Most influential people who turned you atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2016, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2016 01:05 PM by DLJ.)
RE: Most influential people who turned you atheist
(29-03-2016 08:50 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I blame the Bible for making me an atheist.

I read a few parts, asked a few questions.
"That doesn't make any sense. I don't believe it."

It's really as simple as that.

It wasn't until I was in my early 40's that I actually had a label for my non- belief. (Atheist)

I began watching Matt Dillahunty, Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris and they echoed more eloquently than I ever could, what was buried deep in my brain.

People like me were always atheists. We didn't turn into atheists. We simply discovered that non-belief had a label.

Almost entirely ditto.

But the drip-feed environmental shaping in the early years was a combination of:

The BBC (wildlife documentaries; general acceptance of science as superior to religion; nightly news of sectarian violence in Northern Ireland),
David Attenborough,
Douglas Adams,
Reading Greek and Roman mythologies,
Carl Sagan,
James Burke,
Jonathan Miller,
Monty Python.

And later, in the Dillahunty, Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris camp, showing that confirmation bias ain't always a bad thing:
LK Washburn
Eddie Izzard,
Steven Fry,
Ricky Gervais,
Dan Dennett,
And not forgetting... Seth Andrews and everyone on this site.

Yes

It was a slow process of accumulated data, processed into information, becoming knowledge though context and experience and ultimately... wisdom.

It all starts with critical-thinking and a hunger... a desire to free yourself from ignorance.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2016, 12:59 PM
people like Q and call of the wild reinforce my atheism.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
[+] 5 users Like Leo's post
30-03-2016, 01:14 PM
I didn't start listening to or reading any atheists until after I had already identified as an atheist. That happened as a result of conversations with a buddy of mine during college.

Shortly after identifying as an atheist, I started reading Dawkins and Hitchens and listened to the Atheist Experience podcast while working in the lab. Eventually I started to get tired of the Atheist Experience. It can be quite repetitive and it entered this weird phase where they just started hanging up on theists all the time instead of engaging them. This was because the theists were always calling in with the same arguments. Which, I can understand why they get tired or rehashing the same arguments over and over again, but I hadn't heard all of them at that point so I wanted to hear what they had to say in rebuttal but they kept fucking hanging up! The Atheist Experience guys had another podcast called "the Non-Prophets" that I enjoyed more and I tried out a few other podcasts, TTA and the Friendly Atheist. I liked the Friendly Atheist but enjoyed Seth's more (his experience in radio showed in the quality of his shows and I liked the youtube videos) and then found this forum as a result of the TTA podcasts. I really enjoyed the Non-Prophets, but they went on a hiatus for a while and when they eventually came back, there was no more Matt Dilahunty, so I stopped listening to it.

I don't really listen to podcasts anymore, atheist or otherwise, but I have kept reading Hitchens and Dawkins when I find time.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
30-03-2016, 03:40 PM
Now that folks are talking about how they got into atheist material abd all that jazz.

I realize it's all cloudy for me. I suppose because so many more important things like relationships, college, etc. We're on my mind and it wasn't like I was ever a fearing or believing adult human. I think seeing a TTA video like the Suzy one or something like that at one point is what later drew me in to watching atheist driven media and books on it. It was still a period of time before I listened to the TTA podcast as I remember finally listening to it as background noise while I played a bunch of fable 1 & 2 and batman arkham asylum.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
30-03-2016, 04:37 PM

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
30-03-2016, 04:44 PM
No one turned me into an atheist, I made myself an atheist by examining the legitimacy of the Noah story and other Absurd notions the religions try to pass off as being knowledge of the universe and how everything is. Like the sun setting into murky waters, people living in the belly of fish for three days and being just hunky dory! Or magical floods and boats with animals on it that never fucking happened.

As for who made me into a atheist activist, that would be Dusty Smith, Darkmatter2525,David Silverman, TJ Kirk and Seth Andrews. Hitchens and Dawkins were also there as well.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
30-03-2016, 05:04 PM
Myself. When my desire to know overwhelmed my desire to believe.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
31-03-2016, 12:04 AM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2016 12:23 AM by Ace.)
Christians themselves are the reason for my atheism............. rather ironic isn't it

and my common sense not buying the bullshit at face value
31-03-2016, 08:15 AM
(28-03-2016 10:06 PM)Crazysaxer Wrote:  Obviously Seth Andrews had something to do with a lot of people who became an atheist on here, but who else? Youtube atheists like Theramintrees, Influential scientists like Richard Dawkins, or maybe just your friend. Share your stories here!

Well, the most influential person was my self. I have always been a person who questioned and wanted to know how I know something, not just the what. It was my own thinking that led me away from religion. However, I might have given up and stayed as a sort of deist forever or had some vague notion of a "something" out there If it were not for Ayn Rand and her philosophy of reason. Much more importantly I would have continued to have a hodge podge of ideas and contradictory notions filling my head without rhyme or reason. Losing religion is just a pittance of what I gained from learning Objectivism. I gained so much more. So I have to thank her for her work in discovering and validating the principles by which I lead my life which have brought me the peace and the confidence that religion never could have.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
05-04-2016, 07:05 AM
For making me an atheist, I'd like to thank my 2nd grade teacher, all the kids I went to school with from age 6 through about 15, the pastor of the church I was forced to go to as a kid, all the people there, and last but not least a fellow child of the 80's that had a price attached to being the only friend I had back in those days. For the second grade teacher, she felt it appropriate to always say no to my requests to use the bathroom so I went home with my clothes I arrived in, in a plastic bag. I always proved to have to go, but she seemed to like to say no. She even made fun of me. If I ever see her again, I will rip her head right off her shoulders in front of everyone. All the kids that made fun of me and made me feel weak, because I was a lot smaller than them. And of course the congregation of the church that turned their backs on me because my parents told them they could not tear out all the trees up to our back yard to put in street lights and a cell phone tower. The church leaders were more into money than people. I know this, because I put a tape recorder in the kitchen where they had all their meetings behind locked doors. They really didn't believe, it was only money to them. I wish I still had the recording. So, thanks to all the people that showed me at a very young age that the only person looking out for you is yourself.
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post