Morrowind

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2012, 05:15 AM
RE: Morrowind
I loved Morrowind far more than I care for Oblivion and Skyrim. There is one CRUCIAL thing they failed to do in Skyrim and Oblivion... In Skyrim you can become the Archmage, leader of Mage Guild, yet you do not need to have a single spell or a single skill point spent in magic. In Morrowind you need to have certain skills at certain levels for going up the rakns in Mage Guild (or Fighters, or Thieves...). So to be a Guild Master of Mages Guild in Morrowind you needed to play a mage, you could not be a fighter with just some magic skills, you really needed to spend time pushing the skills you needed.

There are many other similar things, that have made Oblivion and Skyrim games for children and making money, they have clearly aimed at the larger consumers group so that they can sell the game to everyone.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Filox's post
28-03-2012, 10:03 PM
(28-03-2012 05:15 AM)Filox Wrote:  I loved Morrowind far more than I care for Oblivion and Skyrim. There is one CRUCIAL thing they failed to do in Skyrim and Oblivion... In Skyrim you can become the Archmage, leader of Mage Guild, yet you do not need to have a single spell or a single skill point spent in magic. In Morrowind you need to have certain skills at certain levels for going up the rakns in Mage Guild (or Fighters, or Thieves...). So to be a Guild Master of Mages Guild in Morrowind you needed to play a mage, you could not be a fighter with just some magic skills, you really needed to spend time pushing the skills you needed.

There are many other similar things, that have made Oblivion and Skyrim games for children and making money, they have clearly aimed at the larger consumers group so that they can sell the game to everyone.
I often tried evening out my classes in Morrowind as best as I could, it was tough though, I remember dying quite a few times in Morrowind as compared to Oblivion and Skyrim. (I learned some really newbie tactics in order to survive in Morrowind) The Mages Guild for Skyrim and the Companions... erg... God that was just.... terrible... Needless to say I did not end up going very far in either, not to mention the state which the empire was in truly made it a sad sight to behold. I mean after all the effort we put into saving it in Oblivion (and morrowind a bit) it has now become a smouldering pile of Altmer?! Morrowind might not have had the best graphics, but the gameplay was truly awesome.
[+] 2 users Like TheArcticSage's post
29-03-2012, 01:34 AM
I started with Morrowind on Xbox, loading times were hell but the game was bigger and more extensive than I had ever seen before. I was amazed.
Then I played Oblivion. I was genuinely disappointed. It was boring,
the story was generic,
the characters had nothing surprising
and it was too easy.

Now I'm playing Skyrim.
Skyrim is doing a lot of things right that Oblivion did wrong. It has a far more gripping story,
You really have to choose factions and loyalty.
The missions aren't as straightforward as previous games (go here, kill that, get promoted).
The characters have been developed far further and have some appeal. (Cicero, while freaky, really shows they dare to take some chances)
The characteranimations have vastly improved, they don't always stand in front of you with a dead stare.
The dragons and the dragonlanguage introduce some fantasy that this series was severely lacking as of late.
The levelingsystem is vastly improved.
All in all, I think that though there have been a lot of cuts to extra options, Skyrim is probably the best an Elder Scrolls game can be.

Ps.
Nice little detail, Skyrim put me in the hospital once. I had an epileptic seizure while playing. That was a first! And still I'm defending it.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
29-03-2012, 02:52 AM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2012 02:59 AM by Filox.)
Yeah, about the story in Skyrim... To hell with them and their story. I (as always) were a part of the Dark Brotherhood and as such, I had killed the Emperor. Do you know what happened on a grand scale after that? Absolutely nothing. I killed a bloody Emperor, how did that not change EVERYTHING in the story line?

Also, they made everything more simple, so they have taken out the Strength, Dexterity, Speed, etc. attributes, they left only skills. This changed a lot of things, as compared to previous games. Also, for me, the levelling was the best in Morrowind, although it still kept the same basic concept, no XP, just using your skills. That is the best levelling option of all games, the most "realistic" one.

Then there are cities and no city can compare to the Vivec from Morrowind. You could loose a few months only by going around that HUGE city, plus it had that crazy "moon" hovering above it.

And what Oblivion and Skyrim needed most is the spells from Morrowind, the most important one being LEVITATE. If that spell exists in the Elder Scrolls world, then how the hell could they change that? That spell IS in that world, so it must be in both games as well.

My conclusion would be that they should have combined all 3 games into one, keep the basics of Morrowind and implement new graphic engine from Skyrim, then do some small (not major) changes in spells, attributes, skills... What they are doing is moving away from Morrowind with every new game and I hate that, why can't they build new games on top of old ones?

P.S.

Are you people crazy as I am, meaning, do you decorate your houses with cool armors and weapons? Smile I spent hours and hours in every game to have all the sets of everything all sorted out nice. Skyrim had that part coverd perfectly with mannequins and those weapon racks. In Morrowind I killed one guy, took over his house, took EVERY item from that house and threw it away somewhere and then I filled the tables with my equipment... It was such fun. Oblivion had nice things like Frostcrag Spire, Pirates Cove and Vampire hideout. That was the only thing Morrowind didn't have.

-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
29-03-2012, 03:24 AM
Yeah, you killed the emperor of Tamriel, the entire story ofcourse is that Skyrim is seceeding from Tamriel.
Ok, murdering the emperor should have as logical consequence that the Empire would send in more forces, but they are already spent thin due to the other active conflicts with the Aldmer etc.
I agree it's an oversight, but I guess you'd have to draw a line.
Or you can say it takes time for word to rech the empire and build an army, by which time the game is over.

Also, I completely agree on Vivec and levitate.
But I must disagree on the skill and levelingsystem, though if it's better or worse is relative, it should change per game to try out new things, or it would just be an expansion pack.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
29-03-2012, 03:52 AM
Filox, how about the fact that you can put on Forsworn armour and then wander around town and nobody looks twice. I'd be willing to overlook it if it was Thieves Guild or Dark Brotherhood armour (maybe they don't know what it looks like), but Forsworn armour is pretty obvious.

It seems to me that they now focus on secondary things (eye-candy) and dumb down the rpg elements to appeal to a wider audience. They think that people don't want a complicated inventory or character sheet. They want to walk from point a to point b, kill monsters, and come back and collect a reward.

The problem is these games are selling more than the better old ones, so the company has no reason to keep making good games.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 1 user Likes Smooshmonster's post
29-03-2012, 04:22 AM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2012 04:25 AM by Filox.)
The main reason the games are selling more today, than in the time of Morrowind is primary because more people have a computer today than they had computers 10 years ago. But, yes, they are dumbing the games down, so that more people will play them, so they do not go for the quality, they go for the quantity. Nice graphics and eye-candies are the perfect example, not useful, only nice.

Never thought about the armors, but it does make perfect sense, just like in Fallout, when you would put on an armor of some fraction, you would become a member of that fraction, in a way that people who do not like them, would atack you on sight.

-Hunter S. Thompson
29-03-2012, 09:47 PM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2012 09:51 PM by TheArcticSage.)
Someone created a levitate mod for Oblivion. There's a mod for the Black Marsh region for Oblivion (and Skyrim), there's a mod for morrowind for Oblivion, there's a mod for Hammerfell for Oblivion, There's a mod for Elsywer for Oblivion, there appears to be a mod for Valenwood as well, The only thing I don't think they have a mod for is high rock. And I simply don't know if there is one for Skyrim or the Shimmering Isles.

I also know there was an attempt for the Morrowind game to make all the provinces in one playable mod, however I don't know if it succeeded or not Huh
30-03-2012, 02:22 AM
Nice, so I need just a few mods and than maybe, just maybe the game wont suck anymore? Great, I think I'll give it a go...

Big Grin

-Hunter S. Thompson