Most influential people who turned you atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2016, 01:34 AM
RE: Most influential people who turned you atheist
I wuz bit. Then I wuz turned. Now I hunger for braai...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
29-03-2016, 01:50 AM
god (or, more precisely, a lack thereof)

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
29-03-2016, 04:37 AM
My own thoughts were what convinced me.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
29-03-2016, 05:42 AM
I could say the most influential person who made me aware of the term and expressed concept of atheism & the idea of apatheism to some degree.

That was Penn Jillette in some I believe essay he wrote.

I had been of the atheist notion from my own accord well before that and various anti religious hogwash influences like particular movie plots, even video game plots like FFT, and other media notions had me aware of it's silly. Along with studying mythology and world religion and seeing how its all the same bag under a false scope.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
29-03-2016, 07:53 AM
Me, about 2 nanoseconds after the Sunday school teacher *insisted* that the story of Jonah was factually and literally true. I knew then it was all hogwash.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
29-03-2016, 07:53 AM
I mostly figured it out on my own, but during the transitional years (from Catholic to atheist), I found lots of support in the writings of Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche and Bertrand Russell. This was back in the early 1970s, before most of today's prominent atheists were known.
29-03-2016, 08:21 AM
Michael Shermer, when I by chance picked up his book called "Why People Believe Weird Things" several years ago. It was the book that taught me to be a skeptic. My MIL and her family also played a role with some of their weird ass beliefs. Mostly, it was just reading the bible. Other than that one Shermer book, I didn't start reading atheist literature or listening to atheist podcasts until I had pretty much already deconverted.

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
29-03-2016, 08:52 AM
The years of bullshit growing up led me to cement my beliefs when I was a tween. That was kept silent however until I saw youtubes of Hitchens and the like and I finally felt comfortable in my belief and that I wasn't alone.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
29-03-2016, 11:25 AM
Several years ago a friend of mine, who had once been on a praise and worship team with me and had since deconverted, responded privately through email to a post I made about finding the good in a drowning of a man who was saving another lady in Lake Erie. This man attended our church and his wife was on our worship team as well. Her kids babysat my kids. I was trying to make sense out of the accident and went on my usual deepities about god's reasons not being understood but all the people's lives this man's death had affected in a positive way. Pretty pious, dumb shit really. The questions in his email sparked a desire to talk to him more...1) to understand his story of becoming an atheist and 2) just to be a loving christian and prove that I wasn't about to write someone off just because of their beliefs. At this point, I had already been starting to ask myself some important questions and I just wasn't sure where to get the answers.

That conversation led to my desire to become stronger in my beliefs so that I could defend my faith. Little did I know that the ground beneath my feet would slowly erode and the house of cards would come tumbling down over the next few years to the likes of Bart Ehrman, Dan Barker, Guy Patterson, Sam Harris, Robert Ingersoll, Robert M. Price etc.
However, my love for understanding the psychology of religion and why people believe things grew from that. Even though I no longer believe in any deity of sorts I still enjoy studying biblical perspectives from the likes of many great scholars. Just the same I have also seen increased interest in science, philosophy, psychology and just an overall thirst for knowledge.

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 2 users Like Tonechaser77's post
29-03-2016, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2016 01:26 PM by SitaSky.)
When I was first considering God didn't exist at 12 I didn't have much else to believe in or rely on for information but then my biology teacher taught us about evolution and he mentioned the controversy but stated in no uncertain terms that he would not be teaching creationism, that he would teach evolutionary biology just like had done for years. He really opened up my mind, I later saw a TV program about Carl Sagan and it showed him in an interview later in life when he was sick and he mentioned not fearing death, that he wasn't religious and that the universe was far too vast and interesting a place to be so easily explained. His love for science made his eyes bright and his clear soothing voice didn't sound afraid to me, my parents made it seem like atheists fear death most of all but that wasn't true, I later studied his life and work. So I guess Mr. Atwood and Carl Sagan were the first to influence me on the journey to atheism.

edit: I also wanted to mention about my teacher that this all happened in Oklahoma in the late 90's, a time when many parents in the community were asking for creationism to be taught alongside evolution, or to "teach the controversy", what he did was a very bold move and I really respect him for that alone.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]