Mormons quit church in mass ceremony

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Mormons quit church in mass ceremony
Things may be getting better in my area.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/544090...csp?page=1

"It’s just all man-made. It’s very disappointing."

No. Shit.

I don't really understand the ceremony, symbolism maybe?

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2012, 02:13 PM
RE: Mormons quit church in mass ceremony
(02-07-2012 02:07 PM)Spivey May Wrote:  "It’s just all man-made. It’s very disappointing."
I'd be happy if more theists would reach this conclusion. Weeping
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
02-07-2012, 02:32 PM
I noticed many of the comments following the article had maybe only one plea for secular tolerance. Crazy.

The fallout from this action might only be a lateral move to another delusion, rather than an open door to a healthy perspective. However, once a question has been pondered ... it's difficult not to apply the same question, thereafter. Yes

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
06-07-2012, 04:58 AM
It must be hard to live your life as a Mormon, or any other religion for that matter, often for many decades and then realise it was little more than a con job.
I often wonder if many people cling to the dogma even though they no longer believe just so they don’t have to face up to the fact they have been “had” by an organisation that they have no recourse against.
Never too early to give it up though, there must be a breaking point when you just say “fuck this” and chuck it in.
I hope most of those who left stay out of other churches, with a big enough number they will have a built in support group and that’ll help.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Karl's post
19-07-2012, 12:13 PM
(06-07-2012 04:58 AM)Karl Wrote:  It must be hard to live your life as a Mormon, or any other religion for that matter, often for many decades and then realise it was little more than a con job.
I often wonder if many people cling to the dogma even though they no longer believe just so they don’t have to face up to the fact they have been “had” by an organisation that they have no recourse against.
Never too early to give it up though, there must be a breaking point when you just say “fuck this” and chuck it in.
I hope most of those who left stay out of other churches, with a big enough number they will have a built in support group and that’ll help.
I would have to assume that those that still call themselves Mormon but don't follow all the rules would almost have to be those that are typically called Jack Mormons. I could entirely be wrong. :'D

I'm awful glad to see people separate from their churches, though. I don't understand how it's heartbreaking, though, I didn't believe in the Christian doctrines and dogmas when I was a kid (so I guess I wouldn't be able to understand), despite believing in Santa (WHAT?! Grandpa chased him off the roof, so he MUST be real. And I was four years old...)

And to see LDS people FROM SALT LAKE CITY, MORMONLAND leaving is pretty amazing. Especially when I have a (Mormon) coworker who actually believes people lived for hundreds of years. D:

I doodle.
A lot.
My humor can also be very perverse, so forgive me if I make sexy fart jokes. :'D
20-07-2012, 06:56 AM
(19-07-2012 12:13 PM)Chaos Requiem Wrote:  I would have to assume that those that still call themselves Mormon but don't follow all the rules would almost have to be those that are typically called Jack Mormons. I could entirely be wrong. :'D

I'm awful glad to see people separate from their churches, though. I don't understand how it's heartbreaking, though, I didn't believe in the Christian doctrines and dogmas when I was a kid (so I guess I wouldn't be able to understand), despite believing in Santa (WHAT?! Grandpa chased him off the roof, so he MUST be real. And I was four years old...)

And to see LDS people FROM SALT LAKE CITY, MORMONLAND leaving is pretty amazing. Especially when I have a (Mormon) coworker who actually believes people lived for hundreds of years. D:
It is social suicide for someone to leave the LDS church, especially if family and friends are also members. So much of what mormans do, they only do with other morman friends or family. To leave the religion is also giving up these friends and family.

As with any religion, the LDS church is also very good at making it difficult for people to leave. Show up a few for a few weeks and they will give you a "calling", which is basically free labor for them. I have known people who want to leave, but don't because they feel like they need to stay for their calling. Their excuse; If I don't do it, it will get dumped on someone else.

20-07-2012, 07:10 AM
(06-07-2012 04:58 AM)Karl Wrote:  It must be hard to live your life as a Mormon, or any other religion for that matter, often for many decades and then realise it was little more than a con job.
Totally. Most ex Jehovha's Witness sites I'd been to for support were mainly still Christian. And we got to drink caffeine and wear non-magical underwear. I don't know how the Mormons do without a good coffee break during their preaching. Blink

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
22-07-2012, 03:33 AM
(20-07-2012 06:56 AM)Spivey May Wrote:  
(19-07-2012 12:13 PM)Chaos Requiem Wrote:  I would have to assume that those that still call themselves Mormon but don't follow all the rules would almost have to be those that are typically called Jack Mormons. I could entirely be wrong. :'D

It is social suicide for someone to leave the LDS church, especially if family and friends are also members. So much of what mormans do, they only do with other morman friends or family. To leave the religion is also giving up these friends and family.

As with any religion, the LDS church is also very good at making it difficult for people to leave. Show up a few for a few weeks and they will give you a "calling", which is basically free labor for them. I have known people who want to leave, but don't because they feel like they need to stay for their calling. Their excuse; If I don't do it, it will get dumped on someone else.
Oh, I know it's social suicide for them. I live in Salt Lake, and I've seen some of them either whisper atheist when they hear disbelievers or they'll openly say they're Mormon, but will drink alcohol and coffee, and swear. It's kind of surreal.

To me the non-theist community here is very sparse (or they gather when I work *shakes fist*) I personally grew up Lutheran, although I can't recall ever doing more than -trying- to believe in "God", which is why I don't understand why people fear social suicide. If people can't like you for who you are then they can take a flying leap in my opinion. But I can say that as an introvert who has friends all over the country world because I'm typically fun to talk to and be around and don't really make religion an issue.

Y'know, someone in the comments section of the article posted actually said that a commenter stating that LDS are encouraged to disassociate/divorce someone who strays a liar. The sad part is, I know the person wasn't lying, I know they do it, and I've seen it. I've also seen that mean side of religious people. It's kinda sad, really. :/ But I'm a nice guy, so to me disliking someone because they don't share one facet of your life, like religion, is like disliking me for liking the color turquoise. People: they make little sense to me sometimes.

@cheapthrillseaker
Quote: Totally. Most ex Jehovha's Witness sites I'd been to for support were
mainly still Christian. And we got to drink caffeine and wear
non-magical underwear. I don't know how the Mormons do without a good
coffee break during their preaching. [Image: blink.gif]
Coke. They are obsessed with Coca Cola. That's okay, it leaves more coffee for me and my coworker. :'D Mmmm...free coffee!

I doodle.
A lot.
My humor can also be very perverse, so forgive me if I make sexy fart jokes. :'D
23-07-2012, 10:09 AM
(22-07-2012 03:33 AM)Chaos Requiem Wrote:  I live in Salt Lake
Wow, another Utahn? I'm not alone.

(22-07-2012 03:33 AM)Chaos Requiem Wrote:  To me the non-theist community here is very sparse (or they gather when I work *shakes fist*) I personally grew up Lutheran, although I can't recall ever doing more than -trying- to believe in "God", which is why I don't understand why people fear social suicide. If people can't like you for who you are then they can take a flying leap in my opinion. But I can say that as an introvert who has friends all over the country world because I'm typically fun to talk to and be around and don't really make religion an issue.

Y'know, someone in the comments section of the article posted actually said that a commenter stating that LDS are encouraged to disassociate/divorce someone who strays a liar. The sad part is, I know the person wasn't lying, I know they do it, and I've seen it. I've also seen that mean side of religious people. It's kinda sad, really. :/ But I'm a nice guy, so to me disliking someone because they don't share one facet of your life, like religion, is like disliking me for liking the color turquoise. People: they make little sense to me sometimes.
Similar story here. Didn't grow up with any kind of religion, instead our parents let us choose which church we wanted to go to for that week, most of the time we didn't go. I grew up with the idea that the bible stories were just that, stories. Even with that, I can see how others would have a hard time leaving. If everyone you associate with and all your family are members, you would have to completely give up your life. Imagine if you had kids (maybe you do, I don't know), they would likely loose all their friends too. Just playing devils advocate. I agree with you, it would be a big step to take, but you have to be comfortable in your own skin.

A friend of mine just lost all contact with her in-laws. She is not welcome in their home and neither are her kids. These people were willing to give up their only daughter-in-law and grandkids, because their she is not LDS. I can see that this is for the best, but how difficult for these kids.

23-07-2012, 11:36 AM
(23-07-2012 10:09 AM)Spivey May Wrote:  
(22-07-2012 03:33 AM)Chaos Requiem Wrote:  I live in Salt Lake
Wow, another Utahn? I'm not alone.

(22-07-2012 03:33 AM)Chaos Requiem Wrote:  To me the non-theist community here is very sparse (or they gather when I work *shakes fist*) I personally grew up Lutheran, although I can't recall ever doing more than -trying- to believe in "God", which is why I don't understand why people fear social suicide. If people can't like you for who you are then they can take a flying leap in my opinion. But I can say that as an introvert who has friends all over the country world because I'm typically fun to talk to and be around and don't really make religion an issue.

Similar story here. Didn't grow up with any kind of religion, instead our parents let us choose which church we wanted to go to for that week, most of the time we didn't go. I grew up with the idea that the bible stories were just that, stories. Even with that, I can see how others would have a hard time leaving. If everyone you associate with and all your family are members, you would have to completely give up your life. Imagine if you had kids (maybe you do, I don't know), they would likely loose all their friends too. Just playing devils advocate. I agree with you, it would be a big step to take, but you have to be comfortable in your own skin.

A friend of mine just lost all contact with her in-laws. She is not welcome in their home and neither are her kids. These people were willing to give up their only daughter-in-law and grandkids, because their she is not LDS. I can see that this is for the best, but how difficult for these kids.
We're here for now. We're supposed to flee to the Seattle area in a few months. :'D Occceeaaaannnnn~!

And yeah, I can see that, but it's sad. I have plenty of Christian friends and family, then I have some who are...I guess agnostic? Their usual quip is "If this god guy exists, then he's a fucking asshole." <=== My eldest uncle said this because his mom (my grandma, obviously) got Alzheimer's and died and she was the nicest lady I'd ever met.

I never understood religious people and their black-labeling of people, even when I was a kid. Maybe it's just because I was that quiet kid with hand-me-down clothes that was picked on, but I didn't like seeing other people picked on, either and to me that's what it is, it's bullying. "Oh, you don't wanna be in our club? Then you and your family can't talk to us anymore. *snooty upturned nose*" Seems super snobbish in my opinion, and if that's how a religion wants to be then I don't wanna be their friend, either. Just sucks when you throw kids into the mix (mine are all four legged and furry, so they wouldn't be able to
care less. Tongue) because when they're young, they don't understand, all they know is that "grandma and grandpa hate mommy/daddy so they hate me, too." To me, to do that to a child, makes them horrible people. If you have a problem with your child/their spouse, fine have the problem with them, but don't take it out on your grandkids. Your friend's in-laws are in the wrong, and I hope your friend still has her parents to be grandparents to the kids, so at least they'll have that love.

I actually grew up Lutheran, (I grew up in Wisconsin) but we didn't go to church much. So, it's not like it was this huge thing in my home, probably because my mother and her brothers were indoctrinated into Catholicism and she hated it. She recently came out as being a non-believer last month.

EDIT: I dunno what happened, but it wouldn't let me post, and when it did, my text was all afjadladj;laksdjfadk, so I fixed it. :'D

I doodle.
A lot.