Most distrusted minority in America

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Most distrusted minority in America
Are atheists, according to a study from University of Minnesota. There were two questions they asked(that we are focusing on). These answers are not mutationally exclusive too, btw. Link.

"Would you disapprove of your child marrying a(n)...?"
Atheists - 47.6%
Muslims - 33.5%
Blacks - 27.2%

"Which group(s) do not share your vision of American society?"
Atheists - 39.5%
Muslims - 26.3%
Homosexuals -22.6%

I thought that we were at least better than Muslims, but I guess not. This is why I don't have too much faith in America.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-12-2010, 04:25 PM
RE: Most distrusted minority in America
Why does it matter what a people who one quarter of the time are so racist that they disprove of their children marrying black people say?

I wonder what percentage of the respondents were Atheists?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
26-12-2010, 04:39 PM
George Bush Sr said we can't be considered patriots. Pat Tillman would beg to differ, I'm sure. Ann Coulter considers all liberals to be "Godless." Apparently, the Reverand Jesse Jackson is an atheist to her mind.

The real problem is that we as a group have allowed the faithful to define what it is we are and what it is we believe and teach from their pulpits for too long unchallenged. We need a big ol' fashioned coming out campaign. We need celebrities like Jodie Foster and Rickie Gervais and Julianne Moore to do PSAs. We need scientists like Stephen Hawking and Neil deGrasse Tyson to campaign for rationalism. Authors such as Dave Barry and Clive James, musicians like Ani De Franco and Shirley Manson, and then what we really need is a few respected politicians to make the public statement.

(Shot opens on three persons before a white screen.)
Hello, I'm Jodi Foster. I'm Ricky Gervais. I'm Julian Moore. We're all actors respected in our fields just like Charlie Chaplain, Marlene Deitriche and Katherine Hepburn. Just like them, we love to perform, and entertain, and just like each of them, we're all atheists.
(Scene shifts to two men before a blue background.)
Hello, I'm Neil deGrasse Tyson and this is Stephen Hawking. We work in the scientific fields following in the footsteps of such great thinkers as Albert Einstein, Sigmund Freud and Francis Crick. Just like them, we strive to understand our universe and wonder at its marvels. But that's not all we have in common with these great minds. Just like them, we reject superstition and we doubt the supernatural.
(Scene shifts to a slate colored background and two men)
I'm humorist Dave Barry. I'm novelist Clive James. Just like some of our heroes including Mark Twain, Douglas Adams, and Issac Asimov, we make our livings creating literature to entertain and enlighten you. (They are joined by two women) I'm Shirley Manson. I'm Ani deFranco. We write and perform music to entertain you. We follow in the footsteps of such legends as Richard Strauss and John Lennon. (The shot widens and everyone from the PSA is on camera. One by one they take turns speaking.)
We're all respected in our fields. We're all honest citizens. We're all proud of our countries. We're all hard working. We're all drug free. We're all happy. We're all real people just like you. We don't believe in God. But it's okay with us if you do. We don't think any less of you for it.
(In unison.)
Can we ask you for the same respect?

THAT WOULD BE SO AWESOME!
27-12-2010, 09:01 AM
(26-12-2010 04:39 PM)gamutman Wrote:  George Bush Sr said we can't be considered patriots. Pat Tillman would beg to differ, I'm sure. Ann Coulter considers all liberals to be "Godless." Apparently, the Reverand Jesse Jackson is an atheist to her mind.

The real problem is that we as a group have allowed the faithful to define what it is we are and what it is we believe and teach from their pulpits for too long unchallenged. We need a big ol' fashioned coming out campaign. We need celebrities like Jodie Foster and Rickie Gervais and Julianne Moore to do PSAs. We need scientists like Stephen Hawking and Neil deGrasse Tyson to campaign for rationalism. Authors such as Dave Barry and Clive James, musicians like Ani De Franco and Shirley Manson, and then what we really need is a few respected politicians to make the public statement.

Hello, I'm Jodi Foster. I'm Ricky Gervais. I'm Julian Moore. We're all actors respected in our fields just like Charlie Chaplain, Marlene Deitriche and Katherine Hepburn. Just like them, we love to perform, and entertain, and just like each of them, we're all atheists.
Hello, I'm Neil deGrasse Tyson and this is Stephen Hawking. We work in the scientific fields following in the footsteps of such great thinkers as Albert Einstein, Sigmund Freud and Francis Crick. Just like them, we strive to understand our universe and wonder at its marvels. But that's not all we have in common with these great minds. Just like them, we reject superstition and we doubt the supernatural.
I'm humorist Dave Barry. I'm novelist Clive James. Just like some of our heroes including Mark Twain, Douglas Adams, and Issac Asimov, we make our livings creating literature to entertain and enlighten you. (They are joined by two women) I'm Shirley Manson. I'm Ani deFranco. We write and perform music to entertain you. We follow in the footsteps of such legends as Richard Strauss and John Lennon. (The shot widens and everyone from the PSA is on camera. One by one they take turns speaking.)
We're all respected in our fields. We're all honest citizens. We're all proud of our countries. We're all hard working. We're all drug free. We're all happy. We're all real people just like you. We don't believe in God. But it's okay with us if you do. We don't think any less of you for it.
(In unison.)

Goosebumps. Literally.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
27-12-2010, 10:07 AM
(27-12-2010 09:01 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  
(26-12-2010 04:39 PM)gamutman Wrote:  George Bush Sr said we can't be considered patriots. Pat Tillman would beg to differ, I'm sure. Ann Coulter considers all liberals to be "Godless." Apparently, the Reverand Jesse Jackson is an atheist to her mind.

(In unison.)

Goosebumps. Literally.

Thanks, I liked it too. So much so, that I made a video about it this morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sz0wna2psk
27-12-2010, 12:48 PM
(26-12-2010 04:25 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Why does it matter what a people who one quarter of the time are so racist that they disprove of their children marrying black people say?

I wonder what percentage of the respondents were Atheists?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

Based on the best polling data, one in six were at least irreligious...(16.1%)

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-12-2010, 07:19 PM
I was going to say "I wonder how many of the people they polled were black or muslim, and how they responded to this bigotry charged question?" ... until I realized that it was Minnesota.

So I'm assuming the answer is zero.

Still, nothing quite as equally comical and sad as asking a black person how they would feel if their child married a black person.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
27-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Just because the University of Minnesota conducted the poll, that doesn't mean the respondents were all from Minnesota. Quinepac University does national polls.
27-12-2010, 08:51 PM
I have to admit that I do find this attitude a little frustrating. How does my not believing in god make me a bad person? Just because I don't need a book to tell me what's "right and wrong"?

IMO, if you need a book to tell you that, and that is the only thing that keeps you on an honest path, there is something wrong with you. Nothing wrong with me.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
28-12-2010, 10:01 AM
I tried debating a quasi-theist friend.When I mentioned the theory of evolution and morality coming from education rather than a book the discussion went sour fast.

My honest empathy to all American atheists.