Mormonism: A White Supremacy Cult? (answer: yes)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2014, 08:49 PM
RE: Mormonism: A White Supremacy Cult? (answer: yes)
(16-01-2014 11:13 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  I read that book, it was amusing.

Yet I find it wrong how people claim today that mormons must be racist because of it.

Yes it is an informal fallacy termed the genetic fallacy. It is akin to arguing that since Germany was once Nazist it continues in some way to be Nazist.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2014, 08:50 PM
(16-01-2014 11:12 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Disgusting information! If you were brought up in it and know nothing else - RUN! If you want to defend the teachings here with rational and moral humans - also RUN!

Rational humans like you huh?
16-01-2014, 10:46 PM
(16-01-2014 08:50 PM)Chippy Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 11:12 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  Disgusting information! If you were brought up in it and know nothing else - RUN! If you want to defend the teachings here with rational and moral humans - also RUN!

Rational humans like you huh?

I am irrational now because I mock what some past and present Mormons even identify as bad teachings? Well at least I have that human thing to stick with.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
16-01-2014, 10:57 PM
(16-01-2014 12:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  The point that has been largely ignored is that like most organizations, the Mormon Church's position changes with the zeitgeist, lagging by about a generation.

Doesn't this indicate a human origin for the supposed revelations? I think the answer is obvious.

This I completely agree with and is the point I was making in another thread. It's clear to me there have been some BIG changes since I was LDS 20 years ago. ... NOBODY questioned the prophet, the book of Mormon was meant to be and was trated as a literal account of events as a historically accurate document and that was how it was.

It obviously has changed which shows it is of human construct.

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
17-01-2014, 01:26 AM
(16-01-2014 10:46 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  
(16-01-2014 08:50 PM)Chippy Wrote:  Rational humans like you huh?

I am irrational now because I mock what some past and present Mormons even identify as bad teachings? Well at least I have that human thing to stick with.

You are irrational because you want to run with a pack regardless of where they will take you. Your outrage at LDS doctrine is either false or misguided because it was entirely unremarkable for the time in which it originated. I can show you equally racist ideas regarding sub-Saharan Africans from secular, Christian, Jewish and Islamic opinion leaders from the 19th-Century.

You are also commiting a genetic fallacy. Merely because the nation-state of the USA once allowed slave-owning doesn't entail that it now tacitly endorses slave-ownership. Same for the Church of LDS.

Where can you go with this ill-conceived rhetorical tactic? It looks like a circle-jerk to me.
17-01-2014, 01:57 AM
(16-01-2014 08:18 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  You have lost all credibility as far as I am concerned, you may be a decent scholar but in the real world you just a pompas ass.

That doesn't make any sense and pompous is misspelled.

--Maklelan has "lost all credibility" because he is a "decent scholar" or because you think he has a double-standard? Either way it doesn't work.

--This is another instance where you can use your own posts to learn about logical fallacies. If he has "lost all credibility" because he is "just a pompas ass" (sic) then you are committing the fallacy of ad hominem. Yes you are actually committing it! AFAIK I am the only member of the forum that has actually identified real cases of that fallacy.

--Given that you can't spell "pompous" (and don't understand what the fallacy of ad hominem actually is) I am guessing your threshold for what is "pompous" is set quite low (and probably includes people that spell pompous).

--How are you assessing credibility? Shouldn't you be assessing the credibility of the substantive content of a post by referencing its citations? Isn't that the only credible way of determining credibility? Being a "pompas ass" (sic) has no bearing on credibility.

--Many people accused Christopher Hitchens of being a "pompous ass". Is any literate and articulate person that disagrees with you--to use your own spelling--a "pompas ass"?
17-01-2014, 04:27 AM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2014 04:38 AM by Vosur.)
(17-01-2014 01:57 AM)Chippy Wrote:  That doesn't make any sense and pompous is misspelled.
Not that I want to pick on you or anything, but given your own spelling mistakes in other posts, you really shouldn't play the Grammar Nazi around here. Angel

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
17-01-2014, 04:38 AM
(17-01-2014 04:27 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(17-01-2014 01:57 AM)Chippy Wrote:  That doesn't make any sense and pompous is misspelled.
Not that I want to pick on you or anything, but given your own spelling mistakes in other posts, you really shouldn't play the Grammar Nazi around here. Angel

Most of my spelling errors are typographic and relative to the volume of words I produce they are actually few. "pompas" is not a typographic error and it is an error that spans three letters: incorrect 'a' and no 'o' and no 'u'. Can you find a spelling error that I have made that spans three letters?
17-01-2014, 04:41 AM
(17-01-2014 04:38 AM)Chippy Wrote:  Most of my spelling errors are typographic and relative to the volume of words I produce they are actually few. "pompas" is not a typographic error and it is an error that spans three letters: incorrect 'a' and no 'o' and no 'u'. Can you find a spelling error that I have made that spans three letters?
I would have to research a bit to find one that fulfills this arbitrary criterion, but I already know of one that spans two letters.

(16-01-2014 08:49 PM)Chippy Wrote:  Yes it is an informal fallacy termed the genetic fallacy. It is akin to arguing that since Germany was once Nazist it continues in some way to be Nazist.

"Nazist" is not an actual word; the correct term is "Nazi".

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
17-01-2014, 04:43 AM
[Image: grammar_correction_cat.jpg]

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
[+] 4 users Like IndianAtheist's post