Mother Teresa to be Canonized

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2015, 04:52 PM
RE: Mother Teresa to be Canonized
Isn't her miracle how well she is respected?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like ClydeLee's post
18-12-2015, 07:00 PM
It wouldn't be the first time a person would gain sainthood even if they have blood on their hands. Hell, there is even a few saints that killed people with their own hands (even Christians). It's just a VIP status in the Catholic Church. I wouldn't loose sleep over a dead body receiving an honor only respected by fundamentalists and uninformed people.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 3 users Like epronovost's post
18-12-2015, 07:21 PM
Mother Superior jump the gun.
Mother Superior jump the gun.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
18-12-2015, 07:44 PM
(18-12-2015 12:07 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(18-12-2015 06:17 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  While I can respect some of her work,

Not at all saying this to be disrespectful, but I'd like to know -- I'm curious that way...

What work do you respect?

Because I can't think of anything she did worthy of respect.

She lost her faith?
She didn't reproduce?
She died?
That's all I could come up with although admittedly, it's a stretch.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
18-12-2015, 10:06 PM
Mother Teresa to be Canonized
Even when I was Catholic, I never got the whole sainthood thing. If memory serves, the mother of St Augustine was sainted. She just prayed for her asshole son to learn his evil ways. When he got his ass kicked, he turned to Jebus. So she got sainted for praying a lot.

I never liked the idea of praying to a saint to ask for help with Big Daddy and Junior. And don't dare bring up the fact we're not supposed to pray to anything except Gawd.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
19-12-2015, 08:22 AM
(18-12-2015 01:22 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  I seem to remember hearing or reading somewhere that mother Teresa had lost here faith and was unable to believe any more. Is that right? If so then they are going to make a saint out of an atheist.
That is correct, although I am sure that the RCC portrays it instead as a heroic, triumphant struggle with a "dark night of the soul".

The elevator version is that she became a nun in the flush of her initial enthusiasm for the faith but the subjective personal experience she had of god's presence in her life left her almost immediately, never to return. She spent her whole life tormented by the sense that she was a fraud and had no real relationship with god -- who, as a nun, she is supposed to be "married" to. She was miserable and unhappy about it and her private diaries document it all. She asked for those private letters to be destroyed upon her death but for whatever reason they were not, and they give an interesting glimpse into her personal purgatory.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
19-12-2015, 02:27 PM
(19-12-2015 08:22 AM)mordant Wrote:  
(18-12-2015 01:22 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  I seem to remember hearing or reading somewhere that mother Teresa had lost here faith and was unable to believe any more. Is that right? If so then they are going to make a saint out of an atheist.
That is correct, although I am sure that the RCC portrays it instead as a heroic, triumphant struggle with a "dark night of the soul".

The elevator version is that she became a nun in the flush of her initial enthusiasm for the faith but the subjective personal experience she had of god's presence in her life left her almost immediately, never to return. She spent her whole life tormented by the sense that she was a fraud and had no real relationship with god -- who, as a nun, she is supposed to be "married" to. She was miserable and unhappy about it and her private diaries document it all. She asked for those private letters to be destroyed upon her death but for whatever reason they were not, and they give an interesting glimpse into her personal purgatory.

That's also fairly common among saints to be filled with doubt about their life path and their own faith. Many were very conflicted about their place in the Church especially when they achieved some renown. Many even rejected their faith at some point. This up and down attitude seems to be considered a form of virtue or right of passage in the higher sphere of the Catholic church. This is especially true for women saints who were all famous for suffering of doubt or self mortification. Mother Theresa is an excellent example of a Catholic saint in that regard.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
19-12-2015, 02:38 PM
(18-12-2015 06:17 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
Quote:In this case, a Brazilian man with multiple brain tumors was healed after loved ones prayed to Mother Teresa to heal him[/i]
I do like the idea that these Catholics are praying to dead people rather than to their own god. God is irrelevant after all.

So it seems, they believe that when certain people die, they continue to exist but they acquire magical powers and use those magical powers to answer some people's prayer wishes. Because of course, the dead are greatly concerned for the wishes of the living.
19-12-2015, 03:55 PM
(19-12-2015 02:38 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(18-12-2015 06:17 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
I do like the idea that these Catholics are praying to dead people rather than to their own god. God is irrelevant after all.

So it seems, they believe that when certain people die, they continue to exist but they acquire magical powers and use those magical powers to answer some people's prayer wishes. Because of course, the dead are greatly concerned for the wishes of the living.

Well, technically they don't really pray to the dead person...they ask them for prayers.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

19-12-2015, 05:44 PM
(19-12-2015 03:55 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(19-12-2015 02:38 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I do like the idea that these Catholics are praying to dead people rather than to their own god. God is irrelevant after all.

Well, technically they don't really pray to the dead person...they ask them for prayers.

Isn't asking dead people for prayers idolatry?

Hypocritical catholics.