  "God" saved him from an accident????

Geee.....

Don't you suppose a competent god could have prevented the fucking accident in the first place?????

I guess that's too much to expect out of an imaginary friend.....

This is another point I'm eventually going to make. I've thought this nearly every time he's brought it up.
[+] 1 user Likes MrKrispy601's post
09-06-2015, 09:51 AM
(09-06-2015 03:58 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Sounds to me like this guy is pushing. He knows what he is doing. I'd squash him like a bug.

You'd squash your father-in-law like a bug? Keep this up and I'll start to think all atheists, not just some, are mean and nasty.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-06-2015, 09:54 AM
(09-06-2015 03:38 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  I've noticed something rather interesting every time I sit down with my father in law and he gets all preachy.

First off he brings up this accident he got in as a teenager and how he should be dead but God saved him. He says that he heard a voice that told him to put his seat belt. He swears it was God. Every time he says this all I can think is "oh it couldn't have been you subconscious telling you something you've been told thousands of times no it had to be God". Then he will go on to say that when the paramedics found him they found the "handprint of God" across his chest. This being his seat belt. Yeah never mind the engineers who designed the seat belt no you thank your God, but I digress.

So next I've notice that he has this no true scottsman thing going on with why I don't believe. He thinks that I had to strict of a christian upbringing and that's why I reject God. Then he proceeds to try and tell me that I do believe just because I say "Jesus" in a sentence. What the fuck is up with some people. Then he tries to push his bullshit non-denominational church on me proclaiming that it's "different" because they don't force anything on anyone. Which is the biggest fucking lie of these new age non denominational churches.

I think I hate those more that the fundie churches. At least those own up to the old testament. The new age churches try to act like the shit doesn't apply which puts a huge hole in the already shitty logic. Sorry for the tangent.

Anyway the most annoying thing about all of this is that I've explained that I only went against the faith when I tried to better my belief by reading the bible from start to finish. He either forgets it or does like most Christians and is just stuck on preaching and not actually listening because I'm the devil.

All this as of late has got me feeling less and less neutral on religion and more wanting to actively attack it.

I'm sorry the only miracle your father-in-law can remember came from Detroit. But having been in some car accidents myself, it's nice to still be alive.

No, I don't think you trust in Jesus because you say His Name. I think you help fulfill and prove this scripture:

For even Christ did not please himself but, as it is written: "The insults of those who insult you have fallen on me." - Romans 15:3

That's right, using Jesus as a curse word fulfills a Bible prophecy, so if He isn't the Messiah, God and King, try to say something else, like "Gosh, that hurts when I stub my toe."

My church doesn't force anything on anyone, either. How do you know that is a lie? I think I would know after attending my church for decades and visiting many other churches besides...?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user