More talks with my father in law

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2015, 10:03 AM
RE: More talks with my father in law
(09-06-2015 09:51 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(09-06-2015 03:58 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Sounds to me like this guy is pushing. He knows what he is doing. I'd squash him like a bug.

You'd squash your father-in-law like a bug? Keep this up and I'll start to think all atheists, not just some, are mean and nasty.

Oh noes. Not THAT. Gasp ... Weeping
We can't have THAT !!

On the basis of one comment you make that generalization.
Hmmm.
I think we start to see why you consider the "evidence" you do, as such. Facepalm

I say just tell the father-in-law you're not interested in having that conversation again, and change the subject..that you're bored with it all, and "a lot of weather we're having".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
09-06-2015, 10:05 AM
(09-06-2015 09:54 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(09-06-2015 03:38 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  I've noticed something rather interesting every time I sit down with my father in law and he gets all preachy.

First off he brings up this accident he got in as a teenager and how he should be dead but God saved him. He says that he heard a voice that told him to put his seat belt. He swears it was God. Every time he says this all I can think is "oh it couldn't have been you subconscious telling you something you've been told thousands of times no it had to be God". Then he will go on to say that when the paramedics found him they found the "handprint of God" across his chest. This being his seat belt. Yeah never mind the engineers who designed the seat belt no you thank your God, but I digress.

So next I've notice that he has this no true scottsman thing going on with why I don't believe. He thinks that I had to strict of a christian upbringing and that's why I reject God. Then he proceeds to try and tell me that I do believe just because I say "Jesus" in a sentence. What the fuck is up with some people. Then he tries to push his bullshit non-denominational church on me proclaiming that it's "different" because they don't force anything on anyone. Which is the biggest fucking lie of these new age non denominational churches.

I think I hate those more that the fundie churches. At least those own up to the old testament. The new age churches try to act like the shit doesn't apply which puts a huge hole in the already shitty logic. Sorry for the tangent.

Anyway the most annoying thing about all of this is that I've explained that I only went against the faith when I tried to better my belief by reading the bible from start to finish. He either forgets it or does like most Christians and is just stuck on preaching and not actually listening because I'm the devil.

All this as of late has got me feeling less and less neutral on religion and more wanting to actively attack it.

I'm sorry the only miracle your father-in-law can remember came from Detroit. But having been in some car accidents myself, it's nice to still be alive.

No, I don't think you trust in Jesus because you say His Name. I think you help fulfill and prove this scripture:

For even Christ did not please himself but, as it is written: "The insults of those who insult you have fallen on me." - Romans 15:3

That's right, using Jesus as a curse word fulfills a Bible prophecy, so if He isn't the Messiah, God and King, try to say something else, like "Gosh, that hurts when I stub my toe."

My church doesn't force anything on anyone, either. How do you know that is a lie? I think I would know after attending my church for decades and visiting many other churches besides...?

Believe or burn for eternity.

Yea that's not forceful at all.
09-06-2015, 10:15 AM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2015 07:15 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(09-06-2015 09:54 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(09-06-2015 03:38 AM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  I've noticed something rather interesting every time I sit down with my father in law and he gets all preachy.

First off he brings up this accident he got in as a teenager and how he should be dead but God saved him. He says that he heard a voice that told him to put his seat belt. He swears it was God. Every time he says this all I can think is "oh it couldn't have been you subconscious telling you something you've been told thousands of times no it had to be God". Then he will go on to say that when the paramedics found him they found the "handprint of God" across his chest. This being his seat belt. Yeah never mind the engineers who designed the seat belt no you thank your God, but I digress.

So next I've notice that he has this no true scottsman thing going on with why I don't believe. He thinks that I had to strict of a christian upbringing and that's why I reject God. Then he proceeds to try and tell me that I do believe just because I say "Jesus" in a sentence. What the fuck is up with some people. Then he tries to push his bullshit non-denominational church on me proclaiming that it's "different" because they don't force anything on anyone. Which is the biggest fucking lie of these new age non denominational churches.

I think I hate those more that the fundie churches. At least those own up to the old testament. The new age churches try to act like the shit doesn't apply which puts a huge hole in the already shitty logic. Sorry for the tangent.

Anyway the most annoying thing about all of this is that I've explained that I only went against the faith when I tried to better my belief by reading the bible from start to finish. He either forgets it or does like most Christians and is just stuck on preaching and not actually listening because I'm the devil.

All this as of late has got me feeling less and less neutral on religion and more wanting to actively attack it.

I'm sorry the only miracle your father-in-law can remember came from Detroit. But having been in some car accidents myself, it's nice to still be alive.

No, I don't think you trust in Jesus because you say His Name. I think you help fulfill and prove this scripture:

For even Christ did not please himself but, as it is written: "The insults of those who insult you have fallen on me." - Romans 15:3

That's right, using Jesus as a curse word fulfills a Bible prophecy, so if He isn't the Messiah, God and King, try to say something else, like "Gosh, that hurts when I stub my toe."

My church doesn't force anything on anyone, either. How do you know that is a lie? I think I would know after attending my church for decades and visiting many other churches besides...?

The role of a prophet was never to tell the future. In fact, omen reading and sooth-saying were forbidden in the Bible. Late in Hebrew culture, "peshers" began to be interpreted. Essentially there is no such thing as "Bible prophecy" as you fundies mean that term. It's simply ignorance of Hebrew culture and the role of a prophet in that society.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
09-06-2015, 10:16 AM
Quote: Then he proceeds to try and tell me that I do believe just because I say "Jesus" in a sentence.

Try using "Jesus Fucking Christ" once or twice and see what he makes of that.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
09-06-2015, 10:29 AM
If your father in-law heard god telling him to put on his seat belt, doesn't that mean that god fucked with his free will? Maybe this could be an angle you can use with him, by setting him up by asking him if he believes in free will. Still though, theists seem to just disregard their own inconsistent thought processes...
10-06-2015, 05:56 AM
(09-06-2015 10:29 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  If your father in-law heard god telling him to put on his seat belt, doesn't that mean that god fucked with his free will? Maybe this could be an angle you can use with him, by setting him up by asking him if he believes in free will. Still though, theists seem to just disregard their own inconsistent thought processes...

Very good point. Definitely going to use this.
10-06-2015, 08:12 AM
(09-06-2015 10:05 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  
(09-06-2015 09:54 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'm sorry the only miracle your father-in-law can remember came from Detroit. But having been in some car accidents myself, it's nice to still be alive.

Believe or burn for eternity.

Yea that's not forceful at all.

I can tell you that your alternatives per your free will are to trust Jesus or be in Hell for eternity. I can also present Bible facts. That doesn't make it a forceful presentation or an appeal to emotion.

Also, it's trust, not "believe" and suffer in darkness and discomfort, not "burn". I'm glad you know Roman Catholic Hell, but it isn't the Bible Hell of Luke 16 where the sufferer has an intelligible conversation with others, not "Ahhhhhhhh!"

Atheist myth which is used to make an appeal to emotion!

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-06-2015, 08:15 AM
(09-06-2015 10:15 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(09-06-2015 09:54 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'm sorry the only miracle your father-in-law can remember came from Detroit. But having been in some car accidents myself, it's nice to still be alive.

The role of a prophet was never to tell the future. In fact, omen reading and sooth-saying were forbidden in the Bible. Late in Hebrew culture, "peshers" began to be interpreted. Essentially there is no such thing as "Bible prophecy" as you fundies mean that term. It's simply ignorance of Hebrew culture and the role of a prophet in that society.

Hold on a sec. You yourself have claimed that the Isaiah 7 prophecy is not about a virgin but about a battle, (I think it's both) which would mean that the prophecy itself:

Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel. 15 He will be eating curds and honey when he knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right, 16 for before the boy knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right, the land of the two kings you dread will be laid waste. 17 The Lord will bring on you and on your people and on the house of your father a time unlike any since Ephraim broke away from Judah—he will bring the king of Assyria.”

IS ABOUT A FUTURE EVENT. You cannot have it both ways. Be consistent!

PS. Maybe look up "will" in a dictionary before saying prophecies aren't about the FUTURE.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-06-2015, 08:28 AM
(10-06-2015 08:15 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(09-06-2015 10:15 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The role of a prophet was never to tell the future. In fact, omen reading and sooth-saying were forbidden in the Bible. Late in Hebrew culture, "peshers" began to be interpreted. Essentially there is no such thing as "Bible prophecy" as you fundies mean that term. It's simply ignorance of Hebrew culture and the role of a prophet in that society.

Hold on a sec. You yourself have claimed that the Isaiah 7 prophecy is not about a virgin but about a battle, (I think it's both) which would mean that the prophecy itself:

Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel. 15 He will be eating curds and honey when he knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right, 16 for before the boy knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right, the land of the two kings you dread will be laid waste. 17 The Lord will bring on you and on your people and on the house of your father a time unlike any since Ephraim broke away from Judah—he will bring the king of Assyria.”

IS ABOUT A FUTURE EVENT. You cannot have it both ways. Be consistent!

PS. Maybe look up "will" in a dictionary before saying prophecies aren't about the FUTURE.

More Fundie idiocy, by someone who never took Biblical Studies from a competent scholar. Utterly FALSE. The "sign" was the child and the child was the son that one of the kings wives was SHORTLY to be found AT THAT TIME, pregnant with, (not a far future event). A Prophet was a wise person who advised the people OF THEIR OWN DAY, not a 'predictor' of far future events.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...3#pid49743
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid257278

10-06-2015, 08:33 AM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2015 09:05 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(10-06-2015 08:12 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I can tell you that your alternatives per your free will are to trust Jesus or be in Hell for eternity. I can also present Bible facts. That doesn't make it a forceful presentation or an appeal to emotion.

Also, it's trust, not "believe" and suffer in darkness and discomfort, not "burn". I'm glad you know Roman Catholic Hell, but it isn't the Bible Hell of Luke 16 where the sufferer has an intelligible conversation with others, not "Ahhhhhhhh!"

Atheist myth which is used to make an appeal to emotion!

So your god is SO FUCKING STUPID, that it would actually know the difference between a person who "said" they believed, but really didn't ? Facepalm
Faith in your world is a gift : "NO ONE SHALL COME TO ME UNLESS the Father draws him". Obviously not everyone is chosen, "Many are called but few are chosen". You really should read your Babble once in a while, and learn a few things about your cult. No one is "free" to chose something they KNOW honestly is false. It's intellectually dishonest, something Fyundies like you know nothing about.

ANd BTW, there is no "Bible hell". Paul did not believe in immortality except for the the "saved". The Jews did not believe in hell AT ALL. Sheol was not hell. The concept of immortality developed slowly in the apocalyptic period, something you also would know nothing about as you never took Biblical Studies from a competent scholar.