Most hated word or phrase?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2013, 09:18 AM
RE: Most hated word or phrase?
"Human needs are infinite!"
"It's the human nature!"

- coming from many an economist/politician/Libertarian. (I've been at a party on Friday) Hey, our political programs may come together for a long way, but this is why I choose the Pirate party, they're science-savvy, practical, truly progressive, have insight... We can't have people making claims about homo sapiens without backing it up with social/behavioral sciences. What is that? Our good old fellow PSEUDOSCIENCE. I'd never think to observe it so close up, so far away from churches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2013, 07:28 PM
THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!

I don't actually hate the phrase, I like the phrase. I hate that Ferdinand got me into the habit of saying it 'cept she's all the way over in America so I'm literally the only person in Britain who ever says it so I get weird looks all the time when I say it 'cos I can't break the habit. Then people are like "why the fuck do you say that", and answering "I totally got the habit from a 17 year old girl from Alabama who I met online" makes me look like a liar or a sad bastard, depending on whether they believe me. Sad

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
07-04-2013, 07:32 PM
(07-04-2013 03:51 AM)amyb Wrote:  
Quote:"No offense, but..."
"I'm not racist, but..."
Quote:"Whom" (it is archaic. Just say "who")
I didn't always agree about this, and I probably use it sometimes myself still, but what really kills me is when they use it wrong. It's an object, not a subject. I remember, one time in college, some asshole put a sign up on the dorm wall using it incorrectly. I went directly to my room, got a post-it note and a sharpie pen, and stuck a fucking note on their sign, just to be a dick.

Also, a lot of euphemisms, especially: "he's in a better place now."
Been hearing this one a lot this weekend, since a distant relative killed himself and the funeral was yesterday. I didn't know the poor bastard, but I feel like maybe a box in the funeral home across town isn't necessarily "a better place." People used it a lot about my dad, too. I mean, fuck, were we all so terrible to be around that he'd rather be in a metal canister underground? He's not in a better place, he's just dead, that's all.

If mispronunciations count:
squarsh
warsh
warshing machine
George Warshington
George Warshington Carver
Warshington, D.C.
Warshington state

One night at a bar I spelled water with an R in it probably half a dozen times. We were discussing how people pronounce words and someone asked me how to spell water. I said w-a-r-t-e-r like it was no big deal. He asked again how to spell it. Again with the R. At that point I was a bit annoyed and he asked again. Again with an R. Finally after a few more times he told me to slow down and think about what word I was spelling. Silly me.
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
07-04-2013, 07:35 PM
(07-04-2013 07:28 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!

I don't actually hate the phrase, I like the phrase. I hate that Ferdinand got me into the habit of saying it 'cept she's all the way over in America so I'm literally the only person in Britain who ever says it so I get weird looks all the time when I say it 'cos I can't break the habit. Then people are like "why the fuck do you say that", and answering "I totally got the habit from a 17 year old girl from Alabama who I met online" makes me look like a liar or a sad bastard, depending on whether they believe me. Sad

It's an excellent example of humorous sarcasm. I love that phrase. I also say this one a lot.

You think you know someone. Then you find out they _________.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
07-04-2013, 08:53 PM
I don't hate the phrases, but I get a little angey with myself sometimes for not wanting to use religiously influenced language meant as profanity! "Holy SHIT" is a good one for when you witness an empty fireworks factory go up in smoke. And what about god damn it? God damn it, "goddammit" rolls off the tongue so well! I've been known to sigh out, "OhMyFuckingGod" when asked if I would like to hear about Jesus. Can't help myself sometimes....goddamnitSmile

[+] 4 users Like TheGulegon's post
07-04-2013, 09:14 PM
I hate when a TV network states that a show is "All new" that particular night/day. Dodgy
So... There are shows that are "kinda new or only PART of it is new?" Just tell the public that there's a NEW episode on.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
07-04-2013, 09:20 PM
"You're just a teenager, what do you know?"

Ahem, actually, quite a lot. I know enough to put some adults to shame. So, fuck that saying. I can't stand it when people think that my age matters in an intellectual, or even religious discussion.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
07-04-2013, 09:22 PM
(07-04-2013 09:20 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  "You're just a teenager, what do you know?"

Ahem, actually, quite a lot. I know enough to put some adults to shame. So, fuck that saying. I can't stand it when people think that my age matters in an intellectual, or even religious discussion.

[Image: whos-awesome-youre-awesome.jpeg]
You tell 'em, Ato Smile

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
07-04-2013, 09:23 PM
(07-04-2013 09:20 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  "You're just a teenager, what do you know?"

I would take this seriously except you're just a teenager. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Chas's post
07-04-2013, 09:25 PM
(07-04-2013 09:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  

I would take this seriously except you're just a teenager. Drinking Beverage

...that looks good in makeup. Tongue

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy