Most religious states: Where do you fit?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2014, 07:11 AM
RE: Most religious states: Where do you fit?
And that's why I left my home state of Mississippi..
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2014, 07:23 AM
PA = #22.

I'm in western PA, and the events of the catholic church in Pittsburgh are part and parcel of the evening TV news.

Out here in the sticks, not so much. This little town had 5 churches, but we have lost 3 over the past 20 years or so. Then we gained a JW and a couple never-heard-of-them cult types with 8 members that meet in someone's living room. Rolleyes

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
25-08-2014, 08:29 AM
Wisconsin, #31 (61%). However, it feels like I'm farther down the list, because I live in Madison, which is considerably more liberal (and presumably less religious) than Wisconsin in general. Religion is a presence here, but not an oppressive one. Madison is also the headquarters of the Freedom from Religion Foundation. I have actually met Annie Laurie Gaylor. /name-dropping
25-08-2014, 09:42 AM
Alabama is second on the most religious states list. But that one was easy to assume. Tongue
25-08-2014, 09:49 AM
I live on the outskirts of Charlotte, NC which sits on the border of NC and SC. For close to 15 years I lived on the northwest side of town in NC (#8) and this summer we moved south of the city across the state line to SC (#3).

In fact, down the street from my house is the Former Heritage USA campus from the Jim & Tammy Faye Baker days. Billy Graham Library is near the airport. Loads of ginormous churches and thousands of zombie-like Christian followers. And those lovely Ebola missionary charities call this place home too.

We also have ABC stores (liquor) & strip clubs everywhere and everyone drives like they are in a NASCAR race ( we have that Hall of Fame too)

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
25-08-2014, 11:04 AM
California. It's like tenth or so, right around 50%.

Most of the people I know in california are either atheist or those fuzzy inbetweeners. The mormons, the jehovahs, and christian immigrants (mostly russian and ukrainian kids) do have a presence here. It makes for an odd mixture.
25-08-2014, 01:35 PM
I live in CA which Was 13th from the bottom. Bit I probably live inone of the least religious parts of CA being in the Silicon Valley. There are a lot of churches here still but considering almost 2 million people live in this county, there is not that many.
25-08-2014, 02:15 PM
Michigan which is about in the middle. I'll take it lol

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
25-08-2014, 03:21 PM (This post was last modified: 25-08-2014 03:25 PM by GirlyMan.)
Maryland's 65% is misleading 'cause that ain't all fundies. We have an extremely diverse religious population so that number includes not only Christians of various sects (the Seventh Day Adventist World Headquarters is within walking distance of my house, but so is a Hindu temple, a Buddhist temple, 2 UU assemblies, 2 synagogues, 1 Baptist Church and 1 Evangelical Church) but also Buddhists, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Sikhs, Shinto, and a shitload of others I never even heard of (Bahá'í anyone). There ain't many fundies around here 'cause there's just nobody that can be bothered to listen to them.

BE THE GOD BITCHES! - Bob
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
25-08-2014, 03:27 PM
(25-08-2014 03:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Maryland's 65% is misleading 'cause that ain't all fundies. We have an extremely diverse religious population so that number includes not only Christians of various sects (the Seventh Day Adventist World Headquarters is within walking distance of my house, but so is a Hindu temple, a Buddhist temple, 2 UU assemblies, 2 synagogues, 1 Baptist Church and 1 Evangelical Church) but also Buddhists, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Sikhs, Shinto, and a shitload of others I never even heard of (Bahá'í anyone). There ain't many fundies around here 'cause there's just nobody that can be bothered to listen to them.

Go Maryland!

And the fundies do exist, they just congregate in the more rural counties.

[Image: giphy.gif]