Poll: Are you a morning person or night owl?
Morning Person
Night Owl
Neither
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Morning Person or Night Owl

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2016, 03:31 PM
RE: Morning Person or Night Owl

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
26-01-2016, 03:34 PM
I just go to bed when tired and when I wake up, I get up.

In winter that can get weird, I go to bed very early (couple hours after dark) and am up like at 2 am. Even in summer I always get up early enough to sit outside with some coffee and watch the sun rise.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
26-01-2016, 03:37 PM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2016 03:41 PM by Adrianime.)
(26-01-2016 03:27 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I usually go to bed at midnight, sometimes 1 am, but I could certainly stay up later if I had zero responsibilities. I'm usually up by 5 AM, but I set my alarm for 4:30 and snooze til 4:45, then just stay in bed til 5 because I need to just kind of "be" before I have to hop out of bed. I throw on my yoga pants/top...then take my dogs go out for a walk, fed, I get my cat fed and a clean catbox, fresh water for all my animals (honestly, I don't know how Noah did it Hobo .)

Next, I make coffee, hop on TTA. Then off to yoga class/ then to Peet's to get what I consider a *proper* coffee. Then home, shower, ready for work, then work. But I am soooo tired in the mornings because I am up way too late at night and get up way too early. So I really wnat to work on fixing my sleep habits. Hobo
Yeahhhh, 4-5 hours of sleep leaves me feeling like I'm a terrible human being. I swear it even affects me emotionally haha.

I've figured out that for me, if I don't get at least 7 hours of sleep there is something wrong with how I feel. Even 6 hours and 45 minutes will leave me with like dry eyes or something. Less than 6 hours of sleep and I'm moody and my problem solving skills drop. Less than 5 hours of sleep and I feel like a different person.
I end up usually getting like 6.5 hours of sleep so unfortunately I very rarely feel the best. But I usually feel pretty good, but with dry eyes. Even on weekends with no alarm my body tends to wake up around 6.5 hours of sleep which really bugs me cuz I can almost never get back to sleep once I'm awake.

You need to get more sleep! If I had to wake up at 5, I would try to fall asleep by 10, which means I would try to get into bed by 9. My body probably wouldn't allow me to sleep that early, so I would need to do things I know help me sleep...like exercise that day and eat well that night.

For reference, My alarm rings at 7:10 AM ish and I usually am asleep before 1 AM.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
26-01-2016, 03:45 PM
I don't know, Adrianime. Some people can get by. One of my family members is a business owner and she's up late and wakes up at 5 in the morning. Type A personality 100%. Apparently pro basketball legend/future hall of famer (set to retire at the end of the season) Kobe Bryant only gets 4 hours of sleep; I remember him saying in an interview a long time ago that any more sleep makes him feel sluggish. I always hope for at least 6!
26-01-2016, 03:57 PM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2016 04:05 PM by Adrianime.)
Oh and some tips on falling asleep that have helped me are:

1. Temperature control. Mainly if I'm too hot I can't sleep. I've used damp clothes, damp shirts, heck I've even put my pillow in the freezer and mad ice packs out of ziplock bags. Another trick is to stick your foot out from the blanket, or keeping your hands out from the blanket.

2. hydration. This can also help cool you down. But being hydrated just makes your body feel better in general, which helps me sleep at least. Same with being well fed. Going to bed hungry can be difficult.

3. Exercise: I find that I can fall asleep easier on days that I've used my body.

4. Light control. I had an issue for a while with light waking me up in the morning. Getting good curtains that block the light, or using a mask (I've even tied a T-shirt around my head) can be helpful.

5. Routine. Probably the most important thing for me has been to habitually sleep and wake up around the same time most days. Also, having your own set of night time rituals to switch to sleeping mode helps.

6. Everyone knows this one, but don't lounge in your bed. I use my couches and recliners for relaxation. I neverrrr relax in bed unless I havn't got up for the day or I am planning on falling asleep. Basically between 10AM and 10PM the bed does not get touched.

7. Goes with 6, but not using electronics in bed is recommended, but I've been doing it my whole life. I've found not lounging in bed to be more important. Still to this day, part of my routine before I sleep is an episode or two of anime.

8. Have sex. Thumbsup

Hope it helps somebody Smile.

[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
26-01-2016, 03:58 PM
(26-01-2016 03:45 PM)UndauntedToast Wrote:  I don't know, Adrianime. Some people can get by. One of my family members is a business owner and she's up late and wakes up at 5 in the morning. Type A personality 100%. Apparently pro basketball legend/future hall of famer (set to retire at the end of the season) Kobe Bryant only gets 4 hours of sleep; I remember him saying in an interview a long time ago that any more sleep makes him feel sluggish. I always hope for at least 6!
Actually less than a week ago my friend and I were talking about people who don't require much or any sleep to function and they get by just fine. I think we were discussing the movie inception Tongue. But yeah those people exist. It's a condition!

[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
26-01-2016, 04:00 PM
I'm a morning person, no question about it. By about 10 pm I'm so sleepy I can hardly keep my eyes open. But in the morning I'm fresh as a daisy.

What the hell, I'll let 19 year old Debbie Reynolds say it for me....

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
26-01-2016, 04:01 PM
(26-01-2016 04:00 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I'm a morning person, no question about it. By about 10 pm I'm so sleepy I can hardly keep my eyes open. But in the morning I'm fresh as a daisy.

What the hell, I'll let 19 year old Debbie Reynolds say it for me....

I sing a-lot in daily life. I asked my girl the other day if she ever thought she would be with somebody who turns life into a musical Tongue (to which she replied she never thought about it haha). But anyways, "Good morning" is one of my most sung songs. Big Grin

26-01-2016, 04:25 PM
I don't ever feel like I've had enough sleep, and part of that is because I don't sleep well -- I wake up periodically during the night. I did a sleep study a few years ago, and they didn't really find anything (no apnea or anything like that) -- just that I "wake up a lot" for no apparent reason.

Despite that, I'm usually up pretty early in the morning. Even though I sleep with a light on, sunrise usually wakes me up! Even in winter, I'm awake by 5 or 6 AM -- and this is pretty much regardless of when I went to bed. Some days it's a struggle to get up and get going, but I can't get back to sleep either. As for coffee, that's an acquired taste that I never acquired -- I can't drink the stuff at all.

In the evening, I'm usually in bed by 8:30 or 9 PM. If I stay up later than that, I just don't get enough sleep, and I suffer for it the next day.

So I guess I'm a morning person.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
26-01-2016, 05:02 PM
(26-01-2016 03:57 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Oh and some tips on falling asleep that have helped me are:

1. Temperature control. Mainly if I'm too hot I can't sleep. I've used damp clothes, damp shirts, heck I've even put my pillow in the freezer and mad ice packs out of ziplock bags. Another trick is to stick your foot out from the blanket, or keeping your hands out from the blanket.

2. hydration. This can also help cool you down. But being hydrated just makes your body feel better in general, which helps me sleep at least. Same with being well fed. Going to bed hungry can be difficult.

3. Exercise: I find that I can fall asleep easier on days that I've used my body.

4. Light control. I had an issue for a while with light waking me up in the morning. Getting good curtains that block the light, or using a mask (I've even tied a T-shirt around my head) can be helpful.

5. Routine. Probably the most important thing for me has been to habitually sleep and wake up around the same time most days. Also, having your own set of night time rituals to switch to sleeping mode helps.

6. Everyone knows this one, but don't lounge in your bed. I use my couches and recliners for relaxation. I neverrrr relax in bed unless I havn't got up for the day or I am planning on falling asleep. Basically between 10AM and 10PM the bed does not get touched.

7. Goes with 6, but not using electronics in bed is recommended, but I've been doing it my whole life. I've found not lounging in bed to be more important. Still to this day, part of my routine before I sleep is an episode or two of anime.

8. Have sex. Thumbsup

Hope it helps somebody Smile.

Sex wakes a lot of women up. Men go right off to sleep but some women can't sleep, get up and prepare for the next days work, looking over reports and appointments. Yes, women get up after sex, after the guy is totally asleep and take a shower, do the laundry, organize stuff, feed the cat and generally pitter-patter around doing this and that until they finally get sleepy. Men don't know this is going on but women get a lot of stuff done after sex.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post