Most interesting form of religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Most interesting form of religion
I know that most people on here have a reasonable dislike for religion, otherwise they are unlikely to be here in the first place, but sometimes the religious mindset throws out some unique and fascinating things.

So, has anyone heard of any small, mostly unknown religions with either very interesting ideas or completely ridiculous ideas that they think will intrigue/amuse us?

My favourite has to be Cargo Cults, put briefly these cults still exist on Vanuatu and Papa New Guinea and they are made up of indigenous people who believe that the manufactured items that settlers receive by plane or boat are sent by Gods, and the actions these people undertake in their everyday lives are actually over-elaborate religious rituals. This leads to cults attempting to mimic this behaviour (including building crude replicas of buildings and equipment) in the hope of receiving cargo.

However, the most unusual religious group I have heard of, also on Vanuatu, is the Prince Philip Movement that, as the name suggests, worships Prince Philip. Apparently this is because of ancient legend they think he has fulfilled.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2011, 10:12 PM
RE: Most interesting form of religion
I wonder if the ancient legend of the Prince Philip Movement was about him insulting other people while in their own countries?. If so he's definitely their guy.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
17-08-2011, 04:55 AM
(16-08-2011 10:12 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  I wonder if the ancient legend of the Prince Philip Movement was about him insulting other people while in their own countries?. If so he's definitely their guy.

I was thinking that as well. Of all the members of the royal family to be deified isn't it ironic that it's the one who has offended almost every nation on earth.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
17-08-2011, 05:16 AM
I've found some more here http://www.oddee.com/item_67909.aspx
The first one called Raëlism they believe that scientifically advanced humanoid extraterrestrials created humans they also claim they are atheists. Can you truly be atheist if you believe in a creator? Can someone clarify this for me? as I don't think the two go together. The founder claims he was told by the aliens called Elohim (Hebrew for the word "God" as found in the Hebrew Old Testament) contacted about forty people to act as their prophets on Earth, among which are those who founded the world's major religions (Moses, Budha, Jesus, Muhammad, etc.). Interesting, though it seems a little convenient that only the founder was spoken to. and left no evidence of their existence if they wanted people to know of their existence why not leave some proof like some currently unsolved maths problem such as the Goldbach's conjecture. It is also debatable that jesus existed his origin story is clearly borrowed from other older religions. The rest of the cults in the link are just as bizarre some are just plain evil like the Solar Temple who killed a baby who was "the Anti-Christ". It's bizarre how people can form belief systems from the strangest thing like the cargo cults or a racist member of the royal family.

17-08-2011, 05:46 AM
(17-08-2011 05:16 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  I've found some more here http://www.oddee.com/item_67909.aspx
The first one called Raëlism they believe that scientifically advanced humanoid extraterrestrials created humans they also claim they are atheists. Can you truly be atheist if you believe in a creator? Can someone clarify this for me? as I don't think the two go together. The founder claims he was told by the aliens called Elohim (Hebrew for the word "God" as found in the Hebrew Old Testament) contacted about forty people to act as their prophets on Earth, among which are those who founded the world's major religions (Moses, Budha, Jesus, Muhammad, etc.). Interesting, though it seems a little convenient that only the founder was spoken to. and left no evidence of their existence if they wanted people to know of their existence why not leave some proof like some currently unsolved maths problem such as the Goldbach's conjecture. It is also debatable that jesus existed his origin story is clearly borrowed from other older religions. The rest of the cults in the link are just as bizarre some are just plain evil like the Solar Temple who killed a baby who was "the Anti-Christ". It's bizarre how people can form belief systems from the strangest thing like the cargo cults or a racist member of the royal family.

Atheism is the lack of belief in a deity so I suppose you could be an atheist and creationist as long as you believe that the creator wasn't a deity. I think Raelism falls into that category. I suppose calling the aliens 'god' (or a historical name for god) would also make sense in a way as I'm sure if people 2000 years ago met a very technologically advanced species they would automatically assume them to be Gods and label them as such.

Gotta be honest though, I think the leader of Raelism has a couple of screws loose and a very vivid imagination. That or he thinks there's a profit to be made somewhere.

Just read the rest of the cults on the link. Makes me think that their must be no end to human stupidity, I mean who the hell would pay $900 for a foot reading from someone who claims to be the reincarnation of Jesus AND the Buddha.

Best
Worst
17-08-2011, 06:46 AM
(17-08-2011 05:46 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  .

Atheism is the lack of belief in a deity so I suppose you could be an atheist and creationist as long as you believe that the creator wasn't a deity. I think Raelism falls into that category. I suppose calling the aliens 'god' (or a historical name for god) would also make sense in a way as I'm sure if people 2000 years ago met a very technologically advanced species they would automatically assume them to be Gods and label them as such.

Gotta be honest though, I think the leader of Raelism has a couple of screws loose and a very vivid imagination. That or he thinks there's a profit to be made somewhere.

Just read the rest of the cults on the link. Makes me think that their must be no end to human stupidity, I mean who the hell would pay $900 for a foot reading from someone who claims to be the reincarnation of Jesus AND the Buddha.
Wouldn't defining Atheism as the lack of belief in a deity also cover a creator as well? Both require faith and feeling over empirical evidence. Part of atheism is being skeptical of supernatural claims, due to lack of empirical evidence which I think covers a creator I may be wrong.

As soon as I read about the Raelism leader being visited the first thing that sprang to mind was. He's got to be making money from this somewhere. They seem strange in many ways but also seem more enlightened than most mainstream religions for example they are against the suppression of feminine acts of pleasure, including sexual intercourse with men or women. Something seen as a sin by some faiths.Though many of the women apparently work in the sex industry. There's more details on their wiki page http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raëlism#c...ng_life-58 it also looks like the founder like many cult leaders uses it as a way to manipulate people into sex. I'm only basing this on the info on the wiki page. Yeah that foot one is strange Taking anything psychics do and charging $900 to do it instantly sets off alarm bells for me. " Fukunaga charged $900 for the foot readings and a suspicion arose that he used the money to benefit himself" well what else would he be using it for if not to benefit himself. I guess some people just need to believe in something. Unfortunately these are the people who are most likely to be exploited by anyone with an agenda for money, sex and power.

17-08-2011, 06:56 AM
(17-08-2011 06:46 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Wouldn't defining Atheism as the lack of belief in a deity also cover a creator as well? Both require faith and feeling over empirical evidence. Part of atheism is being skeptical of supernatural claims, due to lack of empirical evidence which I think covers a creator I may be wrong.

As soon as I read about the Raelism leader being visited the first thing that sprang to mind was. He's got to be making money from this somewhere. They seem strange in many ways but also seem more enlightened than most mainstream religions for example they are against the suppression of feminine acts of pleasure, including sexual intercourse with men or women. Something seen as a sin by some faiths.Though many of the women apparently work in the sex industry. There's more details on their wiki page http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raëlism#c...ng_life-58 it also looks like the founder like many cult leaders uses it as a way to manipulate people into sex. I'm only basing this on the info on the wiki page. Yeah that foot one is strange Taking anything psychics do and charging $900 to do it instantly sets off alarm bells for me. " Fukunaga charged $900 for the foot readings and a suspicion arose that he used the money to benefit himself" well what else would he be using it for if not to benefit himself. I guess some people just need to believe in something. Unfortunately these are the people who are most likely to be exploited by anyone with an agenda for money, sex and power.

I'm not sure on the creation and atheism point. It may be that there isn't a set answer if that makes sense. The term atheism may not cover the subject of extra-terrestrial life specifically, meaning it is down to the individual interpretation of each person.

On Fukunga, these cults usually seem to have some sexual implications, maybe he had a foot fetish. Can't think of a more perfect life for someone with a foot fetish than to be paid huge sums of money to feel peoples feet and even be revered as a sort of demi-god for it.

Best
Worst
19-08-2011, 05:41 PM
I once came across a vagina worshipping cult.
I'm still not 100% sure it wasn't a trolling group, but these people had a 200 page book about why the vagina is the most important thing in the world.

I'd love to get some references if anyone else heard of it because last time I read about them was back when the internet prevented the phone from working. xD

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
19-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Never heard of it but it sounds interesting if its real.

Hope your successful in find more info on it but it may prove difficult, you may get some interesting finds if you type 'vagina worshipping cult' into google Big Grin.

Best
Worst
20-08-2011, 08:34 PM
(19-08-2011 05:41 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I once came across a vagina worshipping cult.
I'm still not 100% sure it wasn't a trolling group, but these people had a 200 page book about why the vagina is the most important thing in the world.

I'd love to get some references if anyone else heard of it because last time I read about them was back when the internet prevented the phone from working. xD

if they had a church ...

the doors would be ...

"In real life , as opposed to that happy, clappy, rainbow fantasy world that you see fit to fly through on your winged unicorn of delusion" - Mitchell and Webb