Most Violent U.S. State (Home Sweet Home)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2013, 12:26 AM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2013 01:09 AM by Dark Light.)
Most Violent U.S. State (Home Sweet Home)
I don't think there was a thread on this, but I could be wrong. This year the FBI named Tennessee the most dangerous state in the county. Of course, most dangerous is a bit subjective, but it is not the same thing as most deadly. The data was collected on murder, rape, robbery and aggravated assault, none of which are appealing. I suspect poverty plays a big factor in this - Tennessee currently has nearly 18% of it's population living below the poverty line, nothing new about that. Surprisingly, nearly a quarter of it's population does hold a Bachelors Degree or higher though. For every 100,000 people living in the state there is 643.6 violent crimes. Our largest city, Memphis, has the fifth highest crime rate in the country, and our second largest city (which I always thought of as being nice), Nashville has the eighteenth highest crime rate in the country. Last year there were 388 murders in Tennessee, mostly concentrated in metropolitan areas.

The top-ten most dangerous states are
  1. Tennessee
  2. Nevada
  3. Alaska
  4. New Mexico
  5. South Carolina
  6. Delaware
  7. Louisiana
  8. Florida
  9. Maryland
  10. Oklahoma

In related news, some nutbag living in the closest city to where I live went berserk in traffic (for the second time) and tried to murder three bikers unsuccessfully. Apparently when he failed to kill them with his SUV was was followed home by the bikers who had alerted the police, he came out dual-wielding pistols and proceeded to shoot one of the men three times.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2013, 12:53 AM
RE: Most Violent U.S. State (Home Sweet Home)
Mine is number nine. Because of Baltimore.
[+] 1 user Likes Juv's post
18-12-2013, 01:00 AM
Interesting list.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

18-12-2013, 01:16 AM
I found it interesting that places like Illinois didn't make the list, with Chicago notorious for being a murder capital. Additionally I would've expected New York, Chicago, California, and possibly other coastal states like Washington, Michigan and Virginia. Michigan counts as coastal, right?

18-12-2013, 01:33 AM
(18-12-2013 01:16 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I found it interesting that places like Illinois didn't make the list, with Chicago notorious for being a murder capital. Additionally I would've expected New York, Chicago, California, and possibly other coastal states like Washington, Michigan and Virginia. Michigan counts as coastal, right?

Does seem odd. I really expected California to be on the list...

But ironically Stocton Califorrnia was named where the most people feel unsafe.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

18-12-2013, 03:03 AM
(18-12-2013 12:53 AM)Juv Wrote:  Mine is number nine. Because of Baltimore.

Good old charm city. "Welcome to Balt'more Hun" (stab)

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
18-12-2013, 03:04 AM
I'm kinda surprised that Alaska is on the list. What've they been doing up there?
18-12-2013, 03:10 AM
(18-12-2013 12:26 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I don't think there was a thread on this, but I could be wrong. This year the FBI named Tennessee the most dangerous state in the county. Of course, most dangerous is a bit subjective, but it is not the same thing as most deadly. The data was collected on murder, rape, robbery and aggravated assault, none of which are appealing. I suspect poverty plays a big factor in this - Tennessee currently has nearly 18% of it's population living below the poverty line, nothing new about that. Surprisingly, nearly a quarter of it's population does hold a Bachelors Degree or higher though. For every 100,000 people living in the state there is 643.6 violent crimes. Our largest city, Memphis, has the fifth highest crime rate in the country, and our second largest city (which I always thought of as being nice), Nashville has the eighteenth highest crime rate in the country. Last year there were 388 murders in Tennessee, mostly concentrated in metropolitan areas.

The top-ten most dangerous states are
  1. Tennessee
  2. Nevada
  3. Alaska
  4. New Mexico
  5. South Carolina
  6. Delaware
  7. Louisiana
  8. Florida
  9. Maryland
  10. Oklahoma

In related news, some nutbag living in the closest city to where I live went berserk in traffic (for the second time) and tried to murder three bikers unsuccessfully. Apparently when he failed to kill them with his SUV was was followed home by the bikers who had alerted the police, he came out dual-wielding pistols and proceeded to shoot one of the men three times.

You know things are great when you go around rating how violent your states are. As such:
[Image: Murica!!!.jpg]

(18-12-2013 03:04 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  I'm kinda surprised that Alaska is on the list. What've they been doing up there?

They must be taking their aggression out on seals or too busy looking at Russia from across the sea to be incredibly violent.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
18-12-2013, 09:09 AM
Alaska does have a reputation for for violence. Drugs and alcohol run rampant, and everyone there owns a gun or five, cause you know, it's fucking Alaska and you'd better have a few guns. Most (if not, a very high percentage) of them are hunters by necessity, in addition to having to fight off vicious animals. Of course I'm not referring so much to it's larger cities, but most of the rural places.

18-12-2013, 04:38 PM
(18-12-2013 01:16 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I found it interesting that places like Illinois didn't make the list, with Chicago notorious for being a murder capital. Additionally I would've expected New York, Chicago, California, and possibly other coastal states like Washington, Michigan and Virginia. Michigan counts as coastal, right?
Washington is super chill, you should move here Tongue.

I'm pretty sure Seattle was rated the most intelligent City in the US. (Note, this doesn't mean the city with the most intelligent people). http://www.komonews.com/news/around-the-...70341.html

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.