Most unusual religious saying you've heard

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2016, 10:06 PM
Most unusual religious saying you've heard
So this thought just popped into my brain and I thought you guys might have some interesting responses. My mother was and is quite religious so she always avoided talking about luck in any form, as did the rest of my former church (we didn't have potlucks, we had pot providences). Once, early on in my de conversion journey, my mom used the phrase "no such blessing" instead of "no such luck" and I kind of wanted to throw up at how contrived it sounded.
What kinds of similar things have you heard from religious people (or said yourself)?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes debna27's post
12-03-2016, 01:01 AM
RE: Most unusual religious saying you've heard
(11-03-2016 10:06 PM)debna27 Wrote:  So this thought just popped into my brain and I thought you guys might have some interesting responses. My mother was and is quite religious so she always avoided talking about luck in any form, as did the rest of my former church (we didn't have potlucks, we had pot providences). Once, early on in my de conversion journey, my mom used the phrase "no such blessing" instead of "no such luck" and I kind of wanted to throw up at how contrived it sounded.
What kinds of similar things have you heard from religious people (or said yourself)?
Well this is common but I have many friends who refuse to cuss so they just add similar sounding words to replace a cuss word. I've always thought this is hilarious because no matter what the phonetics are the phrase with the cuss word didn't alter at all in meaning. Haha a side note to this I have a friend who tried quitting cussing and she would catch herself doing this exact same thing. Which she also thought was wrong so she would just start adding random words to the phrase in an attempt to get rid of the meaning. for example she would say something like "fudge!.. popsicles.... are good" Then we would bust up laughing about how ridiculous the attempt was.
12-03-2016, 01:29 AM
Holy Hedgehog (Jeżu Przenajświętszy) - it makes sense only in Polish as Jesus is sometimes shortened to Jezu and in that form only one letter - Jezu vs. Jeżu - separates son of god from common and adorable Hedgehog.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
12-03-2016, 09:47 AM
(12-03-2016 01:29 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Holy Hedgehog (Jeżu Przenajświętszy) - it makes sense only in Polish as Jesus is sometimes shortened to Jezu and in that form only one letter - Jezu vs. Jeżu - separates son of god from common and adorable Hedgehog.

I love that! Even though I'm an English speaker I may start using that when I'm working with kids Smile The play on words will be my little secret from them.
[+] 1 user Likes debna27's post
15-03-2016, 12:08 PM
I think given another 20 30 years. Curse words that we find offensive today will fall in the same camp as many of the old curse words that have faded into obscraty.

Jay (Asshole)
Humbug (Old english for Bullshit.)
Scumbag (in the 1930's slang for a used condom)
Fascinate (Roman times people would carry around these penis pendents called Fascinare, it was to entice people into having sex with people in their orgy's.)

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
16-03-2016, 03:59 PM
I have heard religious people say God helps those who help themselves
18-03-2016, 11:12 AM
(16-03-2016 03:59 PM)Ron2500 Wrote:  I have heard religious people say God helps those who help themselves

As have I. It seems like an effort to combat the fear that god isn't real that they get when he doesn't respond to prayer or seem to show his existence at all. It's both frustrating and kind of sad at the same time.
18-03-2016, 02:16 PM
Said at a burial:

In the name of the father
and of the son
In the hole he goes.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
[+] 3 users Like god has no twitter account's post
18-03-2016, 02:21 PM
(18-03-2016 02:16 PM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  Said at a burial:

and of the son
In the hole he goes.

hahahaha, did you come up with that yourself?

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
18-03-2016, 02:26 PM
(18-03-2016 02:21 PM)Imathinker Wrote:  
(18-03-2016 02:16 PM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  Said at a burial:

and of the son
In the hole he goes.

hahahaha, did you come up with that yourself?

I would like to say yes but a guy called David Frost did way back in 1966.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored