'Mother Earth' to be given same rights as humans under UN planTreaty: Bolivian Presid

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2011, 10:24 AM

'Mother Earth' to be given same rights as humans under UN planTreaty: Bolivian Presid
'Mother Earth' to be given same rights as humans under UN plan

By Catherine Eade
April 12, 2011

Treaty: Bolivian President Evo Morales wants the UN to recognize the Earth as a living entity

Bolivia is drawing up a draft UN treaty which would give Mother Earth the same rights as humans, including the right to life, to pure water and clean air.

The South American country wants the UN to recognize the Earth as a living entity that humans have sought to 'dominate and exploit'.

It aims to establish 11 new rights for nature which include: the right to life and to exist; the right to continue vital cycles and processes free from human alteration; the right to pure water and clean air; the right to balance; the right not to be polluted; and the right to not have cellular structure modified or genetically altered.
(Full Story @ Mail Online)
Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2011, 08:00 PM
RE: 'Mother Earth' to be given same rights as humans under UN planTreaty: Bolivian Presid
The eco-systems of the earth are conglomerates of living entities and their destruction is having a very negative effect on living conditions for the peoples of the world. Since big corperations have no respect for people or the enviornment, (unless forced to), a method like this may be the only way to truely get some serious eco-friendlness happening.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2011, 10:44 AM

RE: 'Mother Earth' to be given same rights as humans under UN planTreaty: Bolivian Presid
(15-04-2011 08:00 PM)No J. Wrote:  The eco-systems of the earth are conglomerates of living entities and their destruction is having a very negative effect on living conditions for the peoples of the world. Since big corperations have no respect for people or the enviornment, (unless forced to), a method like this may be the only way to truely get some serious eco-friendlness happening.

I agree, and if it stops corporations from doing more abuse, I support it wholeheartedly.
Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2012, 03:40 PM
RE: 'Mother Earth' to be given same rights as humans under UN planTreaty: Bolivian Pr
Conditioning people towards ignorance (whatever the cause) will only end badly. With people conditioned towards ignorance, the next person just has to say "Mother nature is sentient and vengeful, hence the hurricanes, droughts, etc. Allow us to pollute (and make trillions) and beat her into submission." It's just as ludicrous, and people who are conditioned towards ignorance, they'll accept it (or enough will).

Education - and reality based decision making is always preferable. "There are corporations that make trillions. They destroy the environment, and make you sick. They use those trillions to lobby to gain subsidies, and pollute more, and make more money. Rinse and repeat. Now, lets stop this bullsh!t. Take corporate money out of politics, and raise environmental standards."
06-10-2012, 04:22 PM
I like it, it may sound dumb at first sight but I guess the idea is to follow the Ecuadorian constitution to do this, and that's an awesome piece of legislation in that topic.
It doesn't treat nature as a sentient being or anything like it, it gives rights to nature and allows anyone to represent it in a court of justice. Pretty much like corporations have rights and the some other people can represent it.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]