More than a Carpenter book - Need some Help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2013, 10:42 AM
RE: More than a Carpenter book - Need some Help
Quote: "... Oh didn't you know that Jesus has brothers? I have no idea why Catholics say Mary was virgin" Well, he is very ignorant about and seems a bit judgemental about other sects of this religion he seems so eager to drag people into.
I just checked some statistics on the Nation Master website. They put my country at 95% Roman catholic 5% Other
(Mostly other denominations of Christians, going by what I've seen) . I'm not worried a lot about people listening to him and converting to Christianity. Tongue

Strangely enough i found someone in class who i believe is an atheist. When the teacher presented Jesus miracles as evidence of God a classmate interjected with the "Well you attribute those miracles to God, but what if it is not God but the flying spaghetti monster that is responsible for those?". It was good considering other interjections by classmates consisted of "He just wants to sin".

Also strange is the fact that even when we have an almost 100% christian country, you still see people in the streets with loudspeaker. talking about how we need to convert in order to be saved. And how we need to follow the path of God if we want to have a better country.

Quote: I have read this book or brochure. It has many weak arguments, like the "liar, madman, messiah" false dichotomy. Ultimately, it bets everything on the Book of Luke, its authenticity. I don't know anything about the book of Luke.
The "liar, madman, messiah" chapter was hilarious. It's one of the reasons why at the end of the book i had so little respect for the guy. You could see so clearly how biased he was. But it seemed like he never noticed what he was doing.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2013, 09:07 AM
My teacher did it again, last class we had a test and he spent the whole hour preaching. Like actually preaching, he opened a bible website on the projector and started reading the seed's parable. You know, the one where there is a seed that lands on a rocky field and one in good soil.

He started explaining the meaning of the parable. And how some people will take the word and not nurture it and let it die. Some others just don't even listen to the word and never get it. I don't know which one he thought i was since he was looking at me for most of it.

He spent the whole time he was preaching with a smirk. the same one some people get when they think they got the perfect quote to refute what you are saying. I don't think that he knows the parable means nothing to me since i don't believe in the bible.

Anyways, it was a little funny but mostly annoying. I really lost all desire to talk to him about anything anymore.
28-03-2013, 09:15 AM
(28-03-2013 09:07 AM)Techgorilla Wrote:  My teacher did it again, last class we had a test and he spent the whole hour preaching. Like actually preaching, he opened a bible website on the projector and started reading the seed's parable. You know, the one where there is a seed that lands on a rocky field and one in good soil.

He started explaining the meaning of the parable. And how some people will take the word and not nurture it and let it die. Some others just don't even listen to the word and never get it. I don't know which one he thought i was since he was looking at me for most of it.

He spent the whole time he was preaching with a smirk. the same one some people get when they think they got the perfect quote to refute what you are saying. I don't think that he knows the parable means nothing to me since i don't believe in the bible.

Anyways, it was a little funny but mostly annoying. I really lost all desire to talk to him about anything anymore.

This guy is waaaaaay the fuck out of line. Why are you putting up with this?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Apathy i guess, i'm already used to bad teachers. I don't feel like bringing this to the school authorities since i still have a couple of classes left. I'll just try to avoid his classes from now on.

Probably part of it is my fault, i should have never engaged him when he was talking about religion, and definitely should not have told him that i was an atheist. Maybe he would've forgotten about the topic.
28-03-2013, 09:27 AM
(25-02-2013 10:47 AM)Techgorilla Wrote:  Hi guys, this is my first thread so be gentle.

I've been having some interesting religious discussions with my web programming teacher (yes he is a programming teacher yet he loves to discuss religion) . Although he says he does not want to convert me he seems to love to engage me on conversations about belief. I really don't mind since i enjoy them.

On our last discussion he urged me to read the book "More than a carpenter" by Josh Mcdowell. I decided to go ahead and read it since it was a pretty small book. After finishing i was surprised that he expected this book to change my mind (Assuming that was his expectation).

Anyways, this book is probably going to come up on our next discussion. I already have some examples of mistakes on the book that i wanted to bring up if he wanted to discuss it.

Stuff Like:
1. In the "Science" chapter the author urges you to disregard the scientific evidence since it would be impossible to have scientific evidence of events like the Jesus resurrection.

2.The fact that after explaining how we need external evidence to proof the bible is true he then cites one historian. He then proceeds to explain how the bible is true because an archaeologist found that the bible had a very accurate description of an ancient place or city.

Those are points that i can take on myself. What i wanted to ask you guys (for those who have read the book or know of it) is, Do any of you have any Easily "Debunkable" points that i can bring up? The main criteria is that i want to be able to discuss it without having to search for sources every 2 seconds. After all we are still in a class and we don't really have much time.

So do any of you can come up with other points that i can argue?

Mock Discussion

Why do you think that it's a good idea to use science for the purpose of a Resurrection?

Isn't it the case that if you find evidence of people and places then there is appropriate to assume that other events described are also true. Why do you discount this?[/b]

Just an outsider looking inn.
28-03-2013, 09:35 AM
(28-03-2013 09:24 AM)Techgorilla Wrote:  Apathy i guess, i'm already used to bad teachers. I don't feel like bringing this to the school authorities since i still have a couple of classes left. I'll just try to avoid his classes from now on.

Probably part of it is my fault, i should have never engaged him when he was talking about religion, and definitely should not have told him that i was an atheist. Maybe he would've forgotten about the topic.

No, you should have told him to shut the fuck up and do his job.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
28-03-2013, 03:10 PM
If you do not report him, you cannot complain about him.

So much damage done by silence.

--J.D.

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism