Most influential people who turned you atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2016, 10:06 PM
Most influential people who turned you atheist
Obviously Seth Andrews had something to do with a lot of people who became an atheist on here, but who else? Youtube atheists like Theramintrees, Influential scientists like Richard Dawkins, or maybe just your friend. Share your stories here!

Respect is for those who deserve it,
Not for those who demand it
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2016, 10:11 PM
RE: Most influential people who turned you atheist
Seth, Richard Dawkins, Lawrence Krauss, Bart Ehrman, Steve Wells, Guy Harrison, Hector Avalos, Dan Barker, John Loftus, the writers of the Bible, Neil deGrasse Tyson, I'm sure there are more but I'm half asleep Wink

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
28-03-2016, 10:18 PM
Before Seth, it was Matt dillahunty and the rest of the atheist experience crew, Richard Dawkins, and a good part of the UCLA community (albeit unintentionally) particularly the Christian speaker whose name I've since forgotten at a debate/discussion during my freshman year. Oh, and my pastor's presuppositional apologetic when I tried to talk about my faith crisis after reading the god delusion probably contributed too, although I was pretty far gone at that point.
[+] 1 user Likes debna27's post
28-03-2016, 10:19 PM
Seth had nothing to do with my deconversion. My mother and SIL were/are so bat-shit crazy about their Catholic resurgence that I sought out the truth. Matt Dillahunty and the AXP were extremely influential, then I heard Hitch and it was done. Dawkins, whom I met, played a big role, especially his books, as did Sam Harris. After that, basically science is my rock.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like WillHopp's post
28-03-2016, 10:22 PM
Me.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 14 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
28-03-2016, 10:48 PM
I guess maybe my dad when he made sarcastic comments about televangelists and faith healers when we'd randomly see them on TV. That might have had a small influence on me.
28-03-2016, 10:51 PM
Myself aged 4.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
28-03-2016, 11:38 PM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2016 08:14 AM by Bucky Ball.)
Me, age 7.
The priest (and visiting Professor, and Chairman of a nationally recognized Jesuit College's Theology Department), who taught Bible 101. Great guy.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
29-03-2016, 12:44 AM
Me. Books are just accessories, it's throwing of indoctrination and asking questions what matter. To be fair though parents weren't much interested in church so my let's call it internal fight wasn't hard.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
29-03-2016, 01:01 AM
My Sunday school teacher Mrs Taylor (horrible woman) making me get out of bed for that nonsense.
[+] 1 user Likes PaddyOdoors's post