Mother-in-law rant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2015, 12:03 PM
Mother-in-law rant
Facepalm So my mother-in-law is educationally a smart person, has a PhD in psychology but... she also loves her naturopathy bull shit. She works a college counselor and I know that she is steering at least one student towards going to a naturopathy medical school. Apparently this is a really good school to study bull shit medicine at. Facepalm I hate to see this student being steered down a terrible path and career choice but I also don't think its my place to say something. Frusty I should note that myself and my wife and two small children live with said mother-in-law rent free and I don't really want to jeopardize that because we are recovering from being unemployed for two fucking years. My wife knows how I feel about this crap and I don't want her philosophy around our kids which is why I take every opportunity to teach them about science and math. I've already had them show people how to warp space to travel across galaxies faster, next up is quantum mechanics and chaos theory (writing a short paper on chaos theory right now actually). Did I mention my kids are 4 and 3, so very impressionable and the fact my son asked me to watch Bill (that would be Bill Nye the Science Guy on Netflix) brought pure happiness to me. Einstein

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

-Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2015, 05:17 PM
RE: Mother-in-law rant
The only thing worse than a mother in law with an counter opinion -- is being neutered with a 9 lbs sledgehammer.............

And at least with the sledgehammer - it's over quickly.....

Mother-in-laws go on for nearly forever..................................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
19-06-2015, 07:14 PM
Here, friend. You need this:

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
19-06-2015, 07:16 PM
I have a creationist MIL. I feel your pain.

BUT

I try to live by the "I won't stick my nose in your business, and you keep your nose out of my business"

especially where my inlaws are concerned, because the last person I want an opinion from is them.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
19-06-2015, 07:52 PM
Does naturopathy have to be anti-science?
19-06-2015, 09:05 PM
(19-06-2015 07:52 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Does naturopathy have to be anti-science?

No, sometimes it's just non-science.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
20-06-2015, 01:52 AM
(19-06-2015 07:52 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Does naturopathy have to be anti-science?

Naturopathy assumes vitalism. Vitalism is bullshit, disproved long ago.

So, yeah, pretty much anti-science.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-06-2015, 10:05 AM
Naturopathy is expensive water.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
22-06-2015, 04:26 PM
The placebo effect which can still work. I saw it in action. Science is eons away from finding just what the brain is capable of and better yet, why.
26-06-2015, 12:24 AM
There are genuine medical schools that are graduating real legit licensed naturopathic medical doctors who can do surgery and get real legit jobs in hospitals and then there are the BS mail order ones. It's not all crap.

I treat my depression and autoimmune disease with a combination of conventional treatment and "alternative" treatments like diet, some well researched herbs, yoga and meditation. The U.S. has a bureau devoted to doing studies on alternative treatments and quite a few of them have been proven to be effective. Quite a few are crap, too, though! My point is that there is a difference between unproven and disproven. It's not all junk science. My rheumatologist always tells me that I am doing far better than most of her other patients and that my long term prognosis is excellent because of everything I do.

I will admit that I am guilty of cramming health stuff down my son's throat. I don't want him to go through what I deal with! A lot of health issues can be prevented. He is appreciative that I am teaching my grandson how to make healthy choices. I know this because he has thanked me.

I don't know if your mother-in-law is legit or following the BS? Sounds like a great opportunity to teach your kids about the scientific method and research studies as they get older!
[+] 1 user Likes ThatAtheistChick's post