Most Appealing Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2013, 01:07 AM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2013 03:05 AM by Dark Light.)
Most Appealing Religion
I think I've seen a similar thread before somewhere, but I'm gonna do it again anyway. Forget whether there are gods or a God for a moment, which religion do you find most appealing, and why?

I find Sikhism appealing for a few reasons. They are about as peaceful as you're gonna find, but they are also warriors, sworn to defend themselves and others who are being attacked. They don't push their religion on anyone. They welcome everyone regardless of race, religion, sex, etc. They believe all religions can lead to God so they don't hate anyone based on their religion. They believe all are equal. The men all have kickass beards. They also believe in reincarnation, which has its appeal, and also Karma/Darhma which is appealing. Unfortunately, the don't eat meat, allow smoking/alcohol/drugs etc so I'm out despite the God factor.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2013, 01:12 AM
RE: Most Appealing Religion
If I could like a religion (which I can't), that one sounds allright, but like all religions it just HAS to go and prohibit people from something...specifically alcohol!! I'm OUT Undecided

16-04-2013, 04:03 AM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2013 04:08 AM by Luminon.)
I'd choose an ancient form of Hinduism, known as Brahmanism. Or if I wanted to be more modern, a Hinduist practitioner of the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. As far as I can tell, it makes all the right noises when it comes to morality, but there's more. Besides, I'm already familiar with it from that Theosophic literature which draws primarily from this tradition.

One concerned with metaphysics of the universe as interplay of living energies may find it of great help. Besides study and meditation, which I came to enjoy, there is the bodily discipline of yoga. Yoga or exactly said Hatha Yoga prevents the eternally sitting meditator's body from too much deterioration, which I could definitely use. Most of drugs like alcohol are out, but the amanita is permitted a few times per life (soma ritual) and there's no rule against spending years in the highest bliss of samadhi. I assure you, it's something like a permanent non-sexual orgasm in your head and spinal system.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
16-04-2013, 04:04 AM
Why not just make up one? Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
16-04-2013, 05:01 AM
(16-04-2013 04:04 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Why not just make up one? Angel
That would be Scientology.

Or Mormonism.

I don't know everything, but I'm working on it.
[+] 3 users Like f stop's post
16-04-2013, 05:27 AM
(16-04-2013 01:07 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I think I've seen a similar thread before somewhere, but I'm gonna do it again anyway. Forget whether there are gods or a God for a moment, which religion do you find most appealing, and why?
I've investigated Buddhism. It's primary appeal is that it's supposed to be an atheistic religion. The Buddha himself has been described as "the atheist who became a god." Unfortunately it has its own baggage. I still would like to learn more about it.

I don't know everything, but I'm working on it.
16-04-2013, 06:55 AM
Oh, I'm sorry DL, I thought you'd said appalling.

*exits thread*

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 4 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
16-04-2013, 07:06 AM
(16-04-2013 01:07 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Forget whether there are gods or a God for a moment

So then you actually request our opinion on the most appealing cult then right?

Lets ask Adam Sandler....

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
16-04-2013, 07:14 AM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2013 07:23 AM by Joh.)
I'm into Buddhism. Partly. It helped me overcome fears and the meditations help me focus and deal with stress. Buddhism loves critical thinking and I like its kind and peaceful philosophy. I like to read in a book of Suttas and even listen to talks by Buddhist monks and nuns.

I don't believe in rebirth in the literal sense. But I think we sort of die and get reborn with every experience. We become a new person with every experience. The person I was 2 weeks ago no longer exists. Many Buddhists believe in heavens and hells. I don't. Again, not in the literal sense. I think we make our "heavens" and "hells" here and now.
Karma: well... I think it is partly true... when I punch you, you punch me back. Wink If you are a nice person the world will mostly be nice back to you. Of course it's not always so Sad

I wouldn't call myself a Buddhist although I think I would qualify. I don't like labels, they are just limiting Smile
[+] 2 users Like Joh's post
16-04-2013, 07:14 PM
I would consider a religion which exalts the taco.

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
[+] 1 user Likes TheMrBillShow's post