Most Violent U.S. State (Home Sweet Home)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2013, 08:00 PM
RE: Most Violent U.S. State (Home Sweet Home)
(18-12-2013 07:47 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 07:41 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Aggravated assault account for most violent crimes. That almost certainly means guns were not involved. Once guns are being shot it jumps to murder or attempted murder.

Pulling a gun can result in an AA charge, at least in MD.

It can in any state (as far as I know), but more often than not when you shoot someone, or shoot at someone, you are looking at murder or attempted murder charges.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2013, 08:04 PM
(18-12-2013 08:00 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 07:47 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Pulling a gun can result in an AA charge, at least in MD.

It can in any state (as far as I know), but more often than not when you shoot someone, or shoot at someone, you are looking at murder or attempted murder charges.

I recon guns are pulled at least 10 times for every actual shooting.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
18-12-2013, 08:12 PM
(18-12-2013 08:04 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 08:00 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  It can in any state (as far as I know), but more often than not when you shoot someone, or shoot at someone, you are looking at murder or attempted murder charges.

I recon guns are pulled at least 10 times for every actual shooting.

reckon*

I don't doubt that one bit. I do doubt that for those other 10 times that guns are pulled and not used someone is charged with aggravated assault, or at least a majority of those times.

Perhaps my definition of aggravated assault is wrong? When I think aggravated assault I think assault that causes serious bodily harm when murder was not the goal. Some stabbings, some vehicular assaults, clubbings, etc.

18-12-2013, 08:42 PM
(18-12-2013 08:12 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 08:04 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  I recon guns are pulled at least 10 times for every actual shooting.

reckon*

I don't doubt that one bit. I do doubt that for those other 10 times that guns are pulled and not used someone is charged with aggravated assault, or at least a majority of those times.

Perhaps my definition of aggravated assault is wrong? When I think aggravated assault I think assault that causes serious bodily harm when murder was not the goal. Some stabbings, some vehicular assaults, clubbings, etc.

This is how it works here (usually your milage may vary) pull out a gun and they will slap you with assault point it at someone and it becomes Aggravated Assault, cock the hammer and you just graduated to Assault with a deadly Weapon, Discharge the Weapon and now you get Attempted Murder.

AA is a more serious charge (Class A Felony) than Assault (which can vary from a misdemeanor up to a felony) AA takes more to prove as well. You and your buddy get to drinking and have a fist fight over who looks better in Heels (and frankly Jimbo is fooling himself with your legs you just kill them damn heels) you both get tossed in the drunk tank and get a $50 fine and a misdemeanor Assault charge if either of you wants to press. Now lets say that Jimbo takes that fight a bit further and really knocks the tar out of you to the point that you go to the Emergency Room instead of a drunk tank, now Jimbo is in a heap of trouble and has an AA charge.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
18-12-2013, 08:56 PM
(18-12-2013 08:12 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 08:04 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  I recon guns are pulled at least 10 times for every actual shooting.

reckon*

Let's just Google that:

Aggravated Assault

A person is guilty of aggravated assault if he or she attempts to cause serious bodily injury to another or causes such injury purposely, knowingly, or recklessly under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life; or attempts to cause or purposely or knowingly causes bodily injury to another with a deadly weapon. In all jurisdictions statutes punish such aggravated assaults as assault with intent to murder (or rob or kill or rape) and assault with a dangerous (or deadly) weapon more severely than "simple" assaults.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-12-2013, 08:59 PM
Pulling out a gun isn't of itself a crime.

Pulling out a gun in a government building, airport, etc is a crime. Pulling out a gun in public from a concealed location without a permit is a crime. Threatening someone with a gun without just cause is a crime. Pulling out a gun alone isn't assault.

18-12-2013, 09:01 PM
(18-12-2013 08:56 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 08:12 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  reckon*

Let's just Google that:

Aggravated Assault

A person is guilty of aggravated assault if he or she attempts to cause serious bodily injury to another or causes such injury purposely, knowingly, or recklessly under circumstances manifesting extreme indifference to the value of human life; or attempts to cause or purposely or knowingly causes bodily injury to another with a deadly weapon. In all jurisdictions statutes punish such aggravated assaults as assault with intent to murder (or rob or kill or rape) and assault with a dangerous (or deadly) weapon more severely than "simple" assaults.

Sounds subjective and messy. That's why lawyers get paid well, I suppose.

18-12-2013, 09:20 PM
(18-12-2013 07:57 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 05:31 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Notice how all but 2 of them are notoriously republican states?

Florida is neither blue, nor red. They are arguably now a little more democrat aligned, but it's a toss up at best.

Nevada, New Mexico, Delaware, and Maryland are all blue states.

The People's Republic of Maryland is most certainly not blue. We're so Red we're Commie Bastard Red. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
18-12-2013, 09:29 PM
(18-12-2013 09:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 07:57 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Florida is neither blue, nor red. They are arguably now a little more democrat aligned, but it's a toss up at best.

Nevada, New Mexico, Delaware, and Maryland are all blue states.

The People's Republic of Maryland is most certainly not blue. We're so Red we're Commie Bastard Red. Tongue

I know you're joking, but you're going to confuse the non-Americans.

For those of you not familiar, here is what people mean by red v. blue states.

18-12-2013, 09:39 PM (This post was last modified: 18-12-2013 09:42 PM by Free Thought.)
(18-12-2013 09:29 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 09:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  The People's Republic of Maryland is most certainly not blue. We're so Red we're Commie Bastard Red. Tongue

I know you're joking, but you're going to confuse the non-Americans.

For those of you not familiar, here is what people mean by red v. blue states.

But do the Reds still hate the commies?

'Cause if they do, that's not right, man; red on red fire going on.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post