"Mother God" people on my campus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2015, 08:03 PM
"Mother God" people on my campus
Oh my gosh, y'all. Today was strange.

There are these people on my campus. They chalk on the ground a lot with sayings like "THANK FATHER AND MOTHER" and then with Bible references under them. I clocked their kookiness from day one (for the record).

They stand outside the library at my school, at a point in campus where pretty much everyone has to go. I can usually avoid them by going around (the long way), but not today.

As I was walking, I smiled at one of them, as I didn't want to be rude and pretend they weren't there. Then he asked me "Do you study the Bible?" I proudly responded "No, I'm an atheist". This felt amazing, by the way. He seemed puzzled, so he gave me a tract from his group and moved onto the next person (funny, I always see these people engaging in long conversations with others about religion - maybe he didn't want to try with an atheist. I'm going to pretend it was my proud atheism and intimidating demeanor that turned him off).

I went home and looked up their group. I had heard of them before. They believe that Jesus came back int he person of a Korean man in the 1940s, and that his wife was the "mother" talked about in the Bible. This stuff was far out, but honestly, it was no more hard to believe than traditional Catholic theology (as Julia Sweeney says - I'm just so used to that story.)

I've heard these people in the library. They come in and interrupt people doing their homework in the mid-afternoons. I keep my headphones handy so they think I'm otherwise engaged with music or whatever. One time I listened to an amusing exchange of two guys - one trying to recruit the other to this religion, and the other trying to recruit the religious guy to his fraternity. Neither was interested in what the other was peddling.

This lead me to an interesting idea. These groups seem to pray on very impressionable people, the type who believe in "god", and maybe even attend church, but don't take their religion seriously. They offer something that old churches don't - certainty, energy, and novelty. As I was a pretty confident atheist, maybe they didn't think I was a likely candidate (I imagine if I was decked out in the regalia of some religion, and this firm in my philosophies, they would also have passed me up.)

Religious groups coming on to college campuses to recruit young people is creepy, especially a cult like this group.

Also - the fun part about being gay is that if I mention it, usually the person who is trying to convert me loses interest. So that's a plus. Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like FreeThinker1994's post
06-08-2015, 09:24 PM
RE: "Mother God" people on my campus
Moonies!

(Yes, they're really called that.)

Congrats on your first assertion of rationality. Big Grin

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
06-08-2015, 09:38 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2015 09:56 PM by FreeThinker1994.)
(06-08-2015 09:24 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Moonies!

(Yes, they're really called that.)

Congrats on your first assertion of rationality. Big Grin

Surprisingly enough, they're not Moonies. They're another group who think Jesus came back in another Korean guy. Their Jesus #2 is called Ahn-Sang Hong. Or something like that.

People on campus are eating it up, too. The mooks. Facepalm

And thank you!
[+] 1 user Likes FreeThinker1994's post
06-08-2015, 10:33 PM
Some of these guys came knocking on my door, I asked them a few questions and they said they'll come back. That was sometime last year...I'm still waiting...

Atir aissom atir imon
06-08-2015, 10:54 PM
(06-08-2015 08:03 PM)FreeThinker1994 Wrote:  Then he asked me "Do you study the Bible?" I proudly responded "No, I'm an atheist".

If this happens again say "Why yes, that's why I am an atheist," and see their reaction.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
06-08-2015, 10:57 PM
(06-08-2015 10:54 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 08:03 PM)FreeThinker1994 Wrote:  Then he asked me "Do you study the Bible?" I proudly responded "No, I'm an atheist".

If this happens again say "Why yes, that's why I am an atheist," and see their reaction.

That's perfect!
07-08-2015, 08:30 AM
(06-08-2015 08:03 PM)FreeThinker1994 Wrote:  Oh my gosh, y'all. Today was strange.

There are these people on my campus. They chalk on the ground a lot with sayings like "THANK FATHER AND MOTHER" and then with Bible references under them. I clocked their kookiness from day one (for the record).

They stand outside the library at my school, at a point in campus where pretty much everyone has to go. I can usually avoid them by going around (the long way), but not today.

As I was walking, I smiled at one of them, as I didn't want to be rude and pretend they weren't there. Then he asked me "Do you study the Bible?" I proudly responded "No, I'm an atheist". This felt amazing, by the way. He seemed puzzled, so he gave me a tract from his group and moved onto the next person (funny, I always see these people engaging in long conversations with others about religion - maybe he didn't want to try with an atheist. I'm going to pretend it was my proud atheism and intimidating demeanor that turned him off).

I went home and looked up their group. I had heard of them before. They believe that Jesus came back int he person of a Korean man in the 1940s, and that his wife was the "mother" talked about in the Bible. This stuff was far out, but honestly, it was no more hard to believe than traditional Catholic theology (as Julia Sweeney says - I'm just so used to that story.)

I've heard these people in the library. They come in and interrupt people doing their homework in the mid-afternoons. I keep my headphones handy so they think I'm otherwise engaged with music or whatever. One time I listened to an amusing exchange of two guys - one trying to recruit the other to this religion, and the other trying to recruit the religious guy to his fraternity. Neither was interested in what the other was peddling.

This lead me to an interesting idea. These groups seem to pray on very impressionable people, the type who believe in "god", and maybe even attend church, but don't take their religion seriously. They offer something that old churches don't - certainty, energy, and novelty. As I was a pretty confident atheist, maybe they didn't think I was a likely candidate (I imagine if I was decked out in the regalia of some religion, and this firm in my philosophies, they would also have passed me up.)

Religious groups coming on to college campuses to recruit young people is creepy, especially a cult like this group.

Also - the fun part about being gay is that if I mention it, usually the person who is trying to convert me loses interest. So that's a plus. Thumbsup

If you get the chance, ask them how you can reliably distinguish what they are calling "the father and the mother" from something they are merely imagining. That's all anyone needs to ask any mystic in order to shut them down for good. Works every time.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
07-08-2015, 12:16 PM
Free thinker, it is great to see you enjoying who you are. You could also say: "I don't bother with a book that says I am a fool and should be stoned to death".
07-08-2015, 01:16 PM
Quote: They chalk on the ground a lot with sayings like "THANK FATHER AND MOTHER" and then with Bible references under them.

Sounds like a fine place to piss, though.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
12-08-2015, 11:00 AM
I am now looking forward to getting back to class next week. We don't get those nutters but we do get the flat-earthers