More talks with my father in law

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2015, 08:45 AM
RE: More talks with my father in law
I won't address the fallacies of his arguments, as you have pointed them out yourself here and, I presume, to him.
If the conversation happens often, then I think it's a good idea to do something other than try to "win" the argument. If you have a generally good relationship, and changing the subject hasn't worked, I'd recommend a serious conversation. You can tell him that his efforts are doing the opposite of what he intends, and perhaps even advise that he should trust in god to work in your life the same way (he perceives) god worked in your FIL's life. I've used that approach with my hyper-religious father, and it works…some of the time.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2015, 11:55 AM
Having borrowed knowledge is the only bad thing in all religion. We are forced to accept some knowledge that is some others experience. God do exist as their is some eternal non perishable thing but before searching for that we should deny all the belief that are imposed. So one should be atheist first then only he could be real theist. Build your own path to reach the ultimate.
10-06-2015, 12:41 PM
(10-06-2015 11:55 AM)Satyam Wrote:  Having borrowed knowledge is the only bad thing in all religion.

On the other hand, borrowing some knowledge might do you a world of good.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
11-06-2015, 08:52 AM
(10-06-2015 08:12 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(09-06-2015 10:05 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Believe or burn for eternity.

Yea that's not forceful at all.

I can tell you that your alternatives per your free will are to trust Jesus or be in Hell for eternity.

Nice threat. And where is your evidence?

Quote:I can also present Bible facts. That doesn't make it a forceful presentation or an appeal to emotion.

Bible facts? That's some good comedy.

Quote:Also, it's trust, not "believe" and suffer in darkness and discomfort, not "burn". I'm glad you know Roman Catholic Hell, but it isn't the Bible Hell of Luke 16 where the sufferer has an intelligible conversation with others, not "Ahhhhhhhh!"

Atheist myth which is used to make an appeal to emotion!

Atheist myth? No, it is some Christians' view of Hell. We don't make this stuff up.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-06-2015, 09:29 AM
But Chas, Q has the real truth!

How did he attain this unique information you ask? God spoke to him through the Holy Spirit. And unless you choose to believe he's right first, then you can attain the same information. If not, well you should just take his word for it.
11-06-2015, 10:12 AM
(10-06-2015 08:33 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(10-06-2015 08:12 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I can tell you that your alternatives per your free will are to trust Jesus or be in Hell for eternity. I can also present Bible facts. That doesn't make it a forceful presentation or an appeal to emotion.

Also, it's trust, not "believe" and suffer in darkness and discomfort, not "burn". I'm glad you know Roman Catholic Hell, but it isn't the Bible Hell of Luke 16 where the sufferer has an intelligible conversation with others, not "Ahhhhhhhh!"

Atheist myth which is used to make an appeal to emotion!

So your god is SO FUCKING STUPID, that it would actually know the difference between a person who "said" they believed, but really didn't ? Facepalm
Faith in your world is a gift : "NO ONE SHALL COME TO ME UNLESS the Father draws him". Obviously not everyone is chosen, "Many are called but few are chosen". You really should read your Babble once in a while, and learn a few things about your cult. No one is "free" to chose something they KNOW honestly is false. It's intellectually dishonest, something Fyundies like you know nothing about.

ANd BTW, there is no "Bible hell". Paul did not believe in immortality except for the the "saved". The Jews did not believe in hell AT ALL. Sheol was not hell. The concept of immortality developed slowly in the apocalyptic period, something you also would know nothing about as you never took Biblical Studies from a competent scholar.

I hear a noise... what is it? Oh yes, you shifting the goalposts again. I'll just answer your other wrong post, shall I?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
11-06-2015, 10:17 AM
(10-06-2015 08:28 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(10-06-2015 08:15 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Hold on a sec. You yourself have claimed that the Isaiah 7 prophecy is not about a virgin but about a battle, (I think it's both) which would mean that the prophecy itself:

Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel. 15 He will be eating curds and honey when he knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right, 16 for before the boy knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right, the land of the two kings you dread will be laid waste. 17 The Lord will bring on you and on your people and on the house of your father a time unlike any since Ephraim broke away from Judah—he will bring the king of Assyria.”

IS ABOUT A FUTURE EVENT. You cannot have it both ways. Be consistent!

PS. Maybe look up "will" in a dictionary before saying prophecies aren't about the FUTURE.

More Fundie idiocy, by someone who never took Biblical Studies from a competent scholar. Utterly FALSE. The "sign" was the child and the child was the son that one of the kings wives was SHORTLY to be found AT THAT TIME, pregnant with, (not a far future event). A Prophet was a wise person who advised the people OF THEIR OWN DAY, not a 'predictor' of far future events.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...3#pid49743
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid257278

I think remedial reading may be in order, BB. The woman who was pregnant was to bear a son who would be birthed and named Immanuel prior to the battle under discussion:

Pregnant THEN born and named THEN battle.

I could give you 500 other examples, like for example, Moses saying in the future God will raise up a prophet like me and if Israel disobeys this one they shall enter a long diaspora or "He will have nothing in His appearance that we should be attracted to Him, yet He will be with a rich man in his death and after, will count His descendants" but you are still hanging on like a dog with raw meat to some cockeyed theory you heard from one of your "competent" professors.

Please either quote some sources more ancient than 2013 CE claiming prophets gave "awesome visions of the PRESENT" or stop this nonsense. It's nonsense, brother BB!

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
11-06-2015, 09:13 PM
I agree. What he is doing is having the opposite effect and he needs to know it. Although really how much further from what he believes can you get. It's kind of like once your naked, that's it. Can't be more naked. Wink