Mormonism: A White Supremacy Cult? (answer: yes)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2014, 08:33 AM
RE: Mormonism: A White Supremacy Cult? (answer: yes)
(17-01-2014 01:26 AM)Chippy Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 10:46 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  I am irrational now because I mock what some past and present Mormons even identify as bad teachings? Well at least I have that human thing to stick with.

You are irrational because you want to run with a pack regardless of where they will take you. Your outrage at LDS doctrine is either false or misguided because it was entirely unremarkable for the time in which it originated. I can show you equally racist ideas regarding sub-Saharan Africans from secular, Christian, Jewish and Islamic opinion leaders from the 19th-Century.

You are also commiting a genetic fallacy. Merely because the nation-state of the USA once allowed slave-owning doesn't entail that it now tacitly endorses slave-ownership. Same for the Church of LDS.

Where can you go with this ill-conceived rhetorical tactic? It looks like a circle-jerk to me.

Racism or slavery in any regard is horrible and just because other religions include it in their doctrines does not protect Mormonism from ridicule. And slavery was abolished in this country by leaders who were correcting a wrong. Comparing this to a sacred scripture is ridiculous. The scripture cannot be fixed just because it does not sit well with any individual - it is the only concrete description and accounts of the behaviors and intentions of a person's GOD.

You cannot relate secular intentions/actions with the supposed divine - so again sorry for my ill-concieved tactics once again. Oh, and thanks for insinuating I have no mind of my own for being here among others who also do not subjugate to any worship myths.

One more question - do you think the fight to eliminate racism and slavery would have progressed faster in the absence of these religions over the last few centuries?

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
17-01-2014, 08:46 AM
(17-01-2014 08:08 AM)maklelan Wrote:  This is a silly and naive game you're playing in an attempt to assert transcendence over the whole notion of belief
Say what you will buddy but atheism is not a belief system or an ideology as you're inferring it to be.
Quote:and therefore distance yourself from the cognitive deficiencies you think comprise religious thought. Despite your assertions
Ironic considering the fact that you're the jacksass who's assuming that i view theists as cognitively inferior.
Quote:you demonstrably do not hold to a mere absence of belief about religion.
dammit you got me! okay okay... i admit i don't believe in Godzilla either. Weeping
Quote:You have asserted judgment after judgment about religion and religious people, which by very definition constitutes belief.
But Atheism still stands for LACK of belief in God.
Quote:You either have to say "No comment" about absolutely everything or you have to stake a claim to a belief
Okay that doesn't apply to God because God's unprovable and untestable... and as hitchens says :-

"That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence"

so there you go.Drinking Beverage

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
17-01-2014, 08:49 AM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2014 08:53 AM by DLJ.)
(17-01-2014 08:03 AM)maklelan Wrote:  ...
antagonistically

Erm Consider ... not intentionally.

My apologies, I thought we were on the same page. My mistake. OK, I guess you were referring to an inner-struggle.

So, are you now saying that you don't see anything wrong in what what was done to Alla?

That's a shame.

And no, I was not equating addiction to "brain-washing" which I think is what you might have been alluding to.

17-01-2014, 08:53 AM
(17-01-2014 06:20 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Fair enough, I stand corrected.

For some reason it doesn't appear in Oxford's own online dictionary or any other one I've checked for that matter. Consider

The Oxford lists both Nazism and Naziism, but annotates Nazism as American English.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-01-2014, 08:56 AM
(17-01-2014 07:37 AM)maklelan Wrote:  
(17-01-2014 07:29 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  Nope... just lack of belief.

You're playing high school-level semantic games, here. No human being that has ever existed has ever lacked belief, and just identifying yourself as "agnostic atheist" stakes a claim to a certain constellation of beliefs. Those beliefs may reject other beliefs, but they are beliefs nonetheless, no matter how bad you want to claim you hold to no beliefs.

No, he's not. If you actually paid attention to what others had to say, you'd see that the worldviews expressed by atheists differ quite a bit.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-01-2014, 09:36 AM
(17-01-2014 08:49 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Erm Consider ... not intentionally.

I would consider characterizing conversion as "mind-slaving" to be flagrantly and intentionally antagonistic.

(17-01-2014 08:49 AM)DLJ Wrote:  My apologies, I thought we were on the same page. My mistake. OK, I guess you were referring to an inner-struggle.

So, are you now saying that you don't see anything wrong in what what was done to Alla?

That's a shame.

I don't think patronizing me is helpful.

(17-01-2014 08:49 AM)DLJ Wrote:  And no, I was not equating addiction to "brain-washing" which I think is what you might have been alluding to.

Not just brainwashing, but the whole project.

My Blog
17-01-2014, 09:40 AM
(17-01-2014 08:53 AM)Chas Wrote:  The Oxford lists both Nazism and Naziism, but annotates Nazism as American English.
No, not that. I was talking about "Nazist" (hence the link).

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
17-01-2014, 09:47 AM
(17-01-2014 08:27 AM)Dom Wrote:  Believing is choosing to consider something to be factual even though one does not know it is factual.

Well, that's not true at all. "Believe" fundamentally means "to accept as true," without reference at all to available evidence or lack thereof. There is a subordinate semantic sense of religious belief, or faith, but to suggest that exhausts the semantic range of the word "belief," or even fills the majority of it, is utter and complete nonsense. We can appeal to atheists on this very board for confirmation of this, too. Why did no one correct tracyselena's thread title, "Bullied into not speaking about my beliefs"? The notion that atheism does not constitute belief of any kind is staggeringly ignorant rhetorical posturing meant only to suggest an atheism's intellectual transcendence and compartmentalization.

My Blog
[+] 1 user Likes maklelan's post
17-01-2014, 09:54 AM
[Image: ezU5F.jpg]

Tyson FTW!!

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
[+] 2 users Like IndianAtheist's post
17-01-2014, 10:03 AM
(17-01-2014 09:54 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  Tyson FTW!!

And yet:

http://firstchurchofatheism.com/

http://news.yahoo.com/atheist-mega-churc...19648.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chief-rabb...34568.html

http://www.atheists.org/convention2014

http://www.atheistconvention.org.au/

http://www.aaaboston2013.com/

http://www.atheistalliance.org/activities/conventions

[this board]

I agree that the notion of organized and navel-gazing atheism violates a lot of the ideals for which certain atheists advocate, but that's a you problem. After all, you're participating right now in exactly what Dr. Tyson criticizes.

My Blog
[+] 2 users Like maklelan's post