Most hated word or phrase?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2013, 03:18 PM
RE: Most hated word or phrase?
(30-04-2013 08:11 PM)amyb Wrote:  Well, this isn't a word or phrase, but I'm so annoyed that I'm going to post it anyway:

When people think you make a plural by adding an apostrophe and an "s." Just randomly inserting apostrophes everywhere. Apostrophe abuse. I see it any time I log into Facebook.
[Image: 23153050.jpg]

(I'm sorry, this never gets old Blush )

Like I mentioned in another thread, the word "fap". Really hate it. And "could care less" drives me insane, 'cause it makes no bloody sense. Oh, and the word "spiritual". Bloody meaningless waste of letters Dodgy

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
01-05-2013, 10:01 PM
(30-04-2013 08:28 PM)Peanut Wrote:  
(30-04-2013 08:11 PM)amyb Wrote:  Well, this isn't a word or phrase, but I'm so annoyed that I'm going to post it anyway:

When people think you make a plural by adding an apostrophe and an "s." Just randomly inserting apostrophes everywhere. Apostrophe abuse. I see it any time I log into Facebook.
I, hate it, when people use commas, in the most obnoxious ways! Is it really THAT difficult to figure out where a "pause" should go?"
Yes! That too. I also see that way too often on Facebook. I always imagine William Shatner saying whatever it is. I want to smack them upside the head with a copy of Strunk & White. I can forgive people on instant messengers, text messages, even forums. What pisses me off is when people go through the trouble of making an image macro, sometimes with a good quote on it, and fuck the punctuation all up. I am unable to "share" such things on Facebook because I can't forgive the apostrophes and commas.

Quote: God will judge you whether you believe in Him or not.

To this I sometimes reply "You're wasting your time whether you believe that or not".
I'll add to that the people who tell you "God loves you anyway" when you tell them you're an atheist.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-05-2013, 10:05 PM
(01-05-2013 10:01 PM)amyb Wrote:  
Quote: God will judge you whether you believe in Him or not.

To this I sometimes reply "You're wasting your time whether you believe that or not".
I'll add to that the people who tell you "God loves you anyway" when you tell them you're an atheist.

Maybe you could just respond "then why worry?"

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
12-05-2013, 03:25 PM
per-say... How about per-talk? Per-speak? Per-mumble? Per-shout?

If you wanna appear all knowledgeable and use Latin expressions, without actually being able to spell, how about you crack open a dictionary or something...

(And yeah, I was just reminded of this by one of our latest woodwork crawlers. Where do they come from? No )

Oh, and don't even get me started on the likes of it's suppose and I'm bias. No, you're not a bias. You're simply ignorant... Dodgy

[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
12-05-2013, 03:45 PM
^Which brings me to another misspelling: "distane." It took me a moment to even realize it was supposed to say "disdain."

I am also seeing too much "would of" in other places online. I was watching something on Netflix last night and heard a "I could care less."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
12-05-2013, 03:59 PM
(12-05-2013 03:45 PM)amyb Wrote:  ^Which brings me to another misspelling: "distane." It took me a moment to even realize it was supposed to say "disdain."

I am also seeing too much "would of" in other places online. I was watching something on Netflix last night and heard a "I could care less."

Oh yeah, I saw the "distane" thing, too, but figured he couldn't possibly be this stupid... And then again...

I can do you one better on the "would of" thing - I came across it in one of my books. A book which has an editor and a proofreader and what have you. I've also seen (again, in a book) an author confuse the words defuse and diffuse. And several other errors of the same calibre...

And then, there is the word "definitely". The bane of Internet users all over the globe. I mean, what's so difficult about it? Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
12-05-2013, 05:57 PM
(12-05-2013 03:59 PM)Vera Wrote:  I've also seen (again, in a book) an author confuse the words defuse and diffuse.

"Inciteful" when they mean "insightful" never ceases to crack me up. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-05-2013, 06:09 PM
(12-05-2013 05:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  "Inciteful" when they mean "insightful" never ceases to crack me up. Big Grin

I'm not sure it ain't oddly appropriate in my case, though Angel

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
12-05-2013, 06:22 PM
Expendable
The most filthy word in any language when attributed to human beings!!!

12-05-2013, 08:13 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2013 08:17 PM by Full Circle.)
Pour spelling, yousing the wrong word and improper accentuation Big Grin

Spelling test: http://www.merriam-webster.com/spell-it/index.htm

How well did you do? I scored 2520 points, misspelling 2 of 10 Weeping

Edit: On the second test I scored 3540 getting 10/10 (different words) Banana_zorro

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post