Mosque Attacked in Canada - 6 dead, 17 wounded

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2017, 03:36 AM
RE: Mosque Attacked in Canada - 6 dead, 17 wounded
(31-01-2017 08:26 PM)SYZ Wrote:  ConfusedI took the time to gather together the number of civilian deaths and injuries, globally, caused by extremist Muslim attacks since 1979—the year official records were begun.

Total deaths number 14,356.
Estimated total injuries number 35,000.

These figures were recorded/retrieved by government authorities, peace-keeping organisations, and aid agencies such as the Red Cross, Oxfam, and UNHCR etc.

And bear in mind that the figures do not include military combatant deaths or any civilians killed since 22 July 2015 (no confirmed records yet).

I don't believe those numbers. They seem too low. I need to see the sources. This is almost like a few months worth of killings by Boko Haram alone in a ho-hum year.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like tomilay's post
01-02-2017, 12:35 PM
(31-01-2017 08:26 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I took the time to gather together the number of civilian deaths and injuries, globally, caused by extremist Muslim attacks since 1979—the year official records were begun.

Where did you gather these? I can't find it broken out by religion anywhere.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
02-02-2017, 03:56 AM
(01-02-2017 12:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(31-01-2017 08:26 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I took the time to gather together the number of civilian deaths and injuries, globally, caused by extremist Muslim attacks since 1979—the year official records were begun.

Where did you gather these? I can't find it broken out by religion anywhere.

Here is something about Western Europe. It's only a graph though and I don't know how reliable info is - http://www.datagraver.com/case/people-ki...-1970-2015

Also you can found it broken by perpetrators in Global Terrorism Database. It may allow to single out islamic ones.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
02-02-2017, 03:58 AM
Another day on planet earth.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
12-02-2017, 05:44 PM
I thought some of you might be interested in the speech given by Imam Hassan Guillet after the Mosque attack. It's pretty good speech.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/i...-1.3966917

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 3 users Like epronovost's post
12-02-2017, 06:41 PM
(01-02-2017 03:36 AM)tomilay Wrote:  They seem too low.

They most certainly are. Far as I can tell they're only valuable lives, such as westerners. It doesn't include subhumans such as brown people or - god forbid - muslims they killed. The estimates of muslim kills by ISIL in Iraq alone is above 10.000. Bitter sarcasm off.
[+] 3 users Like abaris's post
12-02-2017, 07:03 PM
(12-02-2017 06:41 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(01-02-2017 03:36 AM)tomilay Wrote:  They seem too low.

They most certainly are. Far as I can tell they're only valuable lives, such as westerners. It doesn't include subhumans such as brown people or - god forbid - muslims they killed. The estimates of muslim kills by ISIL in Iraq alone is above 10.000. Bitter sarcasm off.

Got ya. I often catch myself forgetting that the numbers refer to the lives that actually matter.

Quick reminder to self: never for a moment think that lives in Maiduguri count toward the human cost of terrorism.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
13-02-2017, 12:03 AM
(12-02-2017 05:44 PM)epronovost Wrote:  I thought some of you might be interested in the speech given by Imam Hassan Guillet after the Mosque attack. It's pretty good speech.

Wow. Quite a speech. The parts that moved me the most:

"We are here to celebrate Khaled, Aboubaker, Abdelkrim, Azzedine, Mamadou, Ibrahima.

We are going to have a prayer for those who could not finish their prayers. We pray for them.

Those [who] didn't choose their place of birth.

I don't think anyone in this hall selected their place of birth. And no one on the face of this earth selected their place of birth.

But Khaled, Aboubaker, Abdelkrim, Azzedine, Mamadou and Ibrahima they selected the place they wanted to live in. They selected the society they wanted to be their society.

They selected with whom they wanted their children to grow. And it was Canada. It was Quebec. It was the city of Quebec in the same way they selected Quebec.

They chose Quebec to live in, and they chose the Canadian passport.

It is up to the society to choose them the same way they have chosen this society."

[...]

"Did I go through the complete list of victims? No.

There is one victim. None of us want talk about him.

But given my age, I have the courage to say it. This victim, his name is Alexandre Bissonnette.

Alexandre, before being a killer he was a victim himself. Before planting his bullets in the heads of his victims, somebody planted ideas more dangerous than the bullets in his head.

This little kid didn't wake up in the morning and say 'Hey guys instead of going to have a picnic or watching the Canadiens, I will go kill some people in the mosque.' It doesn't happen that way.

Day after day, week after week, month after month, certain politicians unfortunately, and certain reporters unfortunately, and certain media were poisoning our atmosphere.

We did not want to see it. We didn't want to see it because we love this country, we love this society. We wanted our to society to be perfect. We were like parents, their kids [are] smoking or taking drugs and your neighbour says that your kid was taking drugs, I don't believe it, my son is perfect.

We don't want to see it. And we didn't see it, and it happened."

Imam Guillet has a bigger heart than I do. But he's not wrong. Weeping

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 8 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
13-02-2017, 12:29 AM
(13-02-2017 12:03 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Imam Guillet has a bigger heart than I do. But he's not wrong. Weeping

Agreed, that response showed a surprising level of empathy for the killer. If nothing else, that ought to shame everyone who even for a second entertained the thought that the attack was justified.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
13-02-2017, 01:20 PM
(12-02-2017 05:44 PM)epronovost Wrote:  I thought some of you might be interested in the speech given by Imam Hassan Guillet after the Mosque attack. It's pretty good speech.

That was a wonderful speech. Thank you for posting it.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.