Mormons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Mormons
A lot I do not really understand about these greedy and pretentious people.
Apparently they think they will get their own planet or some say an entire "universe" to rule over as their own if they become something called "exalted" or something of the like.

Anywhere I can do more research on this? I know nothing about them really, other than this bit of course.

What does everyone here know about their suppose faith? So far, to me, it seems that their faith is really based on the lust of power and dictatorship than anything else.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2014, 07:31 AM
RE: Mormons
(04-08-2014 10:20 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Anywhere I can do more research on this? I know nothing about them really, other than this bit of course.

If you want a biased, snarky overview, there's always the RationalWiki article on Mormonism.

(04-08-2014 10:20 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  What does everyone here know about their suppose faith? So far, to me, it seems that their faith is really based on the lust of power and dictatorship than anything else.

That, and blindly trusting your superiors who have had "revelations". The LDS church sort of works with a precedence system where people can have revelations, so long as they don't blatantly contradict the Bible/Book of Mormon or other previous revelations. Of course, one might have to get a bit creative with interpretations to avoid contradictions, but that's never stopped theists before.

It's a very cult-like church in that they demand a lot of your time and try to structure things so that the church is the center of your life. You're not supposed to spend much time associating with non-Mormons and your children are to be indoctrinated early.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
05-08-2014, 07:43 AM
Greed is not a patent held by one religion. Our species has always had those who share and those who value power. You can make an argument however, that religion does set up a false sense of entitlement.

Even prior to all modern monotheism and modern polytheism, our species falsely took their good fortune as coming from the divine.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
05-08-2014, 09:02 AM
It's not "based on a lust for power".

Really, the easiest way to think about it is that Mormons pick up where other Christians stop. Your average Christian has a belief that you die and go to heaven. Period. But what happens when you get to heaven? Nobody really knows. Eternal bliss. What does that mean? Hell if I know...

Mormons answer that - think of it like evolution for your soul.

You have eternity to learn and grow and perfect yourself. Given ALL of ETERNITY you will eventually become as perfect as god. When that happens, you will be ready to be a god (because you're perfect like he is). When you're ready for that, you WILL be a god with your own god-dom (it's like a kingdom but bigger) for you to manage.

the Mormons I know (and I know lots of them since I live in Salt Lake City, the Mormon capital of the world) don't really see this as a power play or a lust for power or anything like that. They just see it as an inevitable consequence of spending eternity living in heaven with God as a role-model.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
29-11-2014, 08:19 AM
One man's family is another man's maffia right? They're a tight knit bunch much like any like minded community but I wouldn't cast many ominous dispersions about them.

(05-08-2014 09:02 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  They just see it as an inevitable consequence of spending eternity living in heaven with God as a role-model.

I would agree with that general assessment. I was born and raised in the mormon church, married in a temple and baptised my children. Church meetings are mostly about dealing with day to day shit and not about discussing all the strange beliefs it comes with. If you happen to go down that road you probably realize that no one else wants to talk about it and you eventually leave the church like I did.

For an in depth examination of mormon origins read Dan Vogel or check out his youtube channel here.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Grassy Knoll's post
29-11-2014, 08:40 AM
Magic underwear.

'Nuff said.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 3 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
29-11-2014, 11:58 AM
To me they seem to be more cult like than christian denominations.
My ex invited two of them into her home out of curiosity and ended up getting baptized as a mormon within 6 months.
They gave her passages to read and visited every other day to talk to her about what she had read.
They invited her to social get togethers which ended up being a big group hug and a source of fake friendship that people can get sucked into if they don't have a lot of friends. When you meet a group of people and they ALL tell you how glad they are that you are there and how wonderful it is to see you and show you all this fake love, a person could tend to lean toward that.

"You're going to be at the next get together aren't you. I would be so sad if you didn't show up."

It's all manipulation and assigning someone work to do so that they are constantly around other mormons.
They gave her work assignments every day that exhausted her. She didn't have a job at the time and was spending so much time doing free work for the church that she didn't have time or motivation to look for a real job.

So ya, this religious group basically ended our relationship.

On the plus side, she has since ended ties with them and found a real job.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
29-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Did we .... use the magical search thingy at the top of the forum page?

We do have a couple of ex-Mormon members. Drinking Beverage Just sayin'.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
29-11-2014, 01:30 PM
(29-11-2014 08:40 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Magic underwear.

'Nuff said.

Posthumous baptisms.

'Nuff said.Blink

Skip to 3:56 for unbaptism ceremony

[+] 1 user Likes RogueWarrior's post
29-11-2014, 01:37 PM
At first glance I honestly thought the thread title was 'morons'.
Carry on.
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post