Most Ridiculous Christian Warning I've Heard

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2014, 01:04 PM
RE: Most Ridiculous Christian Warning I've Heard
(11-07-2014 12:58 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  That darn logic keeps popping up to ruin everything.

That's what she said.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2014, 01:45 PM
[Image: sheep-1.png]

#sigh
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-07-2014, 06:02 PM
(10-07-2014 09:18 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  One of my uncles is a big time Bible thumper. He got into this hardcore Christian phase after he quit drinking. He relapsed with the drinking a few years later, but the Bible thumping shit still remained and has ever since.

Anyway, I'm over at my dad's today and my uncle starts talking about his Bible shit as always, and then tells me that when people say that Christianity is not true, the Bible warns to "Watch out for wolves dressed as sheep." That was his warning to me that atheism is the wrong path and that I need to listen to the Bible.

I just find this quote hysterical, how it refers to the Christians as sheep. All I could think was "Yeah, that's exactly what you all are. A bunch of sheep blindly following the herd, like lambs being lead to the slaughter."

The irony of it just kills me.

There are a lot of things about Christianity that I just don't get; things I can understand hypothetically, but not in reality.
The Christian joy of likening themselves to sheep and god to a shepherd is one of those things which particularly confuse me. I realise that in theory, a shepherd is meant to be seen as the protector of his flock, and that Christians see themselves as of their chosen deity's flock, which is the reason for the comparison, if I am not assuming incorrectly.
But here's what I don't get: It seems to me that Christians really never thought out their whole 'shepherd protector deity' thing; I mean, just think for a second on the job of a shepherd. It's just like what Jazz said; lambs being lead to the slaughter. Shepherds by trade exist to guard and keep their flock until it is time for the slaughter; the protection is not of benevolence, but of convenience and is summarily revoked at the first opportunity to obtain food and money. So why on earth is god likened to a shepherd? One who protects his flock until such a time that he can have the members slaughtered does not really invoke the image of a benevolent protector that the comparison seems to have been created for.
And that isn't even touching on the whole gullible/foolish/easily lead connotation of 'sheep'.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
11-07-2014, 06:40 PM
Wait, so are we the wolves? Hell yeah, that's awesome!

[Image: tumblr_lyogx61O4v1r4zr2vo1_500.gif]
(11-07-2014 06:02 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 09:18 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  One of my uncles is a big time Bible thumper. He got into this hardcore Christian phase after he quit drinking. He relapsed with the drinking a few years later, but the Bible thumping shit still remained and has ever since.

Anyway, I'm over at my dad's today and my uncle starts talking about his Bible shit as always, and then tells me that when people say that Christianity is not true, the Bible warns to "Watch out for wolves dressed as sheep." That was his warning to me that atheism is the wrong path and that I need to listen to the Bible.

I just find this quote hysterical, how it refers to the Christians as sheep. All I could think was "Yeah, that's exactly what you all are. A bunch of sheep blindly following the herd, like lambs being lead to the slaughter."

There are a lot of things about Christianity that I just don't get; things I can understand hypothetically, but not in reality.
The Christian joy of likening themselves to sheep and god to a shepherd is one of those things which particularly confuse me. I realise that in theory, a shepherd is meant to be seen as the protector of his flock, and that Christians see themselves as of their chosen deity's flock, which is the reason for the comparison, if I am not assuming incorrectly.
But here's what I don't get: It seems to me that Christians really never thought out their whole 'shepherd protector deity' thing; I mean, just think for a second on the job of a shepherd. It's just like what Jazz said; lambs being lead to the slaughter. Shepherds by trade exist to guard and keep their flock until it is time for the slaughter; the protection is not of benevolence, but of convenience and is summarily revoked at the first opportunity to obtain food and money. So why on earth is god likened to a shepherd? One who protects his flock until such a time that he can have the members slaughtered does not really invoke the image of a benevolent protector that the comparison seems to have been created for.
And that isn't even touching on the whole gullible/foolish/easily lead connotation of 'sheep'.

Well, if they questioned their analogies and didn't just blindly use them, they wouldn't be sheep, now would they? Laugh out load
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post
11-07-2014, 08:26 PM
(11-07-2014 06:40 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Wait, so are we the wolves? Hell yeah, that's awesome!

[Image: tumblr_lyogx61O4v1r4zr2vo1_500.gif]

[Image: 1ed.jpg]
Damn right. Cool

(11-07-2014 06:40 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  
(11-07-2014 06:02 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  There are a lot of things about Christianity that I just don't get; things I can understand hypothetically, but not in reality.

Well, if they questioned their analogies and didn't just blindly use them, they wouldn't be sheep, now would they? Laugh out load

True enough.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
11-07-2014, 08:54 PM
Wolves are beautiful, majestic, and Intelligent creatures with loving care towards their pack, even if it means they fight a little here and there or have to do something horrible when their pack gets too big or one wolf misbehaves. It is always in the benefit of the pack though. They value team work and togetherness and survival.

A sheep has none of these qualities. I for one am proud to be compared to a wolf.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 3 users Like Shadow Fox's post
12-07-2014, 08:20 AM
Re: RE: Most Ridiculous Christian Warning I've Heard
(11-07-2014 08:54 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Wolves are beautiful, majestic, and Intelligent creatures with loving care towards their pack, even if it means they fight a little here and there or have to do something horrible when their pack gets too big or one wolf misbehaves. It is always in the benefit of the pack though. They value team work and togetherness and survival.

A sheep has none of these qualities. I for one am proud to be compared to a wolf.

I thought you were the mother fudging fox?! treacherous swine.

Isn't the anti Christ supposed to be that wolf? When will he show up

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
12-07-2014, 08:56 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2014 09:35 AM by DLJ.)
Quote:I just find this quote hysterical, how it refers to the Christians as sheep. All I could think was "Yeah, that's exactly what you all are. A bunch of sheep blindly following the herd, like lambs being lead to the slaughter."

Hi,
You are not the only one to see the irony of the sheep! I have looked after sheep and goats. And to have the Judas Goat, the one who takes the path to the slaughter house and is removed by the farmer so the rest of the sheep follow it to there deaths!

However, as I was called a goat by a christian and he was happy to be a sheep!
He just could not see how, he as a sheep, was just doing as he is told. And a goat is an independent animal looking and challenging it's environment at all times!!
And I have found working with goats is so mush more rewarding than sheep!

Thanks for giving me the giggles!!

K:

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!
12-07-2014, 09:39 AM
(12-07-2014 08:56 AM)JONES Wrote:  ...
I have looked after sheep and goats.

Jonesy!

For the love of Shane Williams!

Don't go there!

Sadcryface

12-07-2014, 05:13 PM
(11-07-2014 06:02 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  There are a lot of things about Christianity that I just don't get; things I can understand hypothetically, but not in reality.

It is quite ridiculous when you step back and look at it. It's ironically very fitting too.

We're all supposed to be "God's children", but a father protecting his children being compared to a shepherd and his sheep is just disturbing. When people have children, they are actually doing something that is going to cost them financially, not help them. The joy of having a child of your own is what makes it well worth the money.

A shepherd, as you pointed out, raises his sheep for a living to make money, not out of parental love for the sheep. When the shepherd can make money for the meat, the sheep will be slaughtered. If anything the sheep is being tricked into believing that the shepherd cares for them as a parent, when in actuality all they are to him is a food/money source. The way that the church relies on the financial support of it's followers to stay alive makes the comparison even funnier because it is so fitting:

If a shepherd is raising sheep for a living as his only source of income and food, and he loses all of his sheep, he will starve.

If God (the shepherd) loses all his sheep (his followers), then he suffers the same fate as Zeus, and countless other gods from the past: he will be thought of as nothing more than just another fairy tale.

So the shepherd/sheep relationship is actually a great comparison when looking at the god/followers relationship - just in the exact opposite way that Christians had meant it.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 3 users Like WindyCityJazz's post