Mormons

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2014, 02:40 PM
RE: Mormons
(29-11-2014 04:44 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(29-11-2014 04:41 PM)pablo Wrote:  I think Scientology costs more $.

I don't know - how much do multiple wives and scores of children cost these days?

Not to mention 10% of your paycheck every week
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2014, 02:57 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2014 03:24 PM by Mr. Boston.)
It's really not much wackier than most mainstream religions. Or that is to say, it only got to such dizzying heights of ridiculousness by standing atop a mound of established batshit lunacy that society has somehow deemed respectable. I mean if you can accept that a Jewish zombie can magically grant you everlasting life, but roundly reject the idea that the same zombie could have visited America there's a huge irony you're failing to notice.
01-12-2014, 03:00 PM
If anyone is looking for any issues with Mormon beliefs besides the obvious ones, Google "Letter to a CES Director". It was written by a Mormon who wasn't trying to debunk his faith but, just had a lot of concerning questions. After no one could answer his questions and the only response he got back from the church was "this is a really well written letter" he left the church.

I was raised in a Mormon family. I came across this letter and conned my father into reading it. He couldn't dispute any of it but, told me there's nothing that can change his beliefs because he has personally felt the Lord's love and he has had 4 out of body experiences and other spiritual experiences.

Since having him read the letter a few months ago, every time we talk over the phone his voice tone has changed and it sounds like he thinks his religion won't be around to much longer with info debunking it. I always found it strange that he became a Mormon since his mother and uncle were scientists. His mother was one of the first woman geologists to work in the Arctic Circle. Guess it skipped a generation.
01-12-2014, 05:46 PM
(01-12-2014 12:24 AM)freetoreason Wrote:  Thanks for pointing out the unabashed arrogance of Mormonism.

Always a necessary pleasure, although they usually do it for me.

(01-12-2014 12:24 AM)freetoreason Wrote:  Some of the men are unbearable. What amazes me is that often in job interviews they'll sneak in something that makes it apparent they are Mormon, and have been on a mission, as though that is a selling point.

Within the male dominated structure of the "Priesthood" there is an ongoing culture of instruction on this subject. Young men are encouraged to display their missions as though they were a form of credential. The result is a generation of Mormons who are largely unaware of how unpopular their faith is in the United States and what a laughing stock it has been in the media for years.

(01-12-2014 12:24 AM)freetoreason Wrote:  I'll admit something I shouldn't, but when I get a resume with BYU on it it's impossible for me to view it neutrally.

I should certainly hope not.

(01-12-2014 12:24 AM)freetoreason Wrote:  My biggest beef with it is the treatment of its women. Go to BYU, meet some arrogant boring sexually repressed fanatic, and spend the rest of your life playing Susie homemaker to him and your seven kids so that he might admit you to his kingdom in the next life. This thing needs to be eradicated.

If you were to go to BYU you would discover not just the culture of arrogance and repression you would expect, but one that thrives on hypocrisy and violating the rules. Time and time again I learn that friends of mine who attend the University have been caught having sex or experimenting with drugs and alcohol while simultaneously and sometimes even ostentatiously keeping the superficial aspects of their faith. The women involved in these scandals and those in the church as a whole collude with the men in this patriarchal abuse and hypocrisy by taking upon themselves, sometimes explicitly, the responsibility of keeping the men free of sexual sins. This is the shamefaced origin of the modesty obsession that is so sloppily crammed down the throats of the up and coming generation of Mormon women. It is founded upon one major lie, that the visual pleasure and natural consequences of it as experienced by men are a sin for which the women themselves are to blame. In other words, cover up ladies, or the damnation of the men you love is assured at your hands.

Theologically the church cannot divorce itself from sexism without admitting that the superficial gender roles of the last one to two hundred years in America are not reflections of our divine creation, as is still being preached around the world. Women of the church are mocked every time they are held up as idols of childbearing and homemaking potential rather than considered as a useful part of every aspect of society. This has forever been the Monty Python justification for the male monopoly on Priesthood authority, that women are simply the most important or "sacred" individuals, since they are graced with the gift of childbirth. The same frail argument is employed when asked to account for belief in a heavenly mother, or a wife for god. She is allegedly too sacred for the slightest mention at all.

Of course, culture is more powerful than religious dogma most of the time, so things are changing in Mormonism in practical terms. This new generation has not been successfully indoctrinated since we cannot be shielded from information as it was once possible to do. The internet alone is a massive erosive force. I for one have no patience for the cowardly shuffling taking place when this new generation is questioned on these doctrinal matters. They have said too much about it and too often for us not to notice them slowly slinking under the cover of modern feminist equality and making believe that god wanted it this way after all. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the future the church were to issue a "revelation" either granting women some rights or full rights. In this way they will continue to make a laughing stock out of their blundering oaf of a god who can't seem to get things right morally speaking the first time. They can add it to their already grand tradition of polygamy and racism.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx