Mother!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-09-2017, 09:46 AM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2017 09:56 AM by Kaneda.)
Mother!
Synopsis: “A couple's relationship is tested when uninvited guests arrive at their home, disrupting their tranquil existence."
Director: Darren Aronofsky
Writer: Darren Aronofsky
Cast:
Jennifer Lawrence as mother
Javier Bardem as Him
Ed Harris as Man
Michelle Pfeiffer as Woman
Domhnall Gleeson as Oldest Son
Brian Gleeson as Younger Brother
Kristen Wiig as Herald
Jovan Adepo as Cupbearer
Stephen McHattie as Zealot

[Image: Mother-1.jpg]

I felt like I had just gotten punched in the gut, or like someone just ripped my heart out and then reattached it in all the wrong places. I felt sick and gross and anxious, and yet….I think I want to see it again. This is a very cerebral story that goes to dark places in to castigate Man for his mindless abuse of religion, of the Earth and of each other.

So, I’m just wondering if anyone else has seen it, and what kind of impression the movie left on people’s minds. Given the biblical symbolism and on-the-head criticism of Christianity under-girding the entire film, I think this forum ought to be all over this.

"Men willingly believe what they wish." -Julius Caesar
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-09-2017, 11:59 AM
RE: Mother!
(17-09-2017 09:46 AM)Kaneda Wrote:  Synopsis: “A couple's relationship is tested when uninvited guests arrive at their home, disrupting their tranquil existence."
Director: Darren Aronofsky
Writer: Darren Aronofsky
Cast:
Jennifer Lawrence as mother
Javier Bardem as Him
Ed Harris as Man
Michelle Pfeiffer as Woman
Domhnall Gleeson as Oldest Son
Brian Gleeson as Younger Brother
Kristen Wiig as Herald
Jovan Adepo as Cupbearer
Stephen McHattie as Zealot

[Image: Mother-1.jpg]

I felt like I had just gotten punched in the gut, or like someone just ripped my heart out and then reattached it in all the wrong places. I felt sick and gross and anxious, and yet….I think I want to see it again. This is a very cerebral story that goes to dark places in to castigate Man for his mindless abuse of religion, of the Earth and of each other.

So, I’m just wondering if anyone else has seen it, and what kind of impression the movie left on people’s minds. Given the biblical symbolism and on-the-head criticism of Christianity under-girding the entire film, I think this forum ought to be all over this.

I'll admit I'm kinda curious. I might wait for Netflix/Amazon Prime or HBO to get tho.

But I've added it to my netflix thing so I won't forget about it.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-09-2017, 01:26 PM
(17-09-2017 11:59 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(17-09-2017 09:46 AM)Kaneda Wrote:  So, I’m just wondering if anyone else has seen it, and what kind of impression the movie left on people’s minds. Given the biblical symbolism and on-the-head criticism of Christianity under-girding the entire film, I think this forum ought to be all over this.

I'll admit I'm kinda curious.

Spoiler free review.

Also, this is Darren Aronofsky film, the dude who directed Russell Crowe in NOAH.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
18-09-2017, 07:51 PM
Daron Aronofsky's "Mother" is both a spectacular flop and the most memorable movie of 2017

"Audiences are hating Mother!, the latest thriller from the auteur director Darren Aronofsky.

The film received a rare “F” grade from the research firm CinemaScore, which assesses audience reaction to a film before it’s released widely. Mother! then flopped when it opened to theaters in the US last weekend, earning just $7 million—well short of its projections.

By most measures, Mother! was an incredible failure for Paramount Pictures, the studio that took a risk and financed Aronofsky’s project. But that’s exactly why you need to see it.

Three days after seeing it, I still don’t know if I “liked” or “disliked” the film. I have to think about it more. But I do know that, regardless of my final opinion on its merits, I appreciate that a major Hollywood film distributor agreed to bankroll such an audacious film and sell it to general audiences. In a sea of unnecessary sequels and reboots and cynical franchise grabs, it’s refreshing to see a studio actually take a risk on something different."

https://qz.com/1080287/darren-aronofskys...e-of-2017/

"Men willingly believe what they wish." -Julius Caesar
[+] 2 users Like Kaneda's post
18-09-2017, 08:52 PM

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
19-09-2017, 06:49 AM
(18-09-2017 08:52 PM)Banjo Wrote:  

I see your mother and I raise you...

[+] 2 users Like Sushisnake's post
19-09-2017, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the reviews of 'Mother!' - it's on my to see list.
19-09-2017, 08:20 AM (This post was last modified: 19-09-2017 08:23 AM by Thoreauvian.)
Here's an interesting article that at least explains what the movie is about:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/19/movie...&smtyp=cur

I'm skeptical of movies with a message, since movies excel at emotional impacts. I prefer reading unambiguous messages from books, and go to movies for entertainment.
This movie doesn't sound very entertaining. I don't enjoy seeing people tortured. So I doubt I will watch it.
19-09-2017, 08:29 AM
One of my besties went and saw it...she said it was terrible.

It made black swan look like it totally made sense.

This sorta makes me want to see it more.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post