"Morgan Freeman's Through the wormhole."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2014, 10:32 AM
"Morgan Freeman's Through the wormhole."
I remember this episode of Morgan Freeman's through the wormhole, which was about god.
Okay, so, they decided to do an experiment in it. They asked a bunch of kids (Age 3-7) questions and pulled out pictures of stuff. The first picture they handed kids was a picture of rocks. They asked: "Some people think that these rocks formed when little pieces of sand piled on top of each other, and created these sharp rocks. (Which I think they kinda made a strawman.) Other people think that these rocks were there for the purpose of letting animals, if itchy, scratch themselves upon the rocks. Which one do you think is right?" and, presumably, most kids answered the latter was right. They repeated this with different questions and almost every kid chose the purpose-base answers. (Like, water is for animals to cool.) They repeated this experiment with adults, and even the scientifically minded ones picked the purpose based answers. (However they did not reveal the wording of the questions, which was dubious.) They then made the conclusion, backed up with evidence, that the human mind is better at finding and using purpose based answers instead of the REAL answer. (They kinda meant that god was a purpose based answer.)

They did another study, in which they asked college students to unscramble a five words, but they cannot use the fifth one. Half of the students were given a test, which when the sentences were unscrambled, they would be religious statements, and the other half got regular sentences. After the students did the test, they all had to see how many shots of a mysterious substance, (vodka, orange juice and vinegar.) they would take. The people who got the religious test, had WAAAAYY more shots of this nasty substance that the normal testers, even though most of them cringed. (I think they jumped to some crazy conclusion on this one.)

My opinion:
Okay, so for the first experiment, I thought, wow, if god is supposed to be a purpose based answer, and all of the purpose based answered that the kids and adults picked were wrong, does that mean god is false?

For the 2nd experiment, I was like: "Doesn't this just prove that religion makes people gullible, and persuade them to do things they hate?"

What's your opinion? Please tell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
17-04-2014, 11:16 AM
RE: "Morgan Freeman's Through the wormhole."
I touched on half of this in an earlier post: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-pandering

The purpose-based segment got me laughing, too. I don't know if I saw it like you did, that god is false, but it made me just shake my head.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-04-2014, 11:21 AM
(17-04-2014 11:16 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  I touched on half of this in an earlier post: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-pandering

The purpose-based segment got me laughing, too. I don't know if I saw it like you did, that god is false, but it made me just shake my head.

Oh yeah, that's the conclusion. They did the "Self-Control" crap.

But it really wasn't "self"-control that was controlling them. They didn't prohibit themselves, but the text prohibited them. (In example, mind control.)

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 2 users Like Alex_Leonardo's post
17-04-2014, 12:37 PM
(17-04-2014 10:32 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  What's your opinion? Please tell.

My opinion is I used to think Morgan Freeman was awesome, and you shattered that illusion for me. What the hell, man!? Gasp

I've now got to treat him like Tom Cruise: I love a lot of movies he's in, but I don't like to contemplate him as a person outside of those roles.
17-04-2014, 08:46 PM
(17-04-2014 12:37 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(17-04-2014 10:32 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  What's your opinion? Please tell.

My opinion is I used to think Morgan Freeman was awesome, and you shattered that illusion for me. What the hell, man!? Gasp

I've now got to treat him like Tom Cruise: I love a lot of movies he's in, but I don't like to contemplate him as a person outside of those roles.

Morgan freeman doesn't direct the shows, right? (Also the tests were actually done by outside parties before the episode was written.)
Morgan freeman is just a narrator and also he's pretty awesome. I don't think he agrees with some of the stuff he narrates.(but I think he's an atheist anyway.)
Also, he doesn't collect the facts and create the conclusions, right?

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
18-04-2014, 06:00 AM
(17-04-2014 08:46 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  I don't think he agrees with some of the stuff he narrates.(but I think he's an atheist anyway.)

Do you have any reason to believe that? I don't know much about him as a person.
18-04-2014, 07:41 AM
(18-04-2014 06:00 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(17-04-2014 08:46 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  I don't think he agrees with some of the stuff he narrates.(but I think he's an atheist anyway.)

Do you have any reason to believe that? I don't know much about him as a person.

I think he's pretty open minded about things. I know he's said publicly that he's not a "man of God", and has a real interest in science.

'Through the Wormhole' wasn't really about hard scientific facts, it was very much speculative, looking at the very brink of our understanding, examining the various scientific hypotheses and considering their philosophical implications. So I can forgive a few mistakes made in production.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user