Mormon baptising the dead

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2016, 04:26 PM
RE: Mormon baptising the dead
(24-03-2016 02:28 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(24-03-2016 01:12 PM)Alla Wrote:  You probably will ask...

Nope. Laugh out load

Don't care doesn't begin to cover it.
sure Thumbsup

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2016, 04:28 PM
(24-03-2016 04:00 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Ahhhh, well...I see what your problem is, you believe a bunch of hoo-haa written by some nit-wits.

you got it, this is exactly my problem Thumbsup

24-03-2016, 04:29 PM
(24-03-2016 02:30 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(24-03-2016 01:30 PM)Alla Wrote:  I don't think that I can speak for God.
I read what God said (according to the Scriptures). I KNOW what Scriptures say. And I believe that what Scriptures say is true.
That's all.

There's thousands of books out there, all attributed to "god".....

And of course, YOU picked the right one...

Ain't you a special little snowflake????
not at all. thousands of books have some truth about God.

[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
24-03-2016, 04:38 PM
(24-03-2016 04:29 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(24-03-2016 02:30 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  There's thousands of books out there, all attributed to "god".....

Yes some books do have truth about God like this one:

[Image: 513Xw6c1nAL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

I'm currently reading it, I highly recommend.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 6 users Like SitaSky's post
24-03-2016, 04:49 PM
@Alla

Don't be stupid. This is the whole reason you are here, to tell us people about God.

You told us what God will do.

Quote:He will forgive everyone. EVERYONE of us. Every human being. Every son of His and every daughter of His.

You told us what God is.

Quote:God is Mercy and Justice. God can not be only Mercy or only Justice, otherwise He can not be God.

You told us why.

Quote:Only when there is the Atonement God can forgive everyone of us without ROBBING Justice.

You never mentioned a book? The scriptures, Alla, remember?

Quote:I read what God said (according to the Scriptures). I KNOW what Scriptures say. And I believe that what Scriptures say is true.

You're right. I shouldn't care what you believe. Anyone can believe anything. I only care if you know. You don't. If I want to review what Mormons believe, I can read their scriptures and study their manuals on my own.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
24-03-2016, 05:16 PM (This post was last modified: 24-03-2016 05:33 PM by GirlyMan.)
(24-03-2016 04:29 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(24-03-2016 02:30 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  There's thousands of books out there, all attributed to "god".....

That reminds me of Joseph Campbell's observation that, "Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble."

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
24-03-2016, 08:14 PM
Yes, I performed baptisms for the dead once. I grew up in the church so I knew about it and didn't protest when I was asked to do this. I think I was 16 years old? The only thing I really recall was asking if I could be baptized for Jimi Hendrix or somebody else I admired. They said no and that it didn't really work that way. Mostly the names given are from members who have researched their family history and these names are cataloged somehow in a genealogical database with a general order to be followed. Personally I am fascinated by how much effort is put in to figuring stuff like this out. My grandfather did our genealogy research almost full time when he retired and now I have a pedigree that dates to the 1400's. It's pretty cool.

I say I did it once because it felt awkward having to get naked in such a supposedly sacred place. You're in this big locker room with privacy stalls of course but some of the guys treat it like they just finished a football game and stroll in and out of the shower totally in the buff. I never played sports so maybe that's why it was awkward to me?

I got naked once more when my current wife and I were married in the temple. Something about endowments is all I remember except instead of wearing a baptismal jump suit, you wear a flimsy privacy gown, open on the sides, for this particular ceremony. I think they do this for the dead also but I could be wrong.

That second time was a strange day for me and definitely a pivotal moment towards my gradual doubting of everything I had accepted about the church I grew up in. Why did god have to be so ritualistic in order to be accepted into heaven? That felt so wrong! Up to that point, I'd never been confronted with anything like that in the church. I knew the temple was supposed to be a special place but for goodness sake, you gotta learn a secret handshake in order to enter the kingdom of god...?

The church was ingrained in me and I had swallowed every peculiar nuance my whole life up to that point. I went to the temple many times right after that to try and understand it better. More and more it just felt plain dumb. Verging on juvenile even. I thought, maybe it's just me... I'm not worthy or something. My wife loved it and felt enlightened by the whole experience. Fortunately, my doubt ensued and I researched everything I could about church history. I also visited Palmyra NY and the place where the first Mormon prophet was jailed and killed in Liberty Illinois.

I learned so much more about the church by reading actual historians of the burned-out district of New York among the turn of the 19th century than they ever taught me in my house of faith. It takes a long time to break the chains of a brainwashed mind. For me I guess was about 10 years. Convincing my wife to leave a church that I had previously convinced her to join was also a most difficult task indeed. But I'm glad we did it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Grassy Knoll's post
24-03-2016, 08:27 PM
(24-03-2016 08:14 PM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  Yes, I performed baptisms for the dead once. I grew up in the church so I knew about it and didn't protest when I was asked to do this. I think I was 16 years old? The only thing I really recall was asking if I could be baptized for Jimi Hendrix or somebody else I admired. They said no and that it didn't really work that way. Mostly the names given are from members who have researched their family history and these names are cataloged somehow in a genealogical database with a general order to be followed. Personally I am fascinated by how much effort is put in to figuring stuff like this out. My grandfather did our genealogy research almost full time when he retired and now I have a pedigree that dates to the 1400's. It's pretty cool.

I say I did it once because it felt awkward having to get naked in such a supposedly sacred place. You're in this big locker room with privacy stalls of course but some of the guys treat it like they just finished a football game and stroll in and out of the shower totally in the buff. I never played sports so maybe that's why it was awkward to me?

I got naked once more when my current wife and I were married in the temple. Something about endowments is all I remember except instead of wearing a baptismal jump suit, you wear a flimsy privacy gown, open on the sides, for this particular ceremony. I think they do this for the dead also but I could be wrong.

That second time was a strange day for me and definitely a pivotal moment towards my gradual doubting of everything I had accepted about the church I grew up in. Why did god have to be so ritualistic in order to be accepted into heaven? That felt so wrong! Up to that point, I'd never been confronted with anything like that in the church. I knew the temple was supposed to be a special place but for goodness sake, you gotta learn a secret handshake in order to enter the kingdom of god...?

The church was ingrained in me and I had swallowed every peculiar nuance my whole life up to that point. I went to the temple many times right after that to try and understand it better. More and more it just felt plain dumb. Verging on juvenile even. I thought, maybe it's just me... I'm not worthy or something. My wife loved it and felt enlightened by the whole experience. Fortunately, my doubt ensued and I researched everything I could about church history. I also visited Palmyra NY and the place where the first Mormon prophet was jailed and killed in Liberty Illinois.

I learned so much more about the church by reading actual historians of the burned-out district of New York among the turn of the 19th century than they ever taught me in my house of faith. It takes a long time to break the chains of a brainwashed mind. For me I guess was about 10 years. Convincing my wife to leave a church that I had previously convinced her to join was also a most difficult task indeed. But I'm glad we did it.

(24-03-2016 08:14 PM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  [quote] say I did it once because it felt awkward having to get naked in such a supposedly sacred place. You're in this big locker room with privacy stalls

Wait, you get naked in a big locker room with "privacy stalls" to do this baptising of the dead? Did I read that right?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
24-03-2016, 09:53 PM
(24-03-2016 08:27 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Wait, you get naked in a big locker room with "privacy stalls" to do this baptising of the dead? Did I read that right?

Yes. To don the baptismal outfit. An all white jump suit if I remember correctly. Then you go get wet for a multiple dunking in rather quick succession, then you change back into street clothes.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user