Mosque Attacked in Canada - 6 dead, 17 wounded

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2017, 09:27 AM
Mosque Attacked in Canada - 6 dead, 17 wounded
Mosque Shooting in Quebec City Leaves 6 Dead, 17 Wounded

Canada's prime minister condemned what he called a "terrorist attack on Muslims" after gunmen shot dead six people at a mosque in Quebec City on Sunday night.

Two suspects aged in their late 20s or early 30s were arrested after the shooting, police said.

One of the suspects was apprehended at the at the Quebec City Islamic Cultural Center, where the shooting took place, and the other after calling 911 and telling police he was armed and ready to turn himself in, officials told a press conference on Monday morning.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/multip...da-n713976

Remember, folks: Christianity is a "religion of Peace". Sad

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2017, 09:37 AM
RE: Mosque Attacked in Canada - 6 dead, 17 wounded
(30-01-2017 09:27 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Remember, folks: Christianity is a "religion of Peace". Sad

I recognize the point you are making and it's a valid one in general, but in all fairness do we know that these gunmen were Christians?

Regardless, this is just as tragic and awful as when it happens any place else. And it's a bit surprising to hear about in Canada. Sad

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
30-01-2017, 09:42 AM
I feel I should be more clear. We don't know for sure that the attackers were Christians, and it doesn't actually matter if they were or not. It has no bearing on other practicioners of the religion, just as Stalin's actions don't have anything to do with my atheism. My parting "religion of Peace" comment was meant only to highlight how silly a statement it is when bigots point to the violence of Middle Eastern Wahabists and try to compare it to Westernized, everyday Muslims.

I am actually encouraged by the response of both the Premier of Quebec, Phillippe Couillard, and of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, in the wake of this attack:

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
30-01-2017, 09:43 AM
(30-01-2017 09:37 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(30-01-2017 09:27 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Remember, folks: Christianity is a "religion of Peace". Sad

I recognize the point you are making and it's a valid one in general, but in all fairness do we know that these gunmen were Christians?

Regardless, this is just as tragic and awful as when it happens any place else. And it's a bit surprising to hear about in Canada. Sad

No, we don't. It was a presumption and a tongue-in-cheek comment, as I typed above.

Was just pissed off to see people attacked at prayer by someone who didn't like them for their label. Again.

[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
30-01-2017, 09:54 AM
Reports are showing that one of the gunmen shouted "Allah Ackbar" when the opened fire. The names of the suspects are Mohamed Khadir and Alexandre Bissonnette. One of them is of Moroccan origin. That's all the info so far that I can find!

"My nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight." - Marcus Luttrell
30-01-2017, 10:15 AM
(30-01-2017 09:43 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  No, we don't. It was a presumption and a tongue-in-cheek comment, as I typed above.

Was just pissed off to see people attacked at prayer by someone who didn't like them for their label. Again.

I figured as much which is why I said I recognize your point, but I wanted to make sure that anyone quickly reading didn't go away thinking these were definitely Christians.

I agree with the sentiment though. It's horrible that these people, many of whom came to North America fleeing from that crap, get arbitrarily targeted.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
30-01-2017, 10:25 AM
If.....IF ... this was Muslim extremists that did this, it points to all religious extremists, whether Hindu, Christian, Buddhist or Pagan, as being a plague on the world. It seems we in the US are now living under the extreme Christian right and it's not fun so far.

I don't mind middle of the road religious believers. I don't care what they believe as long as they keep it to themselves and don't make their beliefs part of public policy. It's when they pick of a gun, or worse yet, a nation's flag and claim sole ownership of that flag for their beliefs that bigger problems happen.

Rant over......well for a couple of hours anyway.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
30-01-2017, 10:45 AM
No comment yet from the crackpot at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW because they are still trying to figure out how fit Monsieur Alexandre Bissonnette into their menu of anti-Muslim hatred.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
30-01-2017, 10:47 AM
The totally unsubstantiated rumour I'm hearing at the moment from an Iraqi friend of mine in Quebec City is that the two were kicked out of the mosque for being gay.

'Murican Canadian
30-01-2017, 10:57 AM
So all the stuff we heard yesterday about this most likely being white christians motivated by Trump and anti-muslim hatred turns out to be untrue?

Excuse me. I have to go delete about 37 people from Facebook.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]