Most influential people who turned you atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2016, 03:06 PM
RE: Most influential people who turned you atheist
(29-03-2016 08:21 AM)TurkeyBurner Wrote:  Michael Shermer, when I by chance picked up his book called "Why People Believe Weird Things" several years ago. It was the book that taught me to be a skeptic. My MIL and her family also played a role with some of their weird ass beliefs. Mostly, it was just reading the bible. Other than that one Shermer book, I didn't start reading atheist literature or listening to atheist podcasts until I had pretty much already deconverted.

I picked up that book at the right time also. Six months without booze and 2 weeks after a divorce, she sent me that book and asked me if that was a friend of mine writing that BS.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-03-2016, 04:02 PM
Dualists.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-03-2016, 06:54 PM
Actually, I didn't even read a single book by or about atheists. I came to that conclusion after spending a lot of time researching and delving into my religion at the time. In fact, I can only remember reading one book a few months ago by an atheist, Greta Christina. I still haven't read any books by Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, etc.
29-03-2016, 06:56 PM
My parents and their hypocrisy.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
29-03-2016, 08:48 PM
After being raised within a conservative Methodist family as a child, I started to seriously consider the biblical fairy tales when I first went to high school at around age 12 years, and particularly as I'd just been given my first bible (wowee!) by a well-intentioned but deluded Christian deaconess in my last year in grade school—talk about not so subtle indoctrination!

So... by my early teens I'd investigated enough ideas propounded by way more educated people than I (at the local library, using those things full of sheets of paper LOL) to conclude by my late teens that religious beliefs were a steaming pile of bovine excrement. And I didn't have any of the contemporary atheists to refer to back then; Richard Dawkins, AC Grayling, Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris, Seth Andrews, Michael Shermer, Peter Singer et al.

It was more likely to be Bertrand Russell, H. L. Mencken, Jean-Paul Sartre, or John L. Mackie (one of my local heroes).

And since those long past days of my youth (sob) I've never once come across any theist writer or philosopher who's ever given me cause to doubt the singular tenet of atheism. On the contrary, people such as William Lane Craig, Lee Strobel, Timothy McGrew, and William Dembski have only further reinforced my negative opinion of theism as being nothing more than a delusional, 2,000-year-old Dark Ages mindset.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
29-03-2016, 08:50 PM
I blame the Bible for making me an atheist.

I read a few parts, asked a few questions.
"That doesn't make any sense. I don't believe it."

It's really as simple as that.

It wasn't until I was in my early 40's that I actually had a label for my non- belief. (Atheist)

I began watching Matt Dillahunty, Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris and they echoed more eloquently than I ever could, what was buried deep in my brain.

People like me were always atheists. We didn't turn into atheists. We simply discovered that non-belief had a label.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
30-03-2016, 05:48 AM
(29-03-2016 04:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Dualists.

[Image: duellists.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
30-03-2016, 06:21 AM
(30-03-2016 05:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-03-2016 04:02 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Dualists.

[Image: duellists.jpg]

Dueling dualists? At least they aren't drooling (or even Doolin)

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
30-03-2016, 06:23 AM
Jack T. Chick and Bill Schnobelen.

They're not atheists, not by a long shot. They did, however, convince me that that the faithful were actually fearful, as well as batshit insane.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
30-03-2016, 06:28 AM
Nobody turned me atheist. I don't remember ever believing the stories I was being told as they never made any sense. A lot of people have helped me understand more clearly exactly why the various arguments for god are fallacious but I always knew intuitively that it just didn't add up.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post