Moses used the wind!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2010, 03:49 AM
RE: Moses used the wind!
(22-09-2010 04:40 AM)2buckchuck Wrote:  The lengths to which people are willing to go to rationalize biblical mythology is both amazing and pointless.

You forgot stupid and IDiotic.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2010, 04:36 AM

(23-09-2010 03:49 AM)No J. Wrote:  
(22-09-2010 04:40 AM)2buckchuck Wrote:  The lengths to which people are willing to go to rationalize biblical mythology is both amazing and pointless.

You forgot stupid and IDiotic.

not to mention confusuing and derimental to society
Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2010, 05:25 AM

One of the reasons why I find such rationalizing to be pointless is that believers are supposed to believe the sacred texts on faith alone. Why attempt to construct a rational argument to support an irrational belief? It seems contradictory to me. When Barley says he believes literally in the bible (however strange that is to me), he's being consistent with what the bible is saying - if you take the deity and everything in the sacred text on faith alone (the faith of a small child) then that's the best possible believer position. Trying to rationalize is just inconsistent with the notion that irrational, blind, unquestioning faith is the recommended path for believers. In a strange way, I respect the faith-based literal interpretation of the sacred texts more than I do the rationalizing by moderates - at least it's logically consistent. Such a believer says ... "I don't have to explain the bible (or whatever) in a logical, rational way. I just believe in its truth and disagree with anyone who doesn't."
23-09-2010, 05:27 AM

(23-09-2010 05:25 AM)2buckchuck Wrote:  One of the reasons why I find such rationalizing to be pointless is that believers are supposed to believe the sacred texts on faith alone. Why attempt to construct a rational argument to support an irrational belief? It seems contradictory to me. When Barley says he believes literally in the bible (however strange that is to me), he's being consistent with what the bible is saying - if you take the deity and everything in the sacred text on faith alone (the faith of a small child) then that's the best possible believer position. Trying to rationalize is just inconsistent with the notion that irrational, blind, unquestioning faith is the recommended path for believers. In a strange way, I respect the faith-based literal interpretation of the sacred texts more than I do the rationalizing by moderates.

I made a similar comment on a different thread, about respecting fundamentalists. At least they stick to their beliefs.
23-09-2010, 07:50 PM
I've made the same point myself here in the past. I much better understand fundamentalist in religion then the moderates who try to rationalize their beliefs with modern society.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this is a case of great minds thinking alike or just a case of us agreeing.

I leave that to the philosophers to ponder.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
24-09-2010, 12:24 AM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2010 12:27 AM by No J..)
I don't respect either group. I see fundimentalist reasoning as insane or borderline insane and moderate reasoning as just plain stupid, because if they can reason, they should know better.

Sticking to your guns because you believe something is one of mankinds biggest downfalls. Stick to your guns when you know something.

Take the time and energy to learn if your beliefs are factual before you stand up for them.
24-09-2010, 01:41 AM

I may respect fundamentalists more than moderates ... but ... I have no respect for the religions they espouse, in either case.